IGNORED

Bike FAQs, 2nd Gen

V7Goose

This is simply the beginning of a new set of Frequently Asked Questions I am going to create for us, focused specifically on the bikes, not the use of this board. Many of us get tired of seeing the same old things asked repeatedly, especially when they have been coved in great detail so often in the past. Hopefully, this will allow those new owners to find the basic ansers and links much faster! I am starting with the 2nd Gen models since that is the bike I own and know intimately, and I am starting it here simply to solicit ideas on what should be included.

I am going to build this in stages, as I feel like typing and looking things up. I will begin with the next post by listing the FAQs alone without the answers, just to bet the list going, but I will keep editing that post and adding the answers to the questions until it is ready for movement to a more appropriate place. Please feel free to post any and all thoughts to this thread that will help in refining the ultimate document. I am sure that some of the items will be controversial, such as defeating the rudimentary pollution controls on these bikes, but I will endeavor to handle all items in a balanced and fair way (even the evil car tire debate!). But I also implore any of you to keep me on the straight and narrow if you feel I have not done a subject justice.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Follow these links to the FAQs with answers that I have finished so far:

General Questions - [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=417915#post417915]2nd Gen FAQs - General Questions - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Body, Frame, Windshield, luggage-

Handling, Suspenstion, Tires, Controls, etc. - [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43681]2nd Gen FAQ - Handling, Suspension, Tires, Controls, etc. - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Radio, CB, MP3 and other External Audio - [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43682]2nd Gen FAQ - Radio, CB, MP3 and other External Audio - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Engine, Drive Train, Intake, Exhaust -

The questions below have not yet been incorporated into the FAQs above:

List beginning as a brain dump, in no particular order. Answers and other content to be added in due course:

1. Dang, this bike is HOT in the summer - what can I do about it?
  2. I can't see over my windshield (or don't like it for various reasons), what are my options?
  3. What is the best oil and how often should it be changed?
  4. What oil filter should I buy?
  5. How often should I change the spark plugs? What kind of plugs are best?
  6. What coolant should I buy, and how do I change it?
  7. I can't find GL-4 gear lube - can I use GL-5? What is the difference?
  8. My brake reservoir cover says to use DOT4 fluid, but I have an old can of DOT3 sitting around - can I use that?
  9. Can I use DOT5 brake fluid - I hear it does not damage paint or absorb water like DOT4?
  10. My inside rear brake pad wears out much faster than the outside pad - what is wrong?
  11. How long should brake pads last?
  12. My front brakes make a terrible grinding noise - what is wrong?
  13. What battery should I buy and how should it be prepared?
  14. What is the charging capacity?
  15. How much additional electrical load can I add? Can I use electric clothing?
  16. What are carb heaters, and why should I care?
  17. Where do I find a list of alternative parts?
  18. Where to I find matching paint?
  19. Why does my bike "backfire" (afterfire) or pop and bang on deceleration?
  20. Is carburetor synchronization really important? How often should it be done? How do I tell if my bike needs it?
  21. Why does my bike make a clicking or crunching sound when I roll it, especially in reverse?
  22. How do adjust the steering head bearings,and how do I tell if they need it?
  23. How often do I REALLY need to have my valves checked, and what is a reasonable cost for this service?
  24. Do these bike run well at high altitudes, or should I have something done with the carbs before a trip?
  25. I wish this bike had Fuel injection! Do I need to do anything to tune or maintain my carburetors?
  26. Do those funny looking plastic wind deflectors on the forks actually do anything? Why do they keep breaking off every 8,000 miles or so?
  27. What headsets should I buy?
  28. Will a headset and cord from any other bike work with the Venture?
  29. How do I get those #$%! stickers off the gas tank?
  30. What are the drive splines or drive fingers I keep hearing about needing grease, and why did my dealer tell me not to believe everything I read when I asked him? How often do they need grease?
  31. What is the whine or chirp I hear about? Can it be fixed? Is it covered under warranty?
  32. My new (or new-to-me) Royal Star has a horrible scream or whine at a particular engine speed - what is that and what can I do about it?
  33. What tach can I use?
  34. Are gauges available for these bikes?
  35. Can I use an air compressor with the power jack in the fairing?
  36. Thee owners manual says there is a second auxiliary power outlet under the seat, but I cannot find it.
  37. Where do I find the fuses for the power outlets?
  38. I think my clutch is slipping - how do I tell for sure? How long should my clutch last? Is there an easy fix when it starts slipping, or do I need to replace all the plates?
  39. My trunk lid doesn't seem to open very far - is there an easy fix?
  40. The buttons on the saddlebag and trunk locks seem very hard to push; how do I fix this?
  41. My saddlebag lid is stuck closed, no matter how hard I push the button - how do I get it open?

(just saving the list now to keep it going)

Edited by V7Goose

How do I install Zumo?

Installing an AMP

How to install highway pegs

Installing a luggage rack and saddle bag rails

Replacing the cassette deck

Installing a garage door opener

Which bolts do I use the blue loctite on

What headsets do I get

What are the best helmets for headsets.

These are just a few that come to mind.

Wally

i am looking forward to this thread :clap2:and i don't even own a 2 gen , i have been asked some of these same ? , this thread will keep new 2nd riders that ask me from getting the look ! you know the dumb look :rotf:

Thanks Goose ! :thumbsup:

I think this is a great idea but some of the things being mentioned are already well documented in the tech library.
Agreed - and my only purpose of including them here is to reference those more detailed articles. Hopefully this will allow them to find the information on their own instead of just asking the same old tired question and waiting for us to tell them it is in the tech library!

Goose

How can I keep up with the 1st Gens????

You knew it had to be in there... but of course there is no answer to this one!!!:confused24::rasberry:

Had to do it Goose but think this is a good idea in a way. Like don said we already have a lot in library. This could be something to refer you to right thread in library? Sort of a guide to trouble shooting.

I didn't read all the posts on this but.... an FAQ is an awesome idea. What would also be awesome is that if each FAQ item can be hyperlinked to wherever the answer(s) are...that way a person could just click on the item and be taken directly to the pertinent info. (did someone already mention this?)

I didn't read all the posts on this but.... an FAQ is an awesome idea. What would also be awesome is that if each FAQ item can be hyperlinked to wherever the answer(s) are...that way a person could just click on the item and be taken directly to the pertinent info. (did someone already mention this?)

Can that be done?? Would be awesome!!

Yes, all items that are already well documented elsewhere will have just a short discussion in the FAQ and a link to the main content. This will work perfectly for any article in the tech library. However, I am not sure yet how often to use links to other threads with a long technical discussion of certain subjects - if they are not actually placed in the tech library, we run the risk of developing broken links over time as the board is maintained. In some cases I'll probably include a specific search suggestion instead of an actual link to specific threads. I guess we'll work out some of those ideas as we go.

Goose

Where is the main 30A fuse?

What kinds of Air Horns work well with the bike & installation of

What should I use to put air in the suspension?

How should I wire up my Passing/Driving Lamps (or other power accessories)? (ie. using a relay)

What are good products to clean the windshield?

Venting the windshield?

How can I/what can I use to lift my motorcycle off the ground?

Just bumping this thread to keep some attention on it. I have been editing the main post (#2) to build the FAQ list and start the answers. This is a lot of typing, so I only do a few questions at each sitting. I appreciate the suggestions for items that should be included; I will be incorporating them in due time. Please take a look at what I have so far and let me know if you think the answers hit the mark.

Goose

As long as the FAQ stay on the same page and the short answers stay on the same page and the place where the hyperlinks point stay don't change, keeping it up should not be a big deal. it is always the initial setup that is time consuming.

searching the site, finding wanted existing text, then copying & pasting should save a lot of typing.

been there done that.

I haven't read all of it, but I did read this:

Q: How far can I go on Reserve?

A: The manual says the reserve is 1 gallon, but the majority of owners have found their actual reserve is 1.5 gallons (usually the carbs will begin starving and require you to switch the petcock about 5 miles before the low fuel light will come on). Under most conditions, you should always get a minimum of 40 miles on reserve, and with reduced speeds and careful riding, 60 miles is often possible.

Is this a difference between RSTDs and RSVs? I don't have a low fuel light (that I know of), but my odometer will count up when it says I am on low fuel. I can go about 14 miles indicated before I need to be on reserve. Actual reserve mileage is at least 35 miles indicated, or about 50 miles on the count-up. I haven't actually run completely out of gas.

If this is a difference between RSTDs and RSVs, a word of caution might be in order. I like the idea though. Just curious, is there a maximum article length? :)

Dave

I haven't read all of it, but I did read this:

Is this a difference between RSTDs and RSVs? I don't have a low fuel light (that I know of), but my odometer will count up when it says I am on low fuel. I can go about 14 miles indicated before I need to be on reserve. Actual reserve mileage is at least 35 miles indicated, or about 50 miles on the count-up. I haven't actually run completely out of gas.

If this is a difference between RSTDs and RSVs, a word of caution might be in order. I like the idea though. Just curious, is there a maximum article length? :)

Dave

Ditto for my RSTD. The odometer switches to the "F" trip meter which starts flashing, which is what Dave is calling the count up.

Thanks in advance for doing this Goose.

where do I buy (insert name) chrome (or other...) accessory?

where do I buy tires, brake pads, oil / air, filters etc. etc?

what are my options for auxiliary lighting?

how / where to install / buy CD player? and why would you want too?

my seat is too hard / soft, high / low, wide / narrow... what is the best seat mod or aftermarket seat to use?

what model / colour is the fastest?????? (had to through that one in)

Thanx for the input guys!

On the question of reserve - the amount may indeed be different between the Venture and the RSTD. I know the tank volume is different, but I personally have no experience with he RSTD to state how much gas is left when the fuel meter switches, so I will need input from owners who think they have pushed it enough to get an accurate idea.

Keep the ideas coming, but don't be surprised if I don't incorporate everything in the final FAQ! After all, a FAQ list is specifically for FREQUENTLY Asked Questions, not All Possible Questions!! My initial list was simply a search of my own memory about the most often seen questions over the past five years, but I know I have missed a bunch. Just based on the current length, I think I will start breaking the different sections into separate posts.

Goose

On the question of reserve - the amount may indeed be different between the Venture and the RSTD. I know the tank volume is different, but I personally have no experience with he RSTD to state how much gas is left when the fuel meter switches, so I will need input from owners who think they have pushed it enough to get an accurate idea.
Is the "count up" mechanism the same though?

If no one else steps up to give an idea of how much it can run on reserve, I will. I have fuel cans I can take with me so that I am not stranded. Plus, it is still riding weather. :)

My testing regime could be:

* Turn off reserve (I run with it on reserve full time) and drive until I run out. Note how many miles on the count-up/flashing F.

* Turn on reserve and ride until dead. I'll try sloshing to see if that adds anything. Ride until there is nothing left. Note mileage on count-up/flashing F. See if there is an idiot light.

Will that suffice? Will I need to do anything heroic to restart it, besides adding fuel?

Dave

Dave, I think the numbers you gave for reserve mileage are pretty close.

A FAQ on the differences between the RSTD and the RSV would be good. The question comes up frequently.

1. fairing with CB, tape deck, speakers, intercom, and CD on 09 and later in side bag.

2. Top box with enhanced passenger seat w/ armrests and rear stereo speakers and antennas.

3. Pillow driver seat on RSV with different seat mounting bolts

4. Cruise control on/off on dash of RSV vs rt handlebar for RSTD

5. Gas low light on RSV, only flashing F and mileage count on ODO LCD for RSTD

6. 5.3 gallon fuel tank on RSTD vs 6 gallon tank on RSV

7. RSTD has removable windshield, Rear fender painted with removable rear seat and sissy bar.

8. handlebars are different

V&Goose,

Many thanks for starting this post/thread. As a new owner of an '06 RSMV, I have found many answers in the Tech archives. However, I'm always looking to learn more. I have already performed many service/maint. tasks on the bike.

Many Thanks to all who contribute and make it easier for the rest of us.

Now that's just plain lazy!!

I thinkg the people wanting these questions answered should be "Supporting Members" Only!