IGNORED

need help - rstd passing lamp install

naturbar

I've read thru the posts and still need some direction. i have an 07 rstd i purchased the Yamaha passing lamps and bar. I've got everything apart and have difficulty trying to push the stock turn lamp onto the special bolt supplied with the kit. here are the measurements - the o.d. of the special bolt supplied in kit (which the stock pass lamp is supposed to slide over) is .792 and the i.d. of the pass lamp is .772.....that is 20 thousands and i can tell you it ain't gonna fit without some grinding. i cannot believe yamaha expects the end users to have to grind or do machine work to make this fitment. anybody out there got any ideas?

thanks, buz

Something doesn't sound right. It's been several years since I installed mine but I never had to grind anything. Shouldn't be necessary. Are you SURE they sent you the correct kit?

don i read a post here (see below) and used the same part # for my bike. you will see his bike is an 09 and mine an 07, i made the assumption they were the same. where is the best source to get correct part numbers for our bikes?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38307&highlight=passing+lamps+part

Yes, I agree with you. They should be the same for your bike as in that post. Mine is an RSV and they are a bit different I think. Maybe one of our RSTD owners will chime in here and offer some more assistance. I'm like you though, I can't imagine that you would have to grind on anything.

I think the last one I did I had to remove the rubber from the light.:doh:

SylWoody,

the measurement i provided was with the rubber removed. maybe i got the wrong part - the part i'm having trouble with is STR-1D635-40-00. some research showed this # fit 05-06 models. other research showed that STR-4NK35-40-01 to be the correct part # for my year/model.

anyone out there w/ an 07 RSTD that has installed passing lamps....if so what part#'s did you order and use???...HELP!!!!!!

It sounds like you have the right part number. The fit is very tight between the light stem and the bolt. I had to wedge open the bolt slightly by taking a small chisel and tapping it into the slot on the bolt. This made it a lot easier to get the stem started into the hole. I did NOT have to grind anything.

It has been a few years since I installed my lights, I remember distinctly how much of a PIA it was. A lot of patience and some good luck will go a long way.

Dave

It sounds like you have the right part number. The fit is very tight between the light stem and the bolt. I had to wedge open the bolt slightly by taking a small chisel and tapping it into the slot on the bolt. This made it a lot easier to get the stem started into the hole. I did NOT have to grind anything.

It has been a few years since I installed my lights, I remember distinctly how much of a PIA it was. A lot of patience and some good luck will go a long way.

Dave

dave,

i had previously tapped a screwdriver into slot on the oem flasher lamp and tried to open it enough to fit over the stem but just no luck. i'm almost afraid to wedge it open too much for fear of destroying my flasher lamp. i'm hoping someone can provide the part # they used to do the job on an 07, thanks for your input !!

buz

Glad to hear you have things worked out.

Also glad to hear I'm good for something around here, besides stirring the pot.:stirthepot:

Let me know if I can ever be of assistance, I've pretty much torn my bike apart and put it back together except for yanking the motor and tranny out. I think I can still remember most of it.

Dave