IGNORED

Back to Oil again...

I've reading through the articles again about engine oils and seen a lot of people using the Shell Rotella oil.. I recently found some supply in the local area and yeah, what a much better price than AMSOIL by far! to say the least.. However, so many different types and variations up here.. Attached photo shows two jugs, my inclination is that the left bottle, blue is the one to get?

The is another bottle, T SB on it.. (syn blend?) available..

With 33,500 miles on the bike last summer alone and doing oil changed every 3 to 5,000 miles, I'm looking to keep my bike in shape yet save a few coins.. AMSOIL wasn't the way to go.. ouch.. $20 a litre..

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil now lists on its packaging JASO MA.

The newer fully synthetic T6 oil also lists JASO-MA compliance as per the Rotella website.

JASO-MA is the Japanese standard for motorcycles.

So look for JASO-MA on any Rotella that you buy, and it will be ok.

Either one of them will work, I have used it for years in the dead dinosaur form. Just keep in mind that if your bike has a lot of miles on it and you have only run conventional oil in it that synthetic will sometimes cause gaskets to leak when it is used in an older engine with more than say 40K miles.

Either one of them will work, I have used it for years in the dead dinosaur form. Just keep in mind that if your bike has a lot of miles on it and you have only run conventional oil in it that synthetic will sometimes cause gaskets to leak when it is used in an older engine with more than say 40K miles.

ergh could explain why mine smelled different after going synthetic and 35,000 miles on the bike..

What the bottle look like for the dino styled stuff? (what weight is appropriate)

Exactly my experience. I've been using the synthetic in the Venture, but switched back to the conventional in my Virago (40+K) due to a few drops on the floor. My understanding is that the smaller molecular structure of the synthetic allows it to find more nooks and crannies to seep through.

Of course, now that the Virago is marking it's territory as such, I can affectionately call it my YamaHarley. Of course, all my Harley-riding friends have bikes that don't leak at all, that seems to be a symptom of the really old 60's, 70's bikes.

As for the Rotella, I love it and even found it cheaper once at the parts store (Advance Auto) than it was at WalMart.

I use any of the quality diesel oils. I have used the synthetic but my 2009 venture likes the dino better. It shifts better and I hear less engine noise with the dino oil. At 24000 miles in less than a year, and no problems with the bike at all, I'll stick with this and the 3K mile oil changes.

The more I hear about this Rotella 15W40, the more I am inclined to get the oil for my Venture. Advance Auto in our area recently had a sale of the White jugs for $9.99/Gallon. SAMs is just $10 bucks and some change per gallon...Rotella dino 15W40 will for sure be in my bike next month for an oil change.

However, since it is 15W40 and I do ride in 20 degree weather...will the oil weight matter at all? Perhaps not? What do you guys think?

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil now lists on its packaging JASO MA.

The newer fully synthetic T6 oil also lists JASO-MA compliance as per the Rotella website.

JASO-MA is the Japanese standard for motorcycles.

So look for JASO-MA on any Rotella that you buy, and it will be ok.

Well that was fortuitous.. I had checked this info out this morning before heading out on errands and had stopped by the Crappy Tire store which I had seen the Rotella T bottles.. but instead of the bottle I had listed they had the T6 bottles.. OOooh I remember someone saying T6 and something something JASMO ... JASASMO.. JASO MA !! And lookit.. I'm now home with my new bottle of the good stuff.. at $30 a big jug.. I'll have to wait till spring to find out how well it works though..

Thanks all for the info!

I use any of the quality diesel oils. I have used the synthetic but my 2009 venture likes the dino better. It shifts better and I hear less engine noise with the dino oil. At 24000 miles in less than a year, and no problems with the bike at all, I'll stick with this and the 3K mile oil changes.

Can you 'safely' switch back and forth from Synth and Dyno lubes without munging up the engine? I've got a jug of Synth T6 to try in the spring..

Are you guys getting the litre bottles for 10 bucks or the big jugs for that price?

I think the $10.00 is for the dino oil - the synthetic is a little more than that. Compared to Mobil or Amsoil, I'm happy to pay $30/jug at Canadian Tire for the Rotella T synthetic (it has been on sale there for as little as $22, I think). The cost of the oil pales to insignificance when you consider the cost of gasoline, tires and general maintenance over the time that oil is in the engine - with the synthetic, I'll let it go anywhere up to 10,000 km (6,000 mi). Depends on elapsed time and riding conditions.

I really can't understand why motor oil is so much cheaper south of the border.

The synthetic at Wally World is $19/gal. The Dyno is $11/gal around here. I don't know why oil is so expensive in Canada either. But it all equals out. Think of all the money your saving on those dangerous prescription drugs (according to the US gov.) so you can afford to pay a little more for oil.

Can you 'safely' switch back and forth from Synth and Dyno lubes without munging up the engine? I've got a jug of Synth T6 to try in the spring..

Are you guys getting the litre bottles for 10 bucks or the big jugs for that price?

Not only can you switch back and forth, you can even mix it if you so desire. Not that I would, but it is fully compatible.

Ya know, I had a (young) mechanic tell me about 3 years ago that once you change to synthetic, you have to stay with synthetic or your clutch will start to slip. I don't buy this as I've done it many times over the years while trying to find the best oil for the bike I had at the time. My last bike, a 2006 Nomad ran better, cooler and less noise with synthetic diesel oil. I found this out after changing back and forth a bunch of times, never a problem and 65000 miles on the ol' girl when I traded her for my new 2009 Venture.

Ya know, I had a (young) mechanic tell me about 3 years ago that once you change to synthetic, you have to stay with synthetic or your clutch will start to slip. I don't buy this as I've done it many times over the years while trying to find the best oil for the bike I had at the time. My last bike, a 2006 Nomad ran better, cooler and less noise with synthetic diesel oil. I found this out after changing back and forth a bunch of times, never a problem and 65000 miles on the ol' girl when I traded her for my new 2009 Venture.

I've had mechs tell me that before.. once you go Synth you can't go Dino.. however, one of my bikes had gone back and forth without any noticeable worries on it.. I did ask other knowledgeable mechs and the most I ever got was don't mix the two oils.. either have a full load of synth or a full load of Dino..

I've had mechs tell me that before.. once you go Synth you can't go Dino.. however, one of my bikes had gone back and forth without any noticeable worries on it.. I did ask other knowledgeable mechs and the most I ever got was don't mix the two oils.. either have a full load of synth or a full load of Dino..

Well, they aren't very knowledgeable in my opinion. If it is true that you shouldn't mix synthetic and conventional oils, how do you explain the "Synthetic Blend" oils that almost all oil companies now make? That is exactly what those blends are, a mixture!

Confirmation: https://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/askmobil/mixing_synthetics_conventionals.aspx

Mechanics seem to have more Old Wive's Tales than the Old wives have!!:doh: