IGNORED

Brake Shims?

pick

Getting the bikes ready for the ride to Daytona. We replaced Redbeards 99 RSV front pads. When we took off the old pads, both copper/brass shims were mising from both sides? Did this shim come on a 99? I know I have them on my 2001. What purpose do the shims serve? We simply replaced the pads, leaving out the shim, but what effect does this have on the brakes? :think:

I am pretty sure they are supposed to help by distributing the applied force of the calipers evenly across the back side of the calipers. This also should cut down on some of the noise that one may hear.

Now I've installed my pads with and without those goofy things (that run ~$20 a piece; if I remember correctly) and I did not notice a difference...

It is the same part for all of the bikes (99-2010) and somewhere in between 2001 and 2009 they changed the part number.

Hope this helps :)

I suspect they are to help keep the front brakes quite. They have a tendency to squeal. Put some brake pad lube (any auto parts store) on the back - only on the back - to eliminate the squeal and the need for the shims.

Or, just don't worry about the squealing. It doesn't hurt anything.

RR

ok,l all, thanks for the reassurance, I don't feel bad about them not being there . Bike seems to stop ok, no noise, but hes now only got about 100 miles or so on the new pads. Mine did have the shims, cleaned them up but wonder how they would stop the squeel????/ Anyways, off to go rebuild my calipers, my parts just came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!