IGNORED

recent year model changes

Chrsto1

First let me say that I'm new here, and I appreciate all the good info on the site. I ride a VStar 1100, but I'm going to move to a Venture. I want to get back into the long haul rides, and 2-up the V Star just isn't enough for me. I want to look for a recent model, maybe '06 or up. Here's my question.. I thought I read somewhere that there was a change in the transmission gear cut in '08 that made it more quiet. Now I can't find where I saw that, maybe I misread it at the time. Are there any major changes in recent years that I should know about when deciding which year to go with? I've looked at the history of the venture, but it just doesn't go into that detail. Any tips would be great..I'm looking fwd to joining you guys as a Venture rider!

Chris J

Rider magazine did a comparison of V-engined touring bikes a couple of months ago. (The Venture tied with the Harley Ultra for first place) Their comment about the Venture was that the only major change since 1999 was going to a pillow-top seat in 2001 (except on the Midnight edition). I believe early on (around 2000) there were changes made to the antenna or topcase mounts due to cracks developing on 1999 models, but I don't know the details. I don't believe there have been any changes in the past 6 or 7 years except paint and color and blackening the engine.

Low mileage pre-2008 models can be had for huge discounts if you look hard and don't mind possibly driving outside of your local area. Dealers, of course, get a large markup to stay in business, so the best deals can be found from private sellers. Also, non-Yamaha dealers will normally sell for less than Yamaha dealers. A local Harley dealer has a 2007 Midnight Venture, loaded with options, 11k miles, for $10,999. The Yamaha dealer 20 miles away has a 2006 Black Cherry Venture, no options whatsoever, 24k miles, for $11,999. There are Ventures on Craigslist and eBay for significantly less than both of those prices.

If I knew then what I know now... I would have bought an older RSV with low miles. They only changed colors over the years and if you buy newer just for the 5 year warranty, you probably would never use it.

I like my '07 but I would rather spent the money on accessories rather than a newer bike.

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks guys! No wonder I couldn't find the info on changes anywhere....there weren't any! It's definitely nice to have a wider range of years to look at. For the most part I guess 'if it ain't broke...'applies. I realized that the model might be a little resistant to change when I flipped open the stereo door and saw a cassette deck...might as well have an 8-track!

The Venture looks like a fantastic bike though, I can't wait. Before the V-star I had a Valkyrie and I'm looking fwd to getting back on a big bike. The V-star is cool for running down to Dairy Queen and local riding. I put almost 2K on it last week running up to GA. It made me remember how great it felt to be on the road, but that bike just doesn't cut it for that type of riding, and it definitely wouldn't cut it if the wife was along.

Ride on! :322: