IGNORED

Engine Guard flexing w/Kuryakyn Longhorn footpegs

Was wondering if any of you have this issue...

I reviewed the site earlier this year as I wanted to get highway pegs.

Lots of good talk on the Kuryakyn Longhorn footpegs, so I bought them.

They work great, offer several foot positions and work well with the Yamaha air deflectors I added.

Question is... if put good pressure on them (say... push myself back in the saddle) I can see/feel the engine guards flexing.

As a result, I don't do that, however was wondering if others have the same issue?

The engine guards seem to have a surprising amount of flex in them.

I can get them to flex simply by grabbing on and pulling on them.

I checked the bolts and they're tight.

Just curious to others experiences.

My RSTD was similiar.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob

Yes, they all flex, some one on here has made some brackets to stiffin them up, not sure who it was....They may speak up....

Was wondering if any of you have this issue...

I reviewed the site earlier this year as I wanted to get highway pegs.

Lots of good talk on the Kuryakyn Longhorn footpegs, so I bought them.

They work great, offer several foot positions and work well with the Yamaha air deflectors I added.

Question is... if put good pressure on them (say... push myself back in the saddle) I can see/feel the engine guards flexing.

As a result, I don't do that, however was wondering if others have the same issue?

The engine guards seem to have a surprising amount of flex in them.

I can get them to flex simply by grabbing on and pulling on them.

I checked the bolts and they're tight.

Just curious to others experiences.

My RSTD was similiar.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob

yep...They are not real sturdy protection.

I dropped my bike as I was turning it (MAybe 3 MPH) around right after I got it...bent the left side bad.

On that other venture site a couple of years ago...venturers,org. I found a post were someone took a steel flat bar and a P clamp to brace those bars back to the cast iron support for the floor boards.

I built me a set of those after that first incident dropping the bike and seeing how flimsy they were.

I would send you a link to the post but this work computer says that site "May damage your computer" So I can't get there right now.

I do not have a good photo of them but look at this...you can see the P clamp on the chrome bars and this is attached to the cast iron floor board support by one 3/8 SS bolt with a nylon lock nut.

Sorry I do not have a better photo right now...Thrusday I will be home and can take some better photos

I put support brackets on my RSTD for the very reason you are concerned about. The original idea came from Carbon One. He pointed them out to me as we were crawling around under his trike. I made my brackets are a lil different than his but do the same job. I couln't get them to fit the same way Freebird has them in his pics. My bars don't move at all now. I can apply as my pressure to my pegs and they are rock solid. I actually layed the bike down (NOT on purpose) it was a long day, I was whipped and just couldn't hold it up when stopped and down she went.....:240:. The supports worked great. If you are interested I'll be happy to take pics. I know Carbon One was thinking of making brackets for sale but was very busy at the time.

Ed

I had some leftover 1" x 1/8" stainless from some step tubes I installed on my truck so that was one of the first things that I did after getting the bike. I did make one change. I mounted them UNDER the floorboard mounts and used a spacer between them and the brace to space it down enough to clear.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

My RSV was on the side stand while on a slightly declined driveway and simply tipped over on its side. The engine guard bent right into the floorboard. Fortunately, it is so soft I was able to bend it back in place. I would definitely recommend adding the engine guard supports not only for stiffening the foot rests but also to actually protect the floorboard and pedals in the event it tips over on soft asphalt or dirt while parked.

One of the best upgrades I have made. :thumbsup:

Yes, they will flex. It has never caused a problem for me but here is a great solution and one that I plan to do this winter.

Crash bar supports - VentureRider.Org

I did this mod from Carbon One's post last year. It is a very good safety mod. The engine guards are strong now and support my weight on the highway pegs, as they should. If it ever went down, the engine guards would actually guard the engine!

I highly recommend doing it. It is not very difficult to do, and doesn't cost too much.

• 4 weeks later...

I must live in the only metro area in North America that doesn't have any of those pipe clamps.. You can get all kinds of plastic ones, or almost similar but not exactly the right type clamps but you can't find those clamps anywhere in or around the city here.. Last time I'd see those were in the Air Force, used to secure hydraulic lines in aircraft but even the local hydraulic shops don't have them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I may be able to find them or gah, even order them online?

Thanks in advance folks..

Santa rides a Yamaha..

Yeah mine flex also but I don't pay much attention to them and I have them adjusted so I can lock my knees and raise my rear off the seat for a little relief. AND I ride like that for several miles sometimes, kind of hard on the knees though.

The point is though the guards seem to be holding up find even though they flex a lot. I suppose one of these days one of them will break while I am about half asleep and I will fall of the bike.:crying:

BOO