IGNORED

Greatfully "in the wind"

Renne

As I scan the "watering hole", I keep seeing threads for things such as large and improved polished fork "wind" deflectors and keeping the "wind" off your knees deflectors and windshield squabbles on height to stop the "wind" and more! I just wonder, Whatever happened to the idea that on a motorcycle the whole experience is "to be in the wind" to smell the fresh air when you pass a pond or lake, to smell the fresh tilled fields and burning autumn leaves. Fresh cut hay and fields of clover are ever so pleasant. There's something to be said for the breeze on your skin,,,in your face.... It seems a shame to hide behind full face helmets a windshield, knee guards and fork deflectors all trussed up in designer "wind and water repellent" riding suits!,,,crap,,,if I wanted to be so isolated from the "wind" I guess I'd just as well cage it, but then,,,,I'd miss that unmistakable "sound" ! OH YEA I LOVE "THAT SOUND",,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,"THE WIND" ,,,,, (It sings if you listen)!

Renne:backinmyday:

Maybe I'm getting old but I love having a windshield. ( and now a fairing too)I still get the smells, and the odd bug, plenty of breeze but no ear aches. I wear a shorty helmet so I can hear all around me and still keep my already failing hearing. (more the result of too many rock concerts than riding for years with out a windshield). I also love to go for long rides and not feel worn out when the ride is over from fighting the wind, bugs, road crap and the elements. Ok I am getting old............. but it does have it's advantages!

:bluesbrother:

Paul

I'm largely with you. My biggest beef with my 1st gen is how much breeze it blocks. I really hate that for most riding.

On the other hand when I'm moving down the superslab at 70 and it's cold I'm really glad it's there.

Clearly I don't own enough motorcycles.

I'm largely with you. My biggest beef with my 1st gen is how much breeze it blocks. I really hate that for most riding.

On the other hand when I'm moving down the superslab at 70 and it's cold I'm really glad it's there.

Clearly I don't own enough motorcycles.

When I get that urge I get out Lil'Red my 1982 750 Maxium. A great little ride.

Arthritis dictates the amount of wind the body will tolerate. Hmmm, maybe we can make a bracket that mounts to the front fork which will support a 3 cooling fans, one on the top of the windshield and the other two located below the front fairing deflectors. Just think of all the wind you could generate then!! :smile5:

Well said, Rennee.

I rode in the sixties with Triumphs and no wind protection...and I loved it. I rode in the seventies with some wind protection...and I loved it. I rode in the eighties with more wind protection and comfortable seats, forward controls, and I loved it. The nineties got much better and...I really loved it. And now at 63+ years the 2000's gave me the full fairing, lower fairings, fork fairing, heated this and that, multiple windshield choices, more horsepower than anyone needs on two wheels, too many lights to count..but I tell you I still love it. Only because this old body could not do what I did in the sixties.

:farmer:

AND OH Ya can you cut that draft going up my skirt? :

Bubber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I thought that was your "KILT"!(?) now I dunno iff'in I wanna "Hang out w/ you" !!:no-no-no:

Renne

Well actually I was thinking that was what you would have be singing going up and down that goat path you got over there.:moon::moon::moon: I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag?

Well said, Rennee.

I rode in the sixties with Triumphs and no wind protection...and I loved it. I rode in the seventies with some wind protection...and I loved it. I rode in the eighties with more wind protection and comfortable seats, forward controls, and I loved it. The nineties got much better and...I really loved it. And now at 63+ years the 2000's gave me the full fairing, lower fairings, fork fairing, heated this and that, multiple windshield choices, more horsepower than anyone needs on two wheels, too many lights to count..but I tell you I still love it. Only because this old body could not do what I did in the sixties.

:farmer:

YEP, to all the above :thumbsup2: I don't get the cold weather as bad as you lot over there, but I have osteoarthritis and "Arthur Ritis" is not my friend when it comes to riding--nor is age!!:bang head::crying::crying:

If I didn't want comfort, I would not have bought a touring bike. There are plenty of hard tail, no windhshield etc. bikes out there, but I prefer the comfort of a touring bike. I guess the only person I really want to please in my choice of bikes is me. To each his own.

• 6 years later...