IGNORED

1984 yamaha venture royal

not sure waht the problem could be?

i bought this bike over 2 years ago. it sat for a year. but was started twice a month?

i bought it rather dirt cheap. i think. $1200. since then i installed new windshield, brakes and rotors, new dunlop tires, and put seafoam in the tank and down the carbs, ok now here is the problem. after the seafoam treatment and somoked like hell LOL i let it sit for 2 days and continued to fire it there after. due to a severe knne injury i could not ride it:95: well today i had to move it to my brother inlaws gargae. it sat out side for 2 weeks under a very nice custom cover. i started the bike it would just die and not idle well. i let the choke on about 1/2 way and she ran ok. i then let the choke off it would idle for about 2 minutes and then just chug on down to about 700 rpms. then start to back fire . i would crack the throttle and it would hesitate but then rev up ok. i then took off for the 25 mile ride. to the brother inlaws house. knee brace on. and all. the bike just would not get past 55 mph???? in top gear it would act like there just was no more power to give?? being that its going on good old winter time. and being in bad shape. i dont have time to dig into it. but would love suggestions on whats going on. total knee replacement on friday the 13 th :scared: . so time to work on the bike will have to come slowly. unless i find a good shop around here. there is a harley shop here that worked on it once but that shop kept putting my bike back in the shop and took 3 weeks for a tire change and brake job. can you say they didnt give a **** about me just when i went in there and complained enough they finished it and then had the never to say they didnt want my kind of customer around there shop. now i have to find some good old boy or shop willing to help a old goat get this old bike up and running. it has 77.000 miles and in my honest opion wasent taken good care of after the person i got it from went total harley. no offense to harley owners. but i grew up where no matter what ya rode. if ya see a 2 wheeler broke down along side the road you stopped to give help. and yes i also own what harley owners call the girrlie bike a 883 huger.. well enough will any one help a old goat:innocent-emoticon:

If the plugs don't work I know a good independent mechanic in the Pekin, IL area (near Peoria) if you can get the bike there, I highly recommend him. He worked on my Gen 1 and I am taking it back to him for some leaks and other things in a couple weeks.

No Yamaha shops in your area? We aren't all that far from the Rockford area.

Hey ole goat--------what each person has told is of extreme importance,in the overall way that these 1st Gens. run!-------------SOOOOOOO it is WORTH the $12 ---------that few shekels U pay NOW will come back to ya in greater knowledge of the 84! or may-b you are the millionaire next door????? and love to pay those 'stealer' prices---------:thumbsup2::mo money::usa:

i went out bought new plugs. and while i was at it . i thought about checking the air filter before heading out to the parts store. air filter is nice and clean. but i noticed what looks like a tube running down next to it? i put a flash light on it and it looks like there might ne somw kind of weather checking. hmmm is it a vaccum thing? also after my knee is done. i wsill go out and put around on it. fixing things. from waht i see about this bike its verry nice to ride. you feel like your ridding in this bike not on it. now i have to confess and when i become a full member. i will have to do a donate thing. im only 5 ft 8 big gut old goat. well i went to mount the bike. bet ya all can see this comming LOL i went to place my right leg over the seat and i have to slide it accross. well being that i have a hard time doing this i kicked the back rest. and well the bike went to the right. and i went on my arse to the left. let me tell ya a 800 pound bike on its crash bar . looked like i was going to have a hell of a time getting her up. but then the old training kicked in. place kick stand down. go on the side the bike is down. place your left hand on handle bar. grab a good spot with right hand towards back of bike. place my wide butt. into the seat. and rock the bike back up. up she came. not a scratch on the bike . the cruse foot pegs on the crash bar took the brunt of the tip. i want to bring this bike back. paint is bad. faded and was told its spider webbed in the fairing. no major cracks. every thing is still solid mounted. dont know if the bike can be painted/ due to the spider things in the fairing. its a tri color? maroon, brown. and goldish. was this common on the 84?. and once again a wonder full site. as for a good mechanic. yes there is a yamaha shop about 15 miles away. but they wont work on any bike over 15 years old/ kinda odd?? i live in peru illinois. bike is now stored in a little town called oglesby. illinois.

when i recover from the knee i will work on it in the spring..

• 4 years later...

i have a '84 venture royale that i just bought that only has 5250 original miles on it. when i got it fired up it smokes really bad from the right pipe and has oil in the pipe all the way to the muffler & no power. anybody have any ideas what it could be? the only thing i can think of is a valve problem but not sure. thanks

this an old post of mine as I no longer have the 84

but these people have a lot of experience.

I had mine running fair when I sold it

thanks to these great people.

if I could hold one up now but I cant due to bad knees and hips.

I would go for another one.