IGNORED

Running without a Thermostat in Mexico

Well, finally had a problem I can't solve immediately. The old 87 started running hot- right up to the red zone. Sounds like a sticking thermostat to me. Then it would drop. Then run hot again. And I'm in Southern Mexico, with daytime highs in the 80's. Never run this hot...

So I took the old one out.It is running about 1/3 to 1/2 up the green zone. Nice and cool. I think when I come back to the US and the cold winds howl, I'll have to do the trucker trick with a block in front of the radiator...I don't want to pull this ***** again without a new one on hand!

Thanks for your comments!:97:

Hey Chuck.

I got to say you seem to be having quite an adventure on your trip. Just another day on the road eh?

If you get to the point where you need to get a thermo into the bike NAPA has a replacement that is an excellent match. NAPA #THM 156. Been running one in my '84 for two years and it does great. It's a 180. About $8.00 if I remember right.

I've never been a big supporter of running without a thermo as the engine needs that to keep the temps at the correct running range. As you get back to cooler temps the bike will not even come close to heating up. A radiator cover will help but be hard to maintain a good range.

But some times ya do what ya gotta do to keep rolling. Been there myself.

Good luck on your trip and ride safe.

If your talking about a first gen,

even on a cold day going through town long enough mine would hit the red and the fans would kick on. as long as it goes back down and doesn't pass the line i think your ok

have you checked your antifreeze?

If anyone needs to by-pass the thermostat all they have to do is turn the drainvalve on. No need to pull the possible bad thermo out for the time being. You'll have more trouble during the hot months without a thermostat. Circulation of the coolant will be too fast thru the radiator for cooling to be efficient and effective.

If anyone needs to by-pass the thermostat all they have to do is turn the drainvalve on. No need to pull the possible bad thermo out for the time being. You'll have more trouble during the hot months without a thermostat. Circulation of the coolant will be too fast thru the radiator for cooling to be efficient and effective.

I had wondered about that as my new to me '89 was running very cool (after all, it is a First Gen.) and I couldn't remember what effect an open valve would have on the temp.

Well, I wish I had been smart enough to use the bypass valve in the first place. It was a chore getting it out.

Thanks for the part numbers. I'll pick one up when I cross the border.

Yes, it has brand new antifreeze and is full. It has been working great. At high speed the needle is one third up on the green...and in heavy traffic or idling it gets warm but does not overheat. Since the engine has been running cool my stator is putting out full charge and is no longer dropping when the engine gets hot. My battery is staying charged and so it starts easy. The sticking thermo was playing havoc with these systems.

Thanks Again to all!