IGNORED

Looking for cheaper passing lamps

aspen60

The wife asked me to give her a list of what I want Santa to bring me for x-mas, I would really like a set of passing lights for the scoot of my dreams that is sitting in the garage, I just can't for the life of me tell her the bracket and the lamps together cost 250 dollars. (ya know --three kids in college at the same time) Any one seen the lights and mounts cheaper any where? Ive looked on ebay and a couple stealer websites, all about the same price.

Unfortunately for the RSV fleabay is going to be your only real recourse. I dont know of any aftermarket company that makes one for it that doesn't really cost as much as the factory Yamaha one

:confused24:

Just for clarification I am talking about the mounting bracke for the lights. Some have installed lights differently on the front and lower forks. Contact Carbon One as he put a set of bullet lights down on his crashbars.

Edited by Squidley

[humor]

How about a couple of flashlights held on with duct tape?

Kinda like what this gentleman did, but with two lights instead of one....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3382037233_6ecffc06ec.jpg

[/humor]

The above would definitely qualify as cheep..... but I don't know how inexpensive it would be.

I bought a set of Platinum Burners (round chrome) from Walmart for $15. Someone made a post with a picture of them mounted to the front fork wind deflectors and they really looked good.

I have not installed mine yet as I'm not electrically inclined, so I've been procrastinating. They do look good.

I bought a set of Platinum Burners (round chrome) from Walmart for $15. Someone made a post with a picture of them mounted to the front fork wind deflectors and they really looked good.

I have not installed mine yet as I'm not electrically inclined, so I've been procrastinating. They do look good.

What wattage are the lights you purchased and the item # please? Can we use two 50 watt lights and not overpower the charging system?

Thanks

What wattage are the lights you purchased and the item # please? Can we use two 50 watt lights and not overpower the charging system?

Thanks

They are made by Optroincs and are model number QH-7CC Click HERE to go to the manufacturer web site.

IF you dont like the bulbs that come in them, they use MR16 size bulbs that are available in MANY wattage and beam pattern options. Look in the low voltage lighting section of your hardware store, or for more options go to a lighting dealer. MR16 bulbs should cost under $10 each...down to $2 each.... but be SURE you get a bulb with a glass front as not all MR16 bulbs have a glass front.....

These lamps from Optroincs are probably both the cheapest and least expensive of all the accessory lighting products on the market.

Edited by KiteSquid

... I just can't for the life of me tell her the bracket and the lamps together cost 250 dollars. (ya know --three kids in college at the same time)

I fully understand. Don't know if it helps but I believe adding the passing lamps is a safety issue. I helps you be seen, it makes you more visible. Prior to installing mine cars would start to pull out then stop like having a second look at me coming. Now, they stay put and don't move till I pass. For me it was a noticeable difference. My wife (nor I) mind the extra dollars if it improves safety. Hummm... I think I've just hit an idea, safety chrome... HEY Honey I need some more safety chrome for my bike so I can be seen better from the side while riding...

just found out yesterday that my, sweet little wife :2132:ordered some passing lights, mounting bracket and trunk rack for my 06 RSV. of course it is for x-mas.:smile5:

and today I will be paying off my bike, mine she's all mine.:mo money:

And thank goodness you get to say the same thing "mine all mine" about your lovely, thoughtful, gift giving wife! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Dont feel bad Aspen, my stealership could not find, nor seem to keep in his shop once it arrived, my "included" cd disc changer for my 09. Not a problem as I dont own a single CD. I'd happily settle for a set of passing lamps and all hardware, etc. I recieved these friday morning and went and asked the service department how much they would charge to install these, as well as a LED brake lamp KiteSquid so graciously gave me. The service manager said RSVs are easy to connect, only about $325!!! (Please note: I am mechanically challenged, Kite can testify to this!) so I have a set but can't afford to install em!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Picked up my lights and rack today, I have put some lights on before but never a trunk rack anybody got any suggestions or problem areas to look out for. :scratchchin:

Measure up your trunk in halves both vertically and horizontally. Take measurements of the holes on the rack and place masking tape on the corrisponding spots on the trunk lid where you want the rack to sit. Place the rack on and trace around the outside of the holes. measure in the circle being exact as you can be. Drill a bit oversized hole for some clearance and remove the tape. Install the harware and tighten it down, but not reefing it. The hardest part is drilling into a perfectly good lid, once you do it it's no problem.

...or you can ride it to Houston and I'll install it for you free!

Be sure to put the rack on in the correct orientation. I've seen many a plugged hole in the trunk lids of RSV's because someone drilled the lid and mounted the rack only to find they put the rack on 180° off. They had to re-drill.

When I was looking for extra lights up front I went for something a little different than the standard passing lamps, and probably a fair amount cheaper too. I got a set of Kuryakyn bullet shaped driving lights and P clamps from JP cycles for about $140 total and mounted them on the crash bars. For the switch I found a really nice 3 position switch at the local Yamaha dealer for about $50 that mounts on top of the brake side master cylinder so it looks like it's straight from the factory. I run my LED lights on the back off the same switch.

The driving lamps light up the road at night like an airport runway for sure. I had a guy in an SUV pull up next to me at a stop light the other night complaining that my lights were blinding him. Oh well, guess he saw me didn't he! Another great thing about them is instead of having 3 lights all in line in front and close together, you basically have a triangle of light, with the passing lamps about 4 feet apart at the bottom. Maybe I'm lucky, but in the year I've had them on, I can't remember anyone pulling out in front of me, and that's with over twenty thousand miles ridden this year. They're really bright during the day too.

They are also really tough, the left one survived me dropping the bike right on it, (with the wife on the back) on the Blue Ridge Parkway this past summer. :240:All that happened was the P clamp moved on the crash bar a little bit, and it went right back into place. I was a lot more shaken up than the lights were. No damage to us or the bike Thank God!

Installation was real simple, I just wired it directly to the battery with an inline fuse, I didn't even have to take the tank off.

Anyway, if you want some great lights for a little less money and don't want to look the same as everybody else, you can't beat those Kuryakyn Driving Lights on the crash bars.

If anybody's interested I'm might be able to take some pictures and post them. :photographing: