IGNORED

What's behind the rubber plug???

There is a cast-in boss running across the top of the rear end drive, just aft of the joint between the torque tube and the drive. There is a rubber plug in the end of that boss. I need an attachment point and it looks like there might be a threaded hole behind the plug. The plug is very tight and I might destroy it while removing it. Does anybody know if there is a threaded hole behind it?

Thanx, Woody

Hey Woody,

I have attached a pic below of a final drive with a red arrow pointing to what I Think you are talking about. ( If I am wrong, tell me where to look!) Yamaha uses this final drive housing for a number of shaft drive bikes with different gear ratios and different shock mounting configurations. Your bike has a "Mono-Shock" and the shock mount is built into the swing arm. On a bike like the VMAX, Yamaha uses a pair of shocks and the bottom of one of the shocks would mount in this hole. As you can see in the pic, there is no hole in this final drive because it is from an 05' FJR1300 (a Mono-Shock bike) If your final drive has a plug then it was drilled and tapped for a stud that a shock would mount to.

You Didn't say what you wanted to use this hole for but I do want to mention that what ever you bolt on there NEEDS to be something that will be solely mounted to the final drive because this hole, like the final drive itself, is in a state of constant up and down motion when the bike is being ridden. In other words DO NOT attach a trailer hitch, strut that goes to the frame or any other rigid piece of metal to this hole because you will effectively make your bike a rigid frame scoot, stopping all movement of the rear suspension. If this is not what you were talking about...........Well never mind!

Earl

Hey Woody,

I have attached a pic below of a final drive with a red arrow pointing to what I Think you are talking about. ( If I am wrong, tell me where to look!) Yamaha uses this final drive housing for a number of shaft drive bikes with different gear ratios and different shock mounting configurations. Your bike has a "Mono-Shock" and the shock mount is built into the swing arm. On a bike like the VMAX, Yamaha uses a pair of shocks and the bottom of one of the shocks would mount in this hole. As you can see in the pic, there is no hole in this final drive because it is from an 05' FJR1300 (a Mono-Shock bike) If your final drive has a plug then it was drilled and tapped for a stud that a shock would mount to.

You Didn't say what you wanted to use this hole for but I do want to mention that what ever you bolt on there NEEDS to be something that will be solely mounted to the final drive because this hole, like the final drive itself, is in a state of constant up and down motion when the bike is being ridden. In other words DO NOT attach a trailer hitch, strut that goes to the frame or any other rigid piece of metal to this hole because you will effectively make your bike a rigid frame scoot, stopping all movement of the rear suspension. If this is not what you were talking about...........Well never mind!

Earl

Now where did I see a rear like that!!:whistling: