IGNORED

Dragging starter revisted, AGAIN $^*$##@&*)_*$#@

Once again I have the reoccuring problem of the starter draggin. Now it's dragging so bad that it won't turn the engine over. sometimes it will catch and crank mostly it just sounds like it doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over.

As indicated this is an reoccurring problem I went through this several months ago and thought I had it fixed by replaceing the bad under warrenty Odyssee battery. It worked great for a while then started acting up again and got progressively worse until now it just won't hardly crank.

I've jumped out from hot battery to power lug on starter and it is doing the same thing.

I've removed the starter and have taken it apart and cleaned it up and reinstalled. No Help.

The battery wires have all been upgraded and have also added a second ground from engine ground point to frame.

All the ground points are in good shape.

I'm at the end of my rope. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Edited by Dragonslayer

Mine did that until I upgraded to larger wires then replaced the battery with a PC680 gell battery and that made all the difference. I bought a new bike and removed the gell and reinstalled the previous battery and the problem came back. These oddyssy batteries are great.

Mine did that until I upgraded to larger wires then replaced the battery with a PC680 gell battery and that made all the difference. I bought a new bike and removed the gell and reinstalled the previous battery and the problem came back. These oddyssy batteries are great.
That's what they say but I've already had one bad odyssee and I'm not so sure that the warranty replacement is any better. I'm starting to think this replacement odyssee battery 4 months old is going south.

Thanks for the heads up but I was outbid on it.

Thanks anyway

bob i was looking in the vmax parts on ebay and they have ones that are listed for $91.00 new the part # is listed as 1FK81800-10-00 the part # for the vr is 26H81800-10-00 it looks like the same to me but maybe someone would know for sure. if so the seller had about 10 to sell Item# 230388918188

Dragonslayer,

Before buying a starter try a known good battery and see if the starter still drags. You can even use your car battery just connect it with jumper cables. This will tell you whether the starter is good or not. If the good battery starts it ok, you may have another bad Odyssey or the charging system may need to be checked. Its possible the Odyssey isn't getting recharged enough to start the bike. GeorgeS has posted some good tips on charging system troubleshooting in the past.

Good Luck

bob i was looking in the vmax parts on ebay and they have ones that are listed for $91.00 new the part # is listed as 1FK81800-10-00 the part # for the vr is 26H81800-10-00 it looks like the same to me but maybe someone would know for sure. if so the seller had about 10 to sell Item# 230388918188

Squeeze says they will fit check out the question for squeeze post to see his awnser.hope this helps

The starter on my '86 VR will drag a little when hot. Give it 20 minutes to cool a little and it starts great. Starts great cold, just when the bike is good and hot, even on a coolish day (50's) and you stop for gas, it will drag a little, and maybe stop, but then hit it again and it goes. Sounds like the starter to me, I wonder if a local shop that does a good job on car starters can clean/re-build this one?

Bob-

Three things come to mind here but they aren't very different than already discussed.

1- A starter can test well on the bench but be failing once placed under a load. Is it possible to put you starter in someone elses bike or theirs in you bike?

2- A battery can show fully charged and still not have sufficient cold cranking amps to start your bike. This is usually because of low water (probably not your problem) or one or more of the cells being partially or fully incapacitated. You test with the car battery leads me to make this the most likely issue.

3- Your starter may have a small short to ground condition in which it needs more amperage than normal. Your test with the car battery and the small hesitation makes this a second possibility. Car condition and jumper cables (connection) also could do this.

Maybe George or someone else will jump in and might have testing techniques on some of this.

Dave