IGNORED

Sea Stories....USCG, USN, and USMC

Gamecock

I also have stories, but some should never be repeated. I served with VA-192 aboard the USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31. I made 2 cruises, 62 and 64. It still exists, but as cars, pipe , maybe even my Yamaha. It was terribly disappointing to watch it being scrapped.

Howard, It really is a small world after all! My uncle, Dennis Toms, served on the USS Bon Homme Richard with VA-192. He was lost overboard in the South China Sea on November 21, 1965. He probably was with some people you served with. I do not know when he first reported aboard though.

Love all the stories and LOVE the pic Larry!!! Sure seems like a guy could have a LOT of fun (and maybe get into some trouble too) being surrounded by all those valves and pipes... Thanks to each of you for your service in maintaining our freedoms - you are all appreciated!!!

Oh, I had lots of fun alright. And those valves....due to a young apprentice making an error in judgement one night, I had to close the emergency fuel shutoff valve that fed EVERYTHING. We were in the middle of the Bering Sea, at night, in the wintertime, and slowly watched the lights all dim as the engines and generators starved for fuel. The captain was not very pleased. But he, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. We had her back up and running in 15-20 minutes, so no real harm done other than the movie being shown on the mess deck got interrupted a little.

Would be great to be able to rewind life.

I am a Plankowner of the USS Monterey (CG-61). We commissioned her in 1990. Most of my stories should be left at sea...lol. Anyway...I joined Facebook around 2009, and started using it & other online means to track down the other Plankowners. This was not an easy task. Well, I ended up finding over 250 of the original crew. I created a group on Facebook, where we can all hang out & keep in touch. Several of the guys accused me of working for the CIA, because I was able to track down so many people...lol. I organised our first reunion in 2012, in Jacksonville. We had quite a few in attendance, and had a great time. Most of us hadn't seen each other in 20 years. Next year is the 25th anniversary of the commissioning, and we are having another reunion to celebrate. Looking forward to it. Also, a fellow Venturerider was with us at PRECOM, to train our Radiomen. He is an Honorary Plankowner, and was invited to the reunion as well. Many of you know Marshall Gammon.

Here is a pic of the ship, of me & of the first reunion. The 2 older Gentlemen up front are the original CO & XO. Those who know me will recognize me as the guy in the black shirt with the glasses on my head.

The_guided_missile_cruiser_USS_Monterey_(CG_61)_arrives_in_Porto_Palermo,_Albania,_April_28,_201.jpgSailor.jpg10513474_677761295633159_3982049395497806540_n.jpg

For you Chief's, I am sure you will get this life or death situation......

I got a new SNOS in our shop who had to pull Mess duty. He was assigned to the Chief's Mess. He asked us "Salty" OS2's what he should do with the MCPO's coffee cup because it looked dirty. We told him to wash it and make it shine. Well he did, and it was the 1st time in 4 years that cup had been washed. Supposedly, all the dry, stained, nastiness in side a Chief's coffee cup makes the coffee taste better. I thought the MCPO was gonna throw him overboard. You wanna talk about a PISSED OFFED Master Chief?!?!? I think the XO had to have a talk with him as he went on the 1MC and blessed this SN out. The Capt'n just laughed! Sea stories. HILARIOUS!!

Ben

Also, NEVER, and I mean NEVER, hide a Chief's coffee cup.......unless you wish to spend the entire port call field daying a 12 x 12 office space.....SAW IT

When I reported aboard my first ship (USS Arthur W. Radford DD-968) I was told on my very first watch to wash the Chief's coffee cup, hanging on the coffee cup board. When I noted how dirty it was inside, I was told it was a tradition for the new guy to wash the cup and the division hadn't gotten anyone new in about a year - the Chief would really appreciate a clean cup. I asked why he didn't wash it himself (he, of course wasn't in the space when I asked) and was told it was a Navy ritual...

Anyways, I washed the Chief's cup. He came back 45 minutes later, grabbed his cup and asked the space in general, very politely, who washed his cup, I stepped forward for credit. It wasn't the worst tongue-lashing I've ever got but it came close. My extra duty was to report at the end of EVERY watch (every 4 hours, besides my own 8-12 hours a day of trainee watches) and clean EVERYONE's coffee cup (except the Chief's) for the next week. Vengeance was his, to say the least.

Howard, It really is a small world after all! My uncle, Dennis Toms, served on the USS Bon Homme Richard with VA-192. He was lost overboard in the South China Sea on November 21, 1965. He probably was with some people you served with. I do not know when he first reported aboard though.

Sorry to hear about your uncle. The squadron is still active, but stationed in Japan somewhere. VA-192 was also the squadron that bombed the bridges in the movie called "The Bridges of Toko Ri". 192 was called The World Famous Golden Dragons. Sometimes called the Gaggin Dragons. Their sister squadron VA-195 was also in the movie and bombed the dams on some river. They called the squadron the Dam Busters.

I have worked at my current job with a couple of retire Navy carrier men. some of the stories I don't know if I should believe them or not. But I am sure some of the USAF stories I exchanged with them they think the same thing. LOL My AF carrier is a big part of my life and morals etc. I wouldn't trade it for anything.Thanks guys one and all for your service. I know some of you all served like me long before the current gratification our soldiers, sailors and airmen get now.