IGNORED

tire contact

footsie

I was ridding behind my wife on her road star, she has bridgestone mc tires, the rear tire has worn flat in the middle. The thing I noticed is the fact that when she leans the bike in a curve, the tread lifts off the pavement, and there is very little tire contact with the pavement. So I began to closely watch all the bikes I was following around daytona.

What I saw was the same, when you lean a bike, even with the MC tire gound contact is reduced, some more than others.

It appears to me, that the CT on the back of my venture maintains more ground contact than the motorcycle tire.

Just an observation

Gregg

I was ridding behind my wife on her road star, she has bridgestone mc tires, the rear tire has worn flat in the middle. The thing I noticed is the fact that when she leans the bike in a curve, the tread lifts off the pavement, and there is very little tire contact with the pavement. So I began to closely watch all the bikes I was following around daytona.

What I saw was the same, when you lean a bike, even with the MC tire gound contact is reduced, some more than others.

It appears to me, that the CT on the back of my venture maintains more ground contact than the motorcycle tire.

Just an observation

Gregg

don't know if it has a bigger contact patch, but MINE definately has more traction

I was ridding behind my wife on her road star, she has bridgestone mc tires, the rear tire has worn flat in the middle. Gregg

If you are getting excessive wear in the middle of the tire, you are over inflating the tire. This will also result in reduction of patch contact in turns.

:15_8_211[1]:

Here is the problem I have with the whole car tire idea. I have a Gen1, suspension is all the way up (70 rear, 12 front). My cruise pegs are on the top bar of the engine crash bar and only stick out 2" when folded up. I still grind off the cruise peg mounts while thrashing the twisties. There is no way a car tire is going to go over that far. That's also why I use Metzlers. They hold consistantly all the way to the edge of the tire. I have some Dunlop CruiseMax tires that only have 1000 miles on them. They were great in the rain, but on the edge of the tire they would lose a little causing a slight wobble. Now I do realize not everybody rides theirs like a sport bike. That's why I have a 1st gen, not a 2nd gen. But the tire is no place to cut corners (no pun intended). And the center of the rear tire wears out first when you do mostly highway straightline driving without much cornering.

I have stayed with the gen1 because I need a sport tourer for the performance, and the luxury for the wife. And I'm way to cheap to spend $30k on the big BMW.

Here is the problem I have with the whole car tire idea. I have a Gen1, suspension is all the way up (70 rear, 12 front). My cruise pegs are on the top bar of the engine crash bar and only stick out 2" when folded up. I still grind off the cruise peg mounts while thrashing the twisties. There is no way a car tire is going to go over that far. That's also why I use Metzlers. They hold consistantly all the way to the edge of the tire. I have some Dunlop CruiseMax tires that only have 1000 miles on them. They were great in the rain, but on the edge of the tire they would lose a little causing a slight wobble. Now I do realize not everybody rides theirs like a sport bike. That's why I have a 1st gen, not a 2nd gen. But the tire is no place to cut corners (no pun intended). And the center of the rear tire wears out first when you do mostly highway straightline driving without much cornering.

I have stayed with the gen1 because I need a sport tourer for the performance, and the luxury for the wife. And I'm way to cheap to spend $30k on the big BMW.

Ok. I understand why you don't want a car tire now. Thanks.

I still scrape pegs on mine, and it still scares the crap out of me every time it happens.

Have you seen [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhkCA_JwJM]YouTube - SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III[/ame]on youtube?

Edited by tsigwing
added link

I think it's a moot point (sorry for the $5 word, LoL ) anyway because if memory serves :confused24: I don't believe they make a size that will fit the 1st Gen's anyway.

But I would like to see one of the "too tuff and not too smart" sport bike kids mount a CT and wring it out just to see how far they could lean it and how well it would do. It would be interesting!

This is a picture from the Bridgestone tire website.

The intent is to show that MC tires are supposed to maintain a relatively consistent contact patch while being leaned over.

Too bad Bridgestone can't make a decent motorcycle tire to begin with, let alone tell us that car tires will handle worse then Bridgestones.