IGNORED

Oil Leak - Top of Left Rear Cylinder

I have oil collecting at the top of the left rear cylinder just below the chrome cover. I thought it was only occurring while running, but the bike has been sitting in the garage since Dec. 7th at which time I cleaned it thoroughly. While installing a Speed Bleeder and changing my clutch fluid over the weekend, I found oil there again. On the car I'd suspect a valve cover gasket. Do I have a valve cover gasket or similar on my RSV? Suggestions welcome.

Ken

My 99 leaks oil there from the gasket. Since yours is an 06 its still under warranty. That being said, there is another issue that could cause it to leak from that corner too. The bike calls for adding 3.9 qts of oil during an oil change. Since the bike leans so far over on the sidestand, excess oil pools up in the chamber under the gas tank and can seep out over time. One solution is to add only 3.5 qts of oil when changing your oil. Mine initially leaked when I had full oil capacity but stopped leaking once I went with 3.5 qts. My current leak is from the cover gasket though.

You can check your cover gasket by degreasing the area and seeing if it leaks again. You can also snug down the valve cover bolts a little as they may have loosened a little.

If its the cover leaking it should be covered under warranty.

This was a very timely post. I noticed the same leak on my 99 RSV and have been checking the gasket area. I did recently change the oil and followed the recommendations with 3.9 Qt.s. It has not been ridden much with the weather being cold and that is when I noticed the little puddle of oil. I think I will drain some of the oil out and see if that helps.

Question though, are the valve cover gaskets separate for each cylinder, or does it cover a pair of cylinders?

Interesting post - this is the first I have seen of complaints about leaking valve cover gaskets on these bikes, so it is not real common unless they are not put together propperly after checking the valves. But I can explain why one may continue leaking even if the engine has not been run. The heads have a large triangular pocket in the outer corner that will hold a lot of oil right up against the cover gasket while on the side stand, so if the gasket is leaking there, it will just continue to leak after it is wiped off. In fact, this corner pocket holds enough oil that it will run all over the engine when you remove the cover!

You might be able to fix the problem by simply tightening the valve cover bolts - the gaskets are thick rubber, so they are easier to fix by re-torquing than a paper or cork gasket. But BE CAREFUL; the torque spec on those bolts is VERY low, so don't just grab a wrench and start twisting with your calibrated wrist. Best to look it up and use a torque wrench. The chrome covers come off with just two bolts, and then the cover bolts are very easy to access. But if your bike is still under warranty, I'd definitely suggest you have them fix it. If the gaskets actually need to be changed, it is a HUGE amount of work. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I also have the same situation on my '07 that I bought in '08. I've noticed this very small oil leak 3 months ago. I am the only one that change oil on my bike and the oil sight glass is always at the midpoint...so the crankcase is not really full of oil. The gasket remains to be moist with oil and it does not even drip on the sides the of jugs...fortunately it is not a dripping oil scenario. With my constant observation, I also noticed that sometimes the gasket will remail moist on that corner and sometimes not at all after a few days of riding it everday.

I know it will have to be fixed someday under warranty. I may take a ride down to the dealers this weekend to show them what I mean.

This was a very timely post. I noticed the same leak on my 99 RSV and have been checking the gasket area. I did recently change the oil and followed the recommendations with 3.9 Qt.s. It has not been ridden much with the weather being cold and that is when I noticed the little puddle of oil. I think I will drain some of the oil out and see if that helps.

Question though, are the valve cover gaskets separate for each cylinder, or does it cover a pair of cylinders?

I just changed the rear valve cover gasket on my 99 last year. Ended up being less of a job than I origonally thought it would be.

Remove the tank and the 2 chrome covers (2 bolts each) to expose the valve covers. Remover the bolts (?4 each?) from the valve covers. this is where it gets a little different. Try as I might, I couldn't get the valve cover off the engine! It would lift up about an inch before it hit the frame, and that was not enough to clear the valves inside. I tried everything I could think of and that valve cover would not come completely off!:mad:

While messing around with it I knocked the old gasket out of place and decided to stretch it over the cover to get it out of the way. It slipped out so easily I thought why not put the new one back in the same way?

Sure enough, the new one slipped over and around the valve cover with almost no stretching! Laid the new gasket in place, set the valve cover down on it and started putting everything back together.

CAUTION: when installing the gasket it is easy to twist one side or the other. So after you get the gasket laid in place, check it from both sides (the check again) to make sure it is laying flat before setting the cover down on it.

Even taking your time, this shouldn't take more than about an hour and you're done.

I'll report about the front gasket soon, cause now it's leaking but I haven't changed it yet.

In answer to your question, yes there is only one gasket which covers both rear cylinders.

I just changed the rear valve cover gasket on my 99 last year. Ended up being less of a job than I origonally thought it would be.

Remove the tank and the 2 chrome covers (2 bolts each) to expose the valve covers. Remover the bolts (?4 each?) from the valve covers. this is where it gets a little different. Try as I might, I couldn't get the valve cover off the engine! It would lift up about an inch before it hit the frame, and that was not enough to clear the valves inside. I tried everything I could think of and that valve cover would not come completely off!:mad:

While messing around with it I knocked the old gasket out of place and decided to stretch it over the cover to get it out of the way. It slipped out so easily I thought why not put the new one back in the same way?

