IGNORED

How much Rear end "roar" normal or acceptable?

My 1987 VR has 87,000 miles on it. The rear end definately roars at anything above 45mph. When you pull in the clutch at 60mph, you realize the roar is almost as loud as the engine, especially when turning. My tires are new, and the bike is running good, with no lurching, or anomalies when cornering. I greased the rear splines myself when I changed the rear tire only 3000 miles ago, but i can tell you it was not moly 60 grease by honda or moly paste. I intend on pulling the rear wheel and applying moly as my first step, then weigh out changing out the pumpkin. I'm not going to rebuild it- it is just too complex for me or my tool and skill set. i'll probably get a used one with 30k on it or something.

How quiet are rear ends in perfect order? I have no way of evaluating this!

As always, thanks!

Old Man going down Mexico way....

:confused07:

I will be interested in what others have to say. In my case, with my 88VR, I haven't noticed or been bothered by any rear end noise. However, there are times (intermittent only) when I hear a disconcerting grumble when I go to neutral at a stop. Not sure of the source or if that is another common feature of our 1st gens. Overall, I love the way my 1st gen bike runs.

Not enough experience yet on these machines to say what's normal but pumpkins are cheap enough on E-bay and many go unsold. This tells me that that.

1. Not a big expense to replace if it is bad.

2. If it was a systemic problem (like crumbling plastic) they would be selling for much more. Pumpkins for Guzzi's, which seldom go bad unless abused, sell for much more than these do. Doubt many fail but yours could have.

My 1987 VR has 87,000 miles on it. The rear end definately roars at anything above 45mph. When you pull in the clutch at 60mph, you realize the roar is almost as loud as the engine, especially when turning. My tires are new, and the bike is running good, with no lurching, or anomalies when cornering. I greased the rear splines myself when I changed the rear tire only 3000 miles ago, but i can tell you it was not moly 60 grease by honda or moly paste. I intend on pulling the rear wheel and applying moly as my first step, then weigh out changing out the pumpkin. I'm not going to rebuild it- it is just too complex for me or my tool and skill set. i'll probably get a used one with 30k on it or something.

How quiet are rear ends in perfect order? I have no way of evaluating this!

As always, thanks!

Old Man going down Mexico way....

:confused07:

You say that you greased the rear splines....did you also grease the drive pins where they go into the wheel? I'm making an assumption here that the 1st gens have the same drive pin setup that the RSV has...hope I'm not mistaken. If you did not pull the pin hub out, clean and lube the pins and the pin holes, then your noise could be coming from there.

I'd also suggest that you do a very close inspection on your rear wheel bearings. I just had one go bad...they can make all kinds of noises on their way out.

There should be no roar from the rear end.

Assuming it isn't the speedometer or cable (they have a way of casting their sounds to other parts of the bike....):

If the noise is speed dependent but not load dependent (meaning accelerating or compression braking) it's almost certainly wheel bearings or tire noise.

Guest tx2sturgis
this post wasnt what I thought it would be.....lol! Tsk, tsk, tsk, noise from a rear end, what the heck is anyone sposed to think....lol!

Brian

Right...from just the title thread I'd be wanting to answer: well it depends on if youre an executive in a board meeting or the bulldozer driver on a road construction crew...very much 'situational'!

:moon:

Wow. It could be a speedo cable. I just lubed it not long ago and it didn't completely go silent...I lubed it with jiggabo (oil) not graphite spray.

As for the pins...I defineately did not clean and lube them....So I will when i tear it down.

:225:

In my case "normal rear end roar" is quite loud..... I tried the Honda Moly 60 but that just changed the "tone" ... maybe it's what I'm "putting in" that's causing the roar ...

:rotf:

ps. guess I should say that it depends a lot where I am whether or not it's an "acceptable roar"..

I have a 87 and the worst noise I have is from the Rear Brake Disk, the rivets are loose as all get out and it makes a lot of rattling noise. Its a strange sound so you might want to check the rivets and make sure they aren't rattling around on you.

Pete

Wow. It could be a speedo cable. I just lubed it not long ago and it didn't completely go silent...I lubed it with jiggabo (oil) not graphite spray.

As for the pins...I defineately did not clean and lube them....So I will when i tear it down.

:225:

You have to force grease into the back of the speedo to grease the gears inside. I just did this on mine, but had the whole instrument panel out at the time. It worked.

I will be interested in what others have to say. In my case, with my 88VR, I haven't noticed or been bothered by any rear end noise. However, there are times (intermittent only) when I hear a disconcerting grumble when I go to neutral at a stop. Not sure of the source or if that is another common feature of our 1st gens. Overall, I love the way my 1st gen bike runs.

I have this too. I wonder if it has to do with alingning the drive shaft. I seem to remember a post by skydoc where he shimmed his his shaft. Skydoc any answers?

My 83 requires manual greasing of the drive shaft splines that connect to the pumpkin at every tire change or about 9,000 miles. Didnt know this at first and had to replace a ruined drive shaft and reciever splines in the pumpkin. Pack the cavity at the end of the drive shaft full of grease.