IGNORED

Anyone been watching Ken Burns's "The War" on PBS?

helomech

I've been hearing a lot about the series and finally got to see an episode tonight. So far, its nothing like I've seen on the war before. I've watched a lot of WWII shows on the history channel, but this really has a different focus. It's format is very similar to the "Civil War" series a few years ago, and it really draws you in.

Any Thoughts?

I haven't watched any of it, but then again, I was fortunate enough to have grown up with WWII vets around. Then when I went in the service I worked for some of those guys. I drove for a little over a year for a LTG that commanded an armored combat team that held up the German assault on Bastogne while the 101st was setting up. And being in Germany I met quite a few Germans who were also vets of the war. Their stories were important, but more important was their strength of character.

Sitting on this side of history we cannot fathom the uncertainty that the folks who lived then faced. Not knowing if their way of life would survive, or for those who lived under rule of the Axis powers, if they would ever know freedom again. We owe them all a huge debt of gratitude.