IGNORED

Middle Gear oil seal

I've been looking for an oil leak and on removing the rear wheel I see oil leaking out of the middle gear dust cover. I suspect the oil seal needs repacing. ( part No 18 on the middle gear parts catalogue).

Anybody got any ideas on doing this ?

Jim O'D

Australia.

When I changed my 83 trans to an 86 trans, the seal of that combo leaked. I was on a very short time schedule going to Vogal so I just switched my 83 outdrive back in it. It was even a quieter combination and have put about 15,000 more miles on it.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

It's not too hard to do, but you'll have to pull the swingarm off and you'll need a couple of bigger sockets and allen wrenches to do it. Also a good time to grease up those driveshaft splines! Plan on spending a day or two to do it if you've got no experience in it. Most of the time will be spent removing and reinstalling the bags and hardware(for MKII's). Just make sure you have a printed service manual and that the shims go back in correctly under output shaft plate it can all be done with the bike on the center stand. Pay close attention to the torque rating for the swingarm bolts, as too loose will give you a "squirrelly" feeling that you'll swear is coming from the front end! Also a good time to install zerk fittings into the swingarm shock links and at least grease them up too.

Gotta quit, I could come up with a HUGE list of mods for you to do while you're in there!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been thinking about it and i realise it started to leak after I changed the oil. At the time I could only get 15W50 oil and I reckon that's the problem So Now I have 20W50 and I'll change the oil again and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have to do the repair.

Dano, I'd be interested in the mods you mentioned.

Thanks again

Jim O'D..

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been thinking about it and i realise it started to leak after I changed the oil. At the time I could only get 15W50 oil and I reckon that's the problem So Now I have 20W50 and I'll change the oil again and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have to do the repair.

Dano, I'd be interested in the mods you mentioned.

Thanks again

Jim O'D..

When I tried 15-40 Rotella in the '83 it started leaking somewhere?? I went back to MC Valvoline 20-50 and it stopped. I not saying Rotella isn't a good oil, but the '83 just couldn't hold it. I have the same problem occassionally.... :) :whistling: