IGNORED

Deep Frying a Turkey

BuddyRich

I know most everybody knows this but saw this the other night and reminded me of tomorrow. I'll be deep frying ours but it will be in the driveway.

If you should catch the oil on fire DON'T use water..... :doh:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-water-and-oil.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-fanning-the-grease-fire-flames.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-small-scale-disaster.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/time-warp-grease-fire-close-up.html

Edited by BuddyRich

There's a fellow in a neighboring town that burned down an apartment complex this morning trying to deep fry a turkey. Seems he filled his pot with oil, got it hot, and then put the turkey in. For some reason he didn't think adding the turkey would cause the pot to overflow.:bang head:

Glenn

I like the ones that don't thaw it completely.

I have fried 15 so far this Thanksgiving week, I had one guy call and ask me if I would fry one for him, when I asked if he had the turkey he said he would run to town and pick on up and bring it right over for me to fry. I am thinking I told him to just buy a couple of cans of Spam and have that.

Frying turkeys ain't hard, but it is really nice if you know how and leave the drinking to the drinkers.

I stopped deep frying the other year when I bought the Charbroil infrared cooker it is awsome it cooks in about the same time but without oil and you get the drippings for the gravy. Everyone who has tried the turkey from the cooker all say it is just as good as deep frying but better for you I will not deep fry again only Bloomin Onions and cook New England clam boils on the fryer.

Tom

I have been deep frying turkeys most of my life. The Cajuns(my people) in SW Louisiana have been doing it long before Martha Stewart was born.

Caution,common sense,and correct procedure goes a long way for something like this.....and there are things I learned from my Dad and Grandfather which you won't see as written Instructions that come with any turkey fryer.

Boomer.....who has just finished frying up three 15pounders for today.:banana:

We went to our sons house for Thankgiving dinner. We thought we were going to have a fried Turkey, but when we got there they were cooking the turkey under a bucket!! (I was suprised at how good it cooked and tasted , very moist)I didn't get pictures but I found a site that had some so you can see what I'm talking about

I have been deep frying turkeys most of my life. ...and there are things I learned from my Dad and Grandfather which you won't see as written Instructions that come with any turkey fryer.

awrite .... you opened the door ... time to let the cat out (share the info) ...

SilvrT ... who's gonna bug ya until ya give it up! :rotf:

We went to our sons house for Thankgiving dinner. We thought we were going to have a fried Turkey, but when we got there they were cooking the turkey under a bucket!! (I was suprised at how good it cooked and tasted , very moist)I didn't get pictures but I found a site that had some so you can see what I'm talking about

Guess a plastic bucket won't work huh ? :rotf:

I stopped deep frying the other year when I bought the Charbroil infrared cooker it is awsome it cooks in about the same time but without oil and you get the drippings for the gravy. Everyone who has tried the turkey from the cooker all say it is just as good as deep frying but better for you I will not deep fry again only Bloomin Onions and cook New England clam boils on the fryer.

Tom

That looks like a good idea,, may have to get one.

We were planning a "turducking" this year but my lame neighbor didn't get a duck. He is still out pheasant huntin.... we thought about the turkey, pheasant & chicken but couldn't tell the realtive what it was called so we smoke just the turkey!! We have fried and smoked numerous turkeys. Both are excelent but smoken is far easier.

OK folks...those of you who fry turkeys, where do you get your oil? I have a turkey fryer and planned to fry it this year. The last time I fried one was several years ago. I put the turnkey in the fryer and filled it with water and determined that I would need about 7 gallons of oil. A 3 gallon jug of peanut oil was $28.00 at Walmar. I would have needed 2 of those plus another gallon so probably at least $70.00 worth of oil that would be used one time and then thrown away. Heck with that. I ended up smoking it and it turned out really good.

So.....how much do YOU spend on oil?

$27. I fryed a 14lb one. It took a little less than 3 gallons and about 45 minutes. Maybe you got too big a turkey fryer. I'll reuse the oil over the next couple of months also.

This one was 15 lbs. I think you are right. Maybe my fryer is just bigger than most.

ya'll are talkin about deep-fryin a turkey (or maybe even a Chicken) ... jus' wondering how many have had Drunken Chicken or Turkey ???

Heard of it but have never tried it.

OK folks...those of you who fry turkeys, where do you get your oil? I have a turkey fryer and planned to fry it this year. The last time I fried one was several years ago. I put the turnkey in the fryer and filled it with water and determined that I would need about 7 gallons of oil. A 3 gallon jug of peanut oil was $28.00 at Walmar. I would have needed 2 of those plus another gallon so probably at least $70.00 worth of oil that would be used one time and then thrown away. Heck with that. I ended up smoking it and it turned out really good.

So.....how much do YOU spend on oil?

Sams Club has a 35lb jug thats around $30 I have a 34 QRT cooker and the one jug is enough

also when the oil is cool I run it through a filter then freeze it I was told this will keep it from turning rancid and let you reuse it.:2cents: