I'm starting the slow process of reassembly (still waiting to finish paint before installing outer cowlings).

The inner cowlings are attached and am slowing going through electrical (radio works, CB has issues)...

Anyways, I'm curious about a little green connector on the left forward/upper side of the bike.

It has two wires with the connectors that are 90 degrees from each other to form a "T" within the connector.

What does this connector connect to?

Thanks,

WHCC

I'm starting the slow process of reassembly (still waiting to finish paint before installing outer cowlings).

The inner cowlings are attached and am slowing going through electrical (radio works, CB has issues)...

Anyways, I'm curious about a little green connector on the left forward/upper side of the bike.

It has two wires with the connectors that are 90 degrees from each other to form a "T" within the connector.

What does this connector connect to?

Thanks,

WHCC

I believe what your talking about is for California bikes and the emissions system they have on them. Non-California just have the plug w/o anything plugged into it.

Thanks. I'm thinking you're right, because there was nothing left to connect to the green connector...and Yamaha usually uses the same color for both ends of a connector.

The other connector that I cannot quite figure out is on the left side of the bike, right behind where the regulator rectifier connector sits (the upright support of the frame). Looking at the wiring diagram, the only thing I see that has anything close the same colored wires is a condensor. It has one red wire and one black wire coming to a white connector. I think I saw just a little bit of white on the black wire (not a continuous line, just a single dash).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/warthogcrewchief/100_0806.jpg

Does anyone know what it might be?

Well, then in that case, I'll just seal this connector off from the elements and tuck it away ( as the PO had done...with exception of sealing it off). I did some research and the condensors were not used on points after 1982 as they were then electronic ignition. Glad to hear I have nothing to worry about!

Thanks for your help!

Well, then in that case, I'll just seal this connector off from the elements and tuck it away ( as the PO had done...with exception of sealing it off). I did some research and the condensors were not used on points after 1982 as they were then electronic ignition. Glad to hear I have nothing to worry about!

Thanks for your help!

Wrong! condensers are used for many things and condensing the spark on the ignition caused by points arcing is just one. The one being referred to here did not have that task. It is used so that you don't here the amplified sound of your spark plugs firing coming out of your speakers, often, even when the radio is turned off.

Dick

I did not mean to imply that condensers are obsolete.

There are in fact, many in the TCI unit as well as the flasher relays (83's)

The original poster made a reference in a later post to condensers on point systems, I was stating that that is not the purpose of the condenser in question.

I know that condensors are not obsolete (still used them on some older HD's). However, I was reading in the owner's repair manual that the resistor spark plugs are required to help prevent interference with the radio and the CB.

So, if the spark plugs are the resistor type, then wouldn't a condensor just be overkill?

I am also interested in these posts. I have what my wife calls a "typing pool" noise in my intercom system. It is not so bad that we can't talk through our headsets, but it is noticeable when when listening to the radio or using the intercom when my intercom is turned on. I am using Yamaha's recommended spark plugs. Marcarl helped reduce the noise by relocating some wires to reduce interference. Any suggestions to eliminate this annoyance?

Short of wrapping all the radio/comm wires in an interference shield material, I can only think of one thing:

Look for that connector and see if you have a condesor installed. Unfortunately, I was unable to find one on my bike...nor was I able to find one in the exploded diagrams on Bikebandit Perhaps Rick at Buckeye Performance. I'm told that he is very knowledgeable about VR's and can usually find what we need. I here this from the people on this website and at venturers.org.

The good news is;

59J-88188-00-00 (this appears to be official Yamaha P/N, this is same # as in parts fiche.)

This is the part # from Babbits Sport Center

It is on the Audio 1 page

Item # 81, Filter, Noise

This is from Bike Bandit

294446-001

Same page as Babbits

The bad news is;

$70.00 & they both show as unavailable.

There might be one available on ebay now.

Do a search on this item # 150379439388

The item at the top of picture appears to be one.

I have never seen one of these so this is a guess.

Maybe one of the owners of these bikes can verify this.

He wants $69.00 for all the relays or best offer.

One other thing to keep in mind, there are two items on the bike referred to as 'Noise Filter'.

One is in the power supply feeding the radio, and this is the other. They are not interchangeable.

The second one is item # 52 in Babbits & Bike Bandits listings.

I also looked at the original schematic in the service manual for this bike. There they call it a condenser, in the parts fiche they call it a Filter, noise. I am fairly sure these two are one and the same.

Gary

Edited by dingy
note about 2nd noise filter