IGNORED

so i opened the yamaha tool kit..

Guest seuadr

Guest seuadr

for my 87 venture and i found this:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/seuadr/P1030757.jpg

I gather its a dipstick, but.. for what?

is it for the final drive?

Guest seuadr

thanks! kind of neat, really. the guy that owned it origionally i don't believe had saved the tool kit, but the guy i bought it from (second owner) is obsessive about these sort of things, so he actually bought a NOS kit for it when he rode :) i have no own tool kit i keep in the trunk, but hey, too many tools is rarely a problem.

the dip stick you are looking at is NOT for any venture !! it is for all xs 1100s you cant check the mid gear lube with it as it is lubed from engine oil and isnt needed to check final drive . the oil level should be up to the threads on the fill plug when on the main stand. it is not part of the standerd tool kit for that bike. give it a toss !.:big-grin-emoticon:

the dip stick you are looking at is NOT for any venture !! it is for all xs 1100s

Now that is a crock of bull.

My XS850, 83 Royale, 84 Royale and 89 Royale all came that the dip stick in the tool kit. It is used for checking the final drive.

Of course you can fill the final drive to the top if you want, but then you can do the engine that way too, if you choose. It's your bike.:thumbdown:

dont do it guys !! it will be incorect info . trust an old yamaha mech. :innocent:

You may be an old yamaha mechanic, BUT were you a good yamaha mechanic?

Did you ever read a manual?

Page 2-15 shows using the dip stick to check final drive oil level.

My dip stick measures 1 inch to the middle of the two lines.

dont do it guys !! it will be incorect info . trust an old yamaha mech. :innocent:

Better tell Yamaha the manual is incorrect in another place. Here is page from 83-85 manual actually showing this tool being used to check rear end.

Gary

now that is a crock of bull.

My xs850, 83 royale, 84 royale and 89 royale all came that the dip stick in the tool kit. It is used for checking the final drive.

Of course you can fill the final drive to the top if you want, but then you can do the engine that way too, if you choose. It's your bike.:thumbdown:

that dip stick also is for xs750 and xs 850 sirvice manual says will tell you same as i said . No need to be sour.

ya might be right about 83 - 85 but unless manual is wrong 86-93 is up to bottom of threads ,

That I can believe.

The 83-85 has a fill plug that is parallel to ground, the 86 & up is at an angle, about 10 deg, thus lower.

The manual says fill to brim of hole. This is in 86-93 service manual.

Page shown below.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added picture

I think it is very important to REMEMBER that there are TWO different kinds of First Gens. and when someone makes a comment about the way they do Maintenance on THEIR motorcycles if it doesn't pertain to YOU then why would you attack the person and the way this man makes a living. I too have the MKII First Gen. and according to the manual you fill the Final Drive to the bottom of the threads. As I have explained before, All of the VR and RSV Final Drives are VENTED, which means that if you overfill them the excess lube exits the Final Drive as a mist thru the VENT. I know Steve personally and if you would take a moment to look at his photo gallery you will plainly see that his bike is in fact a work of art and I wish I knew as much about these bikes as he has Forgotten! Having said that, I would be willing to put my small amount of knowledge about the First Gen. Venture Royales up against ANYONE who has posted in THIS THREAD and while I'm at it, I'd be willing to race my 87'VR against your MKI VR, and I don't care HOW MUCH FLUID YOU HAVE IN YOUR FINAL DRIVE!:confused24:

My name is Earl Harrell and disrespect is a two way street.

the dip stick you are looking at is NOT for any venture !! it is for all xs 1100s you cant check the mid gear lube with it as it is lubed from engine oil and isnt needed to check final drive . the oil level should be up to the threads on the fill plug when on the main stand. it is not part of the standerd tool kit for that bike. give it a toss !.:big-grin-emoticon:

I think it is very important to REMEMBER that there are TWO different kinds of First Gens. and when someone makes a comment about the way they do Maintenance on THEIR motorcycles if it doesn't pertain to YOU then why would you attack the person and the way this man makes a living. I too have the MKII First Gen. and according to the manual you fill the Final Drive to the bottom of the threads. As I have explained before, All of the VR and RSV Final Drives are VENTED, which means that if you overfill them the excess lube exits the Final Drive as a mist thru the VENT. I know Steve personally and if you would take a moment to look at his photo gallery you will plainly see that his bike is in fact a work of art and I wish I knew as much about these bikes as he has Forgotten! Having said that, I would be willing to put my small amount of knowledge about the First Gen. Venture Royales up against ANYONE who has posted in THIS THREAD and while I'm at it, I'd be willing to race my 87'VR against your MKI VR, and I don't care HOW MUCH FLUID YOU HAVE IN YOUR FINAL DRIVE!:confused24:

My name is Earl Harrell and disrespect is a two way street.

Earl,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here to much but Steve did say that it "Isn't for any Venture"

Hence my second post !!

Gary

Edited by dingy
second was first post

Well Gary,

I don't remember seeing that you said anything about Steve or what he did for a living so just maybe my post wasn't directed at YOU.

Now you and I have split hairs before, and you are quick to pull up pages from the manual and post graphs and spreadsheets, you know, the engineer type. Perhaps if you had a shop where the actual work needs to be done, you would soon find out that after the 50th Final Drive you too would put that silly dip stick back in that tool kit and "eyeball" the fluid level. With over 300 final drive fluid inspections, and over 40 final drive replacements, I have NEVER seen final drive damage from being overfilled. Perhaps you could make up a chart to show those results!

Earl

Can you measure both ends of this & post it ?

I know several people have inquired about the proper setting for the rear end oil.

Gary

As we move on here,

Seuadr: Could you still measure and post sizes please ?

There may be a few people that have 83 - 85 's that would like to CORRECTLY:stickpoke: fill there final drive.

Gary

Guest seuadr
Just my 2 cents worth---I have an 86 VR that I bought new and that dipstick did not come in my tool kit.

given the conversation i had with the previous owner (he's a friend) he bought that tool kit in or around 93. supposedly NOS for the venture, but it could have been just whatever the dealer had on the shelf :D

for those who wanted measurements, regardless of wether or not its the "right" thing to do:

6.55mm from the flange to the first line,6.8mm to the second line on the "middle" side

2.35mm from the flange to the first line, 2.55mm to the second (outside) line on the "rear" side.

at any rate, sorry for the can o worms, i just was curious whilst cleaning all the electronic clusters from the front fairing of the bike (mouse nest in the fairing, lots of crud but fortunatly no chewed wires)

Guest seuadr
Seuadr: Are you measuring as shown in picture below ?

[ATTACH]40041[/ATTACH]

Thanks

Gary

correct. that would be what i consider the "first line" the second line is from the flange down to the second mark.

given the conversation i had with the previous owner (he's a friend) he bought that tool kit in or around 93. supposedly NOS for the venture, but it could have been just whatever the dealer had on the shelf :D

for those who wanted measurements, regardless of wether or not its the "right" thing to do:

6.55mm from the flange to the first line,6.8mm to the second line on the "middle" side

2.35mm from the flange to the first line, 2.55mm to the second (outside) line on the "rear" side.

at any rate, sorry for the can o worms, i just was curious whilst cleaning all the electronic clusters from the front fairing of the bike (mouse nest in the fairing, lots of crud but fortunatly no chewed wires)

correct. that would be what i consider the "first line" the second line is from the flange down to the second mark.

If my math is still working you are saying long side is rounded off to 7mm and short side is rounded of to 3mm, total length about 10mm. 10 mm is .39".

Are you sure it isn't about 10 centimeters. Which is 3.9" long.

Judging by the picture and the relationship to the keyboard, it looks like centimeters.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/canofworms.jpg

Gary

Guest seuadr
If my math is still working you are saying long side is rounded off to 7mm and short side is rounded of to 3mm, total length about 10mm. 10 mm is .39".

Are you sure it isn't about 10 centimeters. Which is 3.9" long.

Judging by the picture and the relationship to the keyboard, it looks like centimeters.

Gary

doh, you are correct, cm, not mm.