Sure enough, the new one slipped over and around the valve cover with almost no stretching! Laid the new gasket in place, set the valve cover down on it and started putting everything back together.

CAUTION: when installing the gasket it is easy to twist one side or the other. So after you get the gasket laid in place, check it from both sides (the check again) to make sure it is laying flat before setting the cover down on it.

Even taking your time, this shouldn't take more than about an hour and you're done.

I'll report about the front gasket soon, cause now it's leaking but I haven't changed it yet.

In answer to your question, yes there is only one gasket which covers both rear cylinders.

That is very interesting. So how in the world would someone do a valve clearance check without taking the rear valve cover off? There must be a technique to remove the rear covers. :think:

I noticed the same issue this fall while fixing the bad ignition switch and wiring in a bypass switch, which I placed under the side cover next to the fuel pump. I was hoping some post would show up regarding this problem. My bike is an 02 with only about 25,000 miles on it.

I noticed the same issue this fall while fixing the bad ignition switch and wiring in a bypass switch, which I placed under the side cover next to the fuel pump. I was hoping some post would show up regarding this problem. My bike is an 02 with only about 25,000 miles on it.
The pictures you show have nothing to do with the valve covers. That oil mess is coming from the air plenums above the carburetors, and it is the caused by the engine crankcase ventilation. This is normal on these bikes. I have covered this in several different posts recently.

Goose

BTW - for an '02, yours looks really good if you haven't regularly cleaned that left rear carb area. Either you don't ride the bike much, or that upper air plenum hose is sealing particularly well on the #1 carb!

Thanks V7Goose, I am glad to hear this is not something serious. I will look for you other post. I'm glad I posted the pics. Is there a reason why this is more noticable above the left rear carb and not the rest?

Edited by DavidD
Wanted to add an additional question.

Yes, the mess is worse on #1 because of the lean of the bike on the side stand. The oil comes from the mist out of the crankcase breather - most gets sucked into the carbs, but some condenses out on the plenum walls and works its way to the drain in the rear. The #1 carb is the lowest point, and eventually some of that oil will seep by the plenum hose above the carb and collect dirt all around the top of the carb. Over filling the crank case will make the amount of oil mist much worse, but that mostly shows up in oil drops from the drain hoses.

Goose

• 5 years later...

Guys,

I little overlooked fact with these V4 engines, is overfilling the oil level to the high mark on the sight glass. At higher rpms a heavier concentration of oil vapor makes its way from the crankcase to the air box and then pools and runs down the back left carb as it sits on the side stand. If you keep the oil level midway between the high and low marks on the sight glass, this will be less apt to happen. I usually use no more than 3.5 qts on a refill with a filter.

Then the back left valve cover gasket has always been a similar issue with oil weeping out an old brittle gasket with the bike on the center stand. I always glue a new gasket into the valve cover with YamaBond 4.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks for the feedback Ruffy. I've been sensitive to the overfilling issue so I'm convinced it is the gasket. There is no way the dealer is working on my bike for this type of issue so I'll follow up when I've replaced the gasket.

Ken

My 99 leaks oil there from the gasket. Since yours is an 06 its still under warranty. That being said, there is another issue that could cause it to leak from that corner too. The bike calls for adding 3.9 qts of oil during an oil change. Since the bike leans so far over on the sidestand, excess oil pools up in the chamber under the gas tank and can seep out over time. One solution is to add only 3.5 qts of oil when changing your oil. Mine initially leaked when I had full oil capacity but stopped leaking once I went with 3.5 qts. My current leak is from the cover gasket though.

You can check your cover gasket by degreasing the area and seeing if it leaks again. You can also snug down the valve cover bolts a little as they may have loosened a little.

If its the cover leaking it should be covered under warranty.

This story my also classify under embarrassing moments.

My Victory is kind of funny with oil changes. Problem with Victory an oil change kit is over 70 dollars, and it says it takes 6 qts of oil. Now if you know what you are doing you put in 5 qts, and check and add the last one very carefully. Well I didn't know that, bought a kit, changed my oil, added all 6 qts and filter, cranked it up well if it sat for more than a couple days, it leaked oil from the rear cylinder valve cover. On a forum like this, someone said let some oil out. Well instead of being smart and sucking out oil from the oil fill area, I thought I can just pull the plug let a little out and put the plug back in.

Long story short, there I was laying on the carport floor, oil all down my arms, and all over the floor..... there was 70+ dollars everywhere. to make the story even funnier my daughter text me while I am there with oil everywhere, and all the text said is "why are men so stupid" I thought how in the hell are you in school and you still know what I am doing.....

The Family Dollar store loved me, as I bought every ounce of kitty litter to clean up the mess. I had two hours before the wife got home and also said how stupid are men and why is my parking spot messed up. Yes when the wife got home the mess was cleaned up, and bike back in the storage shed.

Lesson is, watch how much oil you put in.

I think the problem lies is the bike sits at tilt. Where most car engines sit straight up and down. Whey they did not include a center stand like Goldwing I do not know.

Larry