IGNORED

ATV 4x4

spotsy

I'm sure some of you have a ATV and more knowledge than I do. I have always wanted to small tractor with a bucket however I just can't justify it. So after this last snow storm we saw a ATV with a plow on it on a trailer.

Just wondering how they do pushing snow? With all the models does anyone have any neat web sites that explain which models are 4x4 and which modles are sport ATV's? When I do searches some are just 2 wheel drive or they are a sport ATV when I'm looking for an utility ATV and 4 wheel drive.

Any info is appreciated?

Also, anyone have a Wildfire brand?

Thanks.

Spotsy

I had a Polaris 325 4x4 when I lived in South Carolina. My dad had a Yamaha 650 and mine would out pull and push his any day of the week. Plus it was small enough to pick up if you had too. The Polaris is pretty much a snow-mobile with tires, and Polaris makes the best snow-mobiles on earth. I got mine brand new for about $4K. I bet you'd be able to find a 08 or 09 that never sold with a great price on it. Get a manual tranny, pull harder and cheaper.

Never pushed snow, but I buried mine in mud and clay numerous times and NEVER had a problem. The thing would run under water. My dad's Yamaha on the other hand, stays in the shop.

Ben

I've pushed snow with a Yamaha,and Can-Am 4x4's with plows and they both worked well.If you have 4-6" of heavy wet snow,it will take longer,but can be done.

A buddy has the 850 Suzuki with the plow and raves about it...

The main thing you want is the winch.This will raise the plow and save your arm from doing it manuelly.....They all work pretty well,but if I was buying one,I would buy the biggest one I could afford....

You know what they say,"there ain't no substitute for cubic inches".....:big-grin-emoticon:

We got a suzuki king quad, i never pushed snow with it but darn thing is hard to stop-- got 4x4 and also has a low range. definatly get the winch, ive used mine a couple of times when I got stuck crossing a river or when Im out using it as a snowmobile. Suzuki actually made the first quad according to what I read

I've got an 02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 quad 4x4, put a plow on it (and winch) a couple of years ago for the boy to make some money with. Not the biggest bear in the woods, but it does ok. You want to make sure you ask for or get a utility quad and not a sport quad.

Thanks Ben. Good info.

Any thoughts of when you want to wire that trailer?

Spotsy

I talked to Leonard's and they said all they need is 24 hours notice. I am waiting for a day in the 40's before I pull the bike out. This low 30's crap is killing me. I will let you know.

Ben

I'm only responding to this because I find it interesting reading the reader response to what they think is the best ATV! I've had ATV's sense Honda come out with the Big Red, owned several Hondas and ridden several thousand miles in the mountains and back roads with all makes and models and can tell you their all good, some have features that others don't. I also plow LOTS of snow and have used a 4-wheeler for years doing this, I have a Yamaha Grizzley 700 with a winch, power steering and 5' blade, I've chosen the Yamaha because they have, for several years, 2 wheel/4 wheel and a 4 wheel differential lock, Polaris now has come out with the differential lock on their machines. I think all the machines are good if one gets them setup right for plowing snow and use some common sense! I've never had to use chains and we get lots of snow conditions here in the Pacific Northwest! Just plow a little more offen when it's wet/heavy and coming down!

Good luck in deciding what machine to buy, if you have a good local dealer stick with them!

Larry M

• I had a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 that I really loved. I lost in in a fire before i could use it in the snow. I replaced it with a Polaris Sportsman 500HO. I had issues with the Kaw dealer, no reflection on the atv at all. I put a snowsport atv plow on my polaris. They are more expensive than most, but you dont need a winch, so in the end it is about a wash. The plow can be used to push straight or you can angle it either way to windrow snow to the side. I really like this feature. It also has a rubber cutting edge which is really good on a sidewalk etc. It will not scalp grass if you get into the grass, and will work on uneven surfaces, like cobblestones or a cracked sidewalk. I also love that. The one thing I dont always like is it is designed to push forward, and is set up to back up in reverse with no pressure against the blade, so it just floats over the ground. That is perfect for a driveway etc. unless you have to back up long distances, then it is a pain. The only other thing i dont like is, it will leave a thin film of snow on the sidewalk cause of the rubber edge, it is like a squeegie. but those are minor inconveniences. I would rate the plow a 8.5 out of 10. It is a 54 inch wide i think. The Atv will push to beat heck, it is a 4wd or 2wd whichever you prefer just push button. Is the polaris better than the Kaw, I'd say no, but i didnt push snow with kaw either, plus it had another 150 cc. Google the snowsport plow. there are some good videos of it in action. I used my polaris last night pushing a windrow left by the city plow that was bumper deep on my pick up. I have used it over x-mas on 8 inches of fresh stuff. It works really well.Plus they make a receiver mount for a vehicle, so you can back up and push with your pick up or sport utility. Another option to consider. Sorry so long winded, hope this helps

I've had good luck with arctic cat. Got two of 'em, a '99 300 and an '05 500 TRV. Both are 4wd with a winch. I prefer the old 300 because of maneuverability in tight spots. Also, it's got the Suzuki engine with a three range transmission, giving you 15 speeds forward, 3 reverse. An absolutely GREAT ATV.