I know that some dealers will mount them incorrectly. I was on a ride on Saturday and noticed one of the guys had his switched. If the radio antenna is connected to the cb cable and the cb antenna connected to the radio cable, will that cause reception issues with the cb?

Here is what we experienced. We would be stopped at a stoplight and we could talk to each other just fine. We hit the highway and there was so much static couldn't make out what we were saying. It wasn't anything like passing over power lines or anything like that. We were next to each other for about 2 hours and it was like that the whole way.

I know that some dealers will mount them incorrectly. I was on a ride on Saturday and noticed one of the guys had his switched. If the radio antenna is connected to the cb cable and the cb antenna connected to the radio cable, will that cause reception issues with the cb?

Here is what we experienced. We would be stopped at a stoplight and we could talk to each other just fine. We hit the highway and there was so much static couldn't make out what we were saying. It wasn't anything like passing over power lines or anything like that. We were next to each other for about 2 hours and it was like that the whole way.

If your antennas are switched it won't make any difference on reception, but transmission Will be the pits and hard on your transmitting radio. The transmitter on your radio needs to be matched to the antenna and the antenna needs to be much longer than an AM antenna, hence there is a coil in the CB antenna to make up the extra length needed.

Just an observance...

My daughter and I were on my MM and were using the intercom.

Everything was cool until I had trouble hearing another guy in our group on an 1800 Wing. It was like his Cb had really low volume.

I turned down the intercom volume and could hear him way better.

Rusty

Whew! For a second there I thought you were talking about me! I didn't notice the antenna's on that bike.

Yes, reversing the antennas will absolutely affect the operation of both radios. The AM/FM will seem mostly normal except in fringe areas, but the CB will be hugely affected, both TX and RX (but mostly the transmit)

Goose

The dealer that assembled my bike had the antennas switched. They see at most one RSV per year as they are a small dealership. OH, they also folded to the rear of the bike, NOT forward.

It took me about 20 minutes to switch them and make them fold forward to be easy to put on a bike cover.

Bob,

Easy to figure out isn't it. There were 3 Ventures, you and I both have ours correct. :hihi:

Easy fix but I don't live close enough to him to fix it for him, but I will let him know.

Thanks ya'll.

Excuse me...... what do I ride, Swiss Cheese???

OK, we weren't riding together, but at least we were parked close enough that my bike should count!!:confused24: Feeling left out....

:sign just kidding::rasberry:

• 4 months later...

To elaborate on what Freezy just wrote: If you grope around under the mounts and follow the wires you'll find that the AM/FM wire goes forward and under the passenger seat while the CB wire goes directly into a plastic box under the trunk. That plastic box is where the CB lives.

I showed that to the boss at Dreyer (rather than just trying to tell a salesman, all of whom seem to know everything about nothing) and now they all get put on correctly. Amazing how much difference it makes when the boss knows. :)

The antennas have been off of my bike several times both before and after I bought it. I can't tell a bit of difference in the two antennas, so how do I know if the right one is in the right spot????

The left one goes on the left side..... :witch_brew:

just kiddin .. couldn't help muhself ... the CB antenna is the one with the black piece in the middle...it goes on the left.

ooops... I re-read your post and noticed you have a 1st gen. Normally you'd only have one antenna then which would be on the right.

So, I don't know what you've got if you have 2 and they're the same.

The left one goes on the left side.....

just kiddin .. couldn't help muhself ... the CB antenna is the one with the black piece in the middle...it goes on the left.

HA!!! Both of mine have the black thing in the middle. Do I have two CB antennas???

I think yours have been modified. The First Gens came with a single antenna with a splitter. If you have two, then I think somebody has modified it but apparently you DO have two CB antennas.

If it's been modified, they did a heck of a job. Both antenna mounts look exactly the same. I dunno, but I would like to have some shorter antenna's. I'm getting tired of taking these off every time I want to put the bike in the lower garage.

I showed that to the boss at Dreyer (rather than just trying to tell a salesman, all of whom seem to know everything about nothing) and now they all get put on correctly. Amazing how much difference it makes when the boss knows. :)

Steve,

I think you need to take them back to skool. The shop manager was trying to tell me that the carbs needed cleaning. I asked which ones and she said both of them. Uh, no thanks. This was also after a couple months of having used Seafoam.

Had they synched the carbs properly I don't think they would have recommended it. They were close but still no cigar.

Now this is the way I understand it and I may be way off base. If the antenna's are switched and connected to the right equipment (radio antenna to radio and CB antenna to CB) then it doesn't hurt anything. If your antenna's are switched and connected to the wrong thing (CB antenna to radio and radio antenna to CB) then you have a problem.:confused24:

... If the antenna's are switched and connected to the right equipment (radio antenna to radio and CB antenna to CB) then it doesn't hurt anything. If your antenna's are switched and connected to the wrong thing (CB antenna to radio and radio antenna to CB) then you have a problem.:confused24:

That is correct. BUT, my understanding of this is that the cable that comes out of the CB box is not long enough to actually connect to the CB antenna IF the CB antenna is mounted on the wrong side - therefore the radio antenna gets plugged into the CB box if it is on the wrong side.

So if, during assembly, the CB box (under the trunk) was installed backwards (which I am pretty sure it cannot be) THEN it would be possible to have the antennas switched and still be plugged into the appropriate units.

In most applications cb antennas use a PL259 CB/Ham radio screw in connector for the antenna coaxial cable. And most car radios use a Motorola rg59 plug in cable connector. It is impossible to get these mixed up. However in the spirit of keeping life interesting motorcycle manufacturers decided to use the same type Motorola plug in car radio connector for the radio and the CB antennas. So to be sure you are connected correctly you have to trace the cable from the CB antenna to the black box under the trunk. My understanding is some 2009 and later Ventures have the CB antenna mounted on the right hand side. You can clearly see this on the 2010 Venture on the Royal Star web page.

Mike

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/586/0/home.aspx

Guest tx2sturgis
So to be sure you are connected correctly you have to trace the cable from the CB antenna to the black box under the trunk. My understanding is some 2009 and later Ventures have the CB antenna mounted on the right hand side. You can clearly see this on the 2010 Venture on the Royal Star web page.

Mike

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/586/0/home.aspx

Or:

Turn the bike on accessory. Dont start it.

Turn off the AM/FM, turn ON the CB. Put the CB on an unused channel, open the squelch ALL the way ( zero) and turn the volume up loud enuff that u can hear some background noise. Reach up and grab the antenna with the coil, and enclose the coil in your fist. If you notice a difference, (usually quieter) then your CB antenna is hooked up to the CB. BTW...the CB antenna SHOULD be on the left ( clutch side) , same side as the PTT button. I think that picture shows the antennas in the wrong places, but maybe they made a change I dont know about....or maybe the photographer decided it looked better that way. Who knows...

Edited by tx2sturgis

I did the Marshall Mod to [ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/christo/sets/72157617011298781/]Marshall Mods - a set on Flickr[/ame] about 3 years ago. So the connectors and the antennae are the same, just one is "tuned" differently. But originally my CB was on the left side of bike, if you are sitting on it.

HTH