I was going through the treads this morning and ran across the one where Ky,Rider lost his keys at a rest stop. Uturn posted some blank codes. So I decided I better do it right now or I'll be one stuck somewhere. So I took the codes with me and went down and a couple keys made (only cost me $4.00 a key) so all I have to do is hide one on the bike and I'll be set. Thanks guys for jarring my brain. One less thing I have to worry about.

:thumbsup:

This is the part that I have not really paid attention to. I know it is a gamble, but I keep on telling myself to always keep track of my key...in the long run, it can be trouble/misplaced key waiting to happen. I will have to think hard about this and try to come up with a plan to carry a spare (I just hate carrying extra keys). The idea of hiding it 'somewhere' is on top of my list.

I have several spares .Wife always has one on her or I place a lump on top of her head . Mainly it's was that she always pestered me for my key so she could get into the trunk for something constantly . Therefore she has a key on her all the time . I have one hidden on the scoot , and I ain't tellin the location ! Another key on my cage keyring which normally is in my pocket as well a one hidden on the BEERCART .

I also have a key on a retractable reel . One of the cig lighter reels that you can pick up at a convenient store . Took the cig lighter plastic piece off and attached the key to it . While on the road , I attach the reel to my windshield bags via the clip that is on it . Being I have the Zumo (bluetooth for my cell as well) I leave the key on accessory to listen to the tunes or on the phone while at stops . While refueling , I take that key to unlock my gas cap . With the key in the cap and attached to the reel , I have a safety line to the cap so if it falls down . Help retrieving the gas cap while still mounted on the scoot if it were to fall . And if it were to fall , it doesn't slap the ground as hard .

BEER30

Loosing a key hasn't happened to me in the 51 years I've been driving/riding and I would guess that I've not got that much time left so I'm not going to worry about it. Statistically I will most likely loose a key but again, I'm going to chance it -

BUT

if I were to hide a key on the Venture, I think the best place to hide would be zip tied to the frame under the seat ?

Loosing a key hasn't happened to me in the 51 years I've been driving/riding and I would guess that I've not got that much time left so I'm not going to worry about it. Statistically I will most likely loose a key but again, I'm going to chance it -

BUT

if I were to hide a key on the Venture, I think the best place to hide would be zip tied to the frame under the seat ?

That's good to know.. what colour is your bike? (evil grin)

I have mine machine screwed to the frame 'somewhere' under a blob of heavy grease to keep it corrosion free.. I found it yesterday, still in grease and shiny clean.. But I do like the BOOT idea..

whats this about codes to get new keys made?

The codes I was talking about is the ones UTurn listed sometime back. I wrote them down and took them with me. The key blank codes are as follows.

ILCO-YM63,

Taylor-x248

Curtis yn63

Silca yh35r

Hope this helps? It did me and the locksmith. When I showed this to him he said this helps and pulled the blanks off the wall.

sweet.. many thanks M8..

The codes I was talking about is the ones UTurn listed sometime back. I wrote them down and took them with me. The key blank codes are as follows.

ILCO-YM63,

Taylor-x248

Curtis yn63

Silca yh35r

Hope this helps? It did me and the locksmith. When I showed this to him he said this helps and pulled the blanks off the wall.

After reading this thread, I decided to get a couple extra keys made. Took the codes previously listed to a couple hardware stores and a locksmith--no keys. Where are you guys getting your keys made? Maybe I need to have somone send me a couple blanks and have them cut here. Thanks for you replies in advance.

After reading this thread, I decided to get a couple extra keys made. Took the codes previously listed to a couple hardware stores and a locksmith--no keys. Where are you guys getting your keys made? Maybe I need to have somone send me a couple blanks and have them cut here. Thanks for you replies in advance.

I ordered my key blanks here and went to a local Tru-value store and had them cut

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Randy, any idea what he charges ?? The last key I had made off the code cost me $25... :mo money:

I think its in the thread. $15 post paid for 2 keys. They are talking about 2nd Gen keys. Not sure about 1st Gens. Are they the same?

I'd send Ken an email to confirm.

I think its in the thread. $15 post paid for 2 keys. They are talking about 2nd Gen keys. Not sure about 1st Gens. Are they the same?

I'd send Ken an email to confirm.

For $15 bucks it's a deal..!! For all those who don't know their code it's on the back side of the ignition switch for 1stGens. Not sure about a 2ndGen?? The switch is a PITA to remove but it can be done. Trying to get it with a mirror is impossible due to dirt etc. and the number is very small... plus all the wires. But if you don't have a clue, it's a lot cheaper than replacing all the locks... It's what I had to do on the '90. The blank code is also there. There are about 6 different blank codes. A-F If I remember correctly. I used to have a pic of a key and the backside of a spare switch, but it was lost in the great HD crash a few months ago.

I couldn't find any one with the correct blank keys in my area so ordered them from member KJ4V. He made them the same day and shipped. I got them in four days across country. Keys worked great. $15.00 for two keys, not bad.

I got my keys from him as well. Emailed him the keycode and they were sent out quickly despite him being sick. :thumbsup:

Dave