IGNORED

1983 first gen HID installation

I have a '83 standard that I have been altering the electrical system since I got it last year. So far I have added the Shindengen R/R, a cooling fan run timer, a Internatrix security alarm, replaced the fuse box with a ATO style, moved the TCI onto the top of the airbox and today I would like to share the installation of a HID Bi-Xeon headlight.

[ATTACH]37353[/ATTACH]

I bought the HID kit on Ebay for only $58.00 and the shipping was free from Hong Kong. The package arrived in 6 days! I had followed the previous thread on the projector type headlight replacement but didn't like the change in the front look of the bike. I like the square headlight and I wanted to see if I could find a good H4 HID kit to increase the light output and longevity. I found this kit on Ebay

Item number:170371397794

and I went ahead and purchased it. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised with the completeness of the kit and the ease of installation.

[ATTACH]37354[/ATTACH]

I decided to mount the slim ballast in the fairing next to the headlight frame using dual-lock mounting strip (super velcro!!). This makes it very accessable and adds cooling if neccessary. The included relay module (routes 12v direct from battery) was secured behind the left turn signal inside the fairing cavity. I use this space to mount additional relays for my drivinglights, dual fanfare horns and cooling fan timer relays. This space is easily accessed and fairly protected from heat and weather.

I had previously installed a 20W halogen (type BA9s) light bulb into the metal headlight reflector. This gave me a daytime running light to reduce the unnecessary useage of the main headlight and reduced the amp draw on the charging system. I incorporated this smaller bulb into the new headlight circuit by installing a rocker switch on the left side fairing next to my 12v receptacle. The rocker switch selects between the 20W halogen daytime running light and the HID low beam setting (daytime or night selection).

I have only had the HID system installed a short time but I am very pleased with the function. The HID bulb is tilted in it's socket by a solenoid to change between high beam and low beam. The bulb stays energized all the time so the light output stays constant. The bulb just tilts upward for the high beam. The kit is marketed for motorcycle use so I expect it should stand up to use on the Venture. Only time will tell....

I too am interested in the service life of the HID kit. Since the HID bulb doesn't have a filament, vibration shouldn't be a problem. The high/low solenoid is de-energized in low beam and in the lower position. So vibration and run time shouldn't affect it too much.

The manufacturer has a one year warranty (for whats thats worth). With a purchase price of just $58.00, I figured it was worth a shot.

The slim ballast is mounted in a good location for weather protection so water shouldn't be a problem. The electrical connections are the sealed automotive type. Since I already run a new regualtor/rectifier, my DC system stays very stable. So voltage spikes should be minimized.

All said, it is just a experiment in lighting that will have to play out thru the next year and then we shall see if I will add this system to my other bikes.

SaltyDog,

Thanks for the post.

I have an 83 that I have been working on. Quite dissatisfied with the lighting.

Do you believe the route you have taken is the best way to get the needed light?

I have read where some people think that 83's should upgrade to a later year (86 maybe)

What do you think?

Bob

SaltyDog,

Thanks for the post.

I have an 83 that I have been working on. Quite dissatisfied with the lighting.

Do you believe the route you have taken is the best way to get the needed light?

I have read where some people think that 83's should upgrade to a later year (86 maybe)

What do you think?

Bob

I upgraded my 83 to an 86 up light and am very happy with it. I also have a PIAA bulb, which I also had in my 83 set up. It is a very good conversion in my opinion.

RandyA

My reason for installing the HID lighting was to 1st: increase light output without changing external appearance, 2nd: continue updating lighting system (already changed all lights and signals to LED) to something more modern and less prone to failure on the road and 3rd: reduce lighting current demand on the bikes electrical system. These are the reasons I tell myself, but the real truth is I am a gadget junkie and really wanted to test this type of lighting to see if it will stand up.

I have 4 other bikes and my 1983 venture is one of the youngest at 26 years old (1972 Suzuki GT750, 1975 Suzuki RE5, 1977 BMW R100RS and a 1989 BMW R100GS). I keep them all running and licensed so I can ride which ever one strikes my fancy. But wilth the increasing age of my small motorcycle collection, I find I want to make them safer to ride at night. With the high cost of good Halogen bulbs in higher wattage ratings, I figured if I could get a reliable H4 replacement HID solution then it would be worth the effort and modest expense ($58.00) of the system I installed.

The longevity of the system is still a unknown at this time. The system I bought is marketed for motorcycle use and carries a one year manufactures warranty. You will have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. I enjoy the process of modifiying my bikes and can't seem to leave them alone.

I have a extensive background in industrial electrical controls and electronics so changing up the electrical systems on my bikes is very comfortable to me. I don't allow anyone to work on any of my bikes, I even mount and balance my tires. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you have to do it to 4 or 5 bikes it can add up to a never ending job.

I will be following this thread.

I have been looking at HID setups for a while now.

I did find one for around $70 that actually has 2 HID sections in a single H4 bulb for the Hi-Lo beam.

That may be one of my next projects once I am done with my LED tail lights.

I have had an HID bi-xenon on my 05 for the last 4 years. Same bulb and transformer/starter/ 60k miles on it. An I can tell you there's a world of difference in light output. I would replace it every year if needed just to have that kind if light but it has not been needed it. I did buy the car kit just to have a spare. Still have the spare. I also made sure to buy the bi-xenon kit that the bulb actually changes position from hi/lo to get the right light pattern in hi/lo. These will not affect your electrical system. They use them on car/truck/buses/bikes and everything now with no side effects on the existing electrical system. Just ask a few of the people I have ridden with about how bright and clear my headlight is.

The CMS needs to have the headlight reed switches on the circuit board jumpered to prevent a error signal to the readout. I had previously jumpered the brake and running lights switches to allow the use of LED light modules on my bike so the additional jumpers were very easy to solder onto the back of the board. You can look up the other thead I posted showing the location of the reed switches. With the reed switches jumpered, the CMS doesn't know how much current is flowing thru the circuit so you won't get a error on the display when you use non-standard lights on the bike.

Another modification needs to be carried out with the reserve lighting device. This unit will not like the lower current draw of the HID solenoid and try to switch to High beam. I removed the green/red and yellow/green wires from the plug to the reserve lighting device to remove control over the high beam. I just pushed the pins out of the plug and taped them along side the cable. I also added a jumper between the blue/black and blue/white wires which feed power to the headlight high/low switch on the handlebar. Both of these modifications to the reserved lighting device probably aren't needed but this takes the unit out of the circuit (it is working on my bike now without any problems). I will reattach high beam signal wire (yellow/green) later to see if I can get the high beam indicator on the dash to function again.

CMS board layout 1.jpg

• 5 months later...

Another modification needs to be carried out with the reserve lighting device. This unit will not like the lower current draw of the HID solenoid and try to switch to High beam. I removed the green/red and yellow/green wires from the plug to the reserve lighting device to remove control over the high beam. I just pushed the pins out of the plug and taped them along side the cable. I also added a jumper between the blue/black and blue/white wires which feed power to the headlight high/low switch on the handlebar. Both of these modifications to the reserved lighting device probably aren't needed but this takes the unit out of the circuit (it is working on my bike now without any problems). I will reattach high beam signal wire (yellow/green) later to see if I can get the high beam indicator on the dash to function again.

I did get my HID installed and all working.

I did have to jumper the CMS as you indicated, to get rid of the headlight out warning.

For the Reserve Lighting Unit, I simply unplugged it, and using some #12AWG solid wire I made 3 Jumpers to stick in the end of the wire harness connector.

Jumper 1 was from Blue/White to Blue/Black. This sends the power to the handlebar dimmer switch.

Jumper 2 was from Black to Blue/Green. This provides a ground path for the High beam indicator.

Jumper 3 was from Yellow/Green to Blue/Red. This turns on the High beam indicator.

The remaining Yellow and Green/Red have no connections.

Tape it up good to hold in the jumpers, and you are all set to go.

By doing it this way you can easily pull out the jumpers and plug it back in for stock operation.

It appears to me that the reserve lighting unit on the 83 model is different than the later models. On my bike (83 standard) the high beam indicator has a full time separate 12v hot wire and the ground condutor is supplied through the reserve lighting unit. In order to get the high beam indicator to work with the reserve lighting unit removed, I tapped into the yellow/green wire from the CMU that feeds the H4 highbeam. For a ground path for the high beam indicator I jumpered through the remaining reserve light unit plug and routed it to the high beam indicator.

You can see the changes I made in the electrical .pdf I've attached. It looks complicated, but is a method I used and can be returned to stock quite easily. I still want to find a use for the white headlight out indicator on the dash, maybe I will figure out a way to get it to light up if the HID ballast fails.

I also installed a 20w halogen daytime running light function in the stock reflector that I can use if needed or wanted. It's surprising how much light it makes for daytime riding.

• 3 years later...

have never had a globe fail me in 40 years and several hundred bikes may be im lucky

Never Sean the pint in hi powered light our spotlights hi beam always bean good for me.

but that's just me

don't have a problem with the new stuff but the old ones are plenty reliable if you by the motorcycle specific bulbs they have heaver filaments and like i sead in 40 years i have never had one fall but have mates that have had the new stuff die on them and besides that quite often it interferes with the radio as my mate with the 85 gold wing fond out lol hes still crying decors he carnt get the buzz out when his hi beam is on :whistling:

I still have everything mounted and wired in my fairing and it still has been never used. I haven't had the heart to remove my instument cluster to have my friend do the circuit board modification. (even my buddy Tim couldn't get all the screws back in when he changed his cluster, so I may as well not even try)

So I took the after market headlight bulb that I bought for my GS 1100 and put it in the VR.

This is the PIAA lamp that I have. https://www.denniskirk.com/piaa/h4-high-performance-halogen-bulb-xtreme-white.p22387.prd/22387.sku

At almost $50 it is nearly as pricey as a cheap HID. And it is amazing. It is bright and it has far more range than stock. It has also proven to be reliable. I ran that bulb for 3 years in my GS and part of this year in the VR.

• Light Output is 110/100W
  • Power consumption: 60/55w

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old and so how long did the light last? I have a nice pair of Taiwan 35 HID projectors (?? 68mm lens and I ordered one with a hi/low beam control that is actually a shield that moves within the housing for the beam cutoff) I installed as auxillary light pods on my '78 cb750 but within 1.5 years, both lights went out. not sure if it's bulbs or ballasts. I looked at one of the bulbs and it looks hazy (I think they were clear when new. For the Honda I was going to buy another set of HID bulb/ballasts (hoping to find better quality, longer life) or was wondering if the new LEDs might install in the pods (there's an H1 bulb in an adapter plate). But I don't think there is an LED out now that actually runs anywhere near the 35W. I think the LED would have to be around 40W and also shine in all directions like the HID bulb in order to output a comparable amount of light from the projector housing.. does anyone know of a good High power LED or long lasting 35W HID for my projectors?? and what about installing into my OEM light housing (I think it's an H4 bulb). I'm worried that a 80/100W halogen will be too hot for the housing or cover or connector or wiring in the headlight area, or even the system power constraints..

The CMS needs to have the headlight reed switches on the circuit board jumpered to prevent a error signal to the readout. I had previously jumpered the brake and running lights switches to allow the use of LED light modules on my bike so the additional jumpers were very easy to solder onto the back of the board. You can look up the other thead I posted showing the location of the reed switches. With the reed switches jumpered, the CMS doesn't know how much current is flowing thru the circuit so you won't get a error on the display when you use non-standard lights on the bike.

which HID system did you install (and how), and has it lasted??

I have had an HID bi-xenon on my 05 for the last 4 years. Same bulb and transformer/starter/ 60k miles on it. An I can tell you there's a world of difference in light output. I would replace it every year if needed just to have that kind if light but it has not been needed it. I did buy the car kit just to have a spare. Still have the spare. I also made sure to buy the bi-xenon kit that the bulb actually changes position from hi/lo to get the right light pattern in hi/lo. These will not affect your electrical system. They use them on car/truck/buses/bikes and everything now with no side effects on the existing electrical system. Just ask a few of the people I have ridden with about how bright and clear my headlight is.