IGNORED

I've stepped in it now...

Midrsv

I just got myself appointed to the county volunteer fire board by the County Judge Executive. Hopefully I can help improve fire service and obtain the best value for our tax dollars. I may come here from time to time seeking advice from the member fire fighters. About all I know about fire fighting is to call 911. Wish me luck!

Dennis

Congrats and Good Luck in your endeavors! Make sure your info is spot on and correct before ya deal with the political hacks. It's always nice to stick THEIR mis-information into an orifice and break it off with great vigor and gusto!!:rotfl:

And make it your TOP PRIORITY to get good pay raises:mo money: for any of those men and women who ride those Fire Engines and go in harms way to save lives and property....24/7.....365 DAYS .

Boomer.....who thinks all Fire Trucks should have Cattle Catchers on the front bumpers to plow a road through the Goobers who don't know what flashing lights and sirens mean.:banana:

11 years in the fire service here. If I can help, let me know.

Hopefully, they will send you to fire academy, for your own safety.

Don't make the mistake many of us did in our younger years....wear an airpack, even if you can see thru the smoke.

EDIT: I read it again, and see that you are on the board, not a firefighter. Remember, good equipment saves lives. Fight for proper equipment, and hopefully they have a good grant writer. We got a lot of good stuff from Homeland Security grants. Fight for proper training too. Some Departments only use OJT training, which is ok, but not really sufficient.

Thanks for the suggestions. This fire department is a volunteer outfit that has a few part time paid positions. They do have a $100k plus training center and from what I understand they are very well trained with very good equipment. They just spent a pile of money on a new 85' ladder truck. I won't be a firefighter, too old and fat for that job. But I'll damn sure do my best to see that they are safe and cheer them on every chance I get.

Dennis

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the suggestions. This fire department is a volunteer outfit that has a few part time paid positions. They do have a $100k plus training center and from what I understand they are very well trained with very good equipment. They just spent a pile of money on a new 85' ladder truck. I won't be a firefighter, too old and fat for that job. But I'll damn sure do my best to see that they are safe and cheer them on every chance I get.

Dennis

I sure hope you do cheer them on. I've been involved with the volunteer fire service for over 15 years and am currently the Chief. I can tell you from experience that it means a lot to the firefighters to get some gratitude from their board members and the members of the communities they serve for what they do. Most people forget about us until we're needed. We can only hope they remember us when we're not.

Take good care of them. They deserve it. It takes a special person to go out of his or her way and put their health/life on the line to help others. Good luck.

Dennis

Around here there is not many places better to be involved in and accedent or have to experiance any emergency than in the districts that have a volunteer brigade. They are #1 in my books! My best buddy has 20 years on his local fire dept., just promoted to lieutenant and has done it all as a volunteer. Talk about devotion!

Give them what ever they ask for.... you will never regret it.

http://colwood.iwebez.com/images/%7BD5ADCF28-AA6C-401B-B58F-AD43E084BB0D%7D2010%20Web%20banner%20-%20home%20page.jpg

I dont get on as much now a days but feel free to {PM me anytime. I am currently a Lt in the Redbird hook and ladder co of the Riverhead FD www.riverheadfd.org

I have 15 years of experience so I can answer most questions. My first advice is to get familiar with the NFPA regulations as OSHA rules. Honestly they make us do alot of unnessasary stuff but those are the laws. In addition to that the insurance companies have a huge affect too. Where equiptment is and what it is. All that affects the insurance rates of those you protect. Besides that firefighters always want lots of stuff they dont need. Like kids with toys. Dont just give but weigh the need. Maybe get into an organization that places you with other Commisioners of other districts and share info.

Scott Robertson