IGNORED

Intercom Head Sets Which One?

Whitlow

So I am going to order a headset for my 03 RSV I see the J&M and IMC. The IMC is a cheaper unit is this one of those you get what you pay for? Cheaper is not the way to go? Is this headset a good one? JM-HS-8154B-OF

Thanks.

Edited by Whitlow

So I am going to order a headset for my 03 RSV I see the J&M and IMC. The IMC is a cheaper unit is this one of those you get what you pay for? Cheaper is not the way to go? Is this headset a good one? JM-HS-8154B-OF

Thanks.

That J&M is what I use. I put one in my helmet and the helmet that whoever rides with me (and fits in an XL) uses... I've logged over 5,000 miles with my g/f using these and they worked GREAT. I found mine for ~$75 each, including shipping.

NOTE: I only use them for communication, and I tried the radio feature through it a handful of times, just to check to make sure things were working so I cannot comment on the music aspect of the audio quality but voice come through loud and clear. It was well worth the money I spent on them (well... sometimes I wish I didn't have them so I didn't have to hear her talk so much... but that is a different story :rasberry: )

I decided to go with the slightly more expensive ones based on reviews and the thought of 'if I buy the cheap ones and am disappointing, I'd either have to deal with the frustration of crappy headsets or spend money on the slightly more expensive ones anyway - so I fronted the money for the slightly more just so I didn't get stuck in that predicament).

I've also been cought in the rain a few times and the headsets still work fine.

So how do these work? Do you just pull the talk switch on the handlebar when you want to talk? And when the other person talks you just hear it?

I'm new to these. How about wind noise is it bad?

Thanks

The intercom is always live, unless you have the mic-mutes installed (which I do not, so I cannot help you there).

It is plug in and talk; that simple. You just turn the IC volume up and talk and it is just an open line between driver and passenger. The talk button is for the CB.

I have an 01 but I recently replaced my radio with one that was 're manufactured' and has a date stamp of 2007. I heard absolutely no excess noise when I plugged in due to the live mic; but on my new unit I do have a little background noise that is a little bit annoying. So depending on your unit, you may want to look into the mic-mutes too... but that can be done down the road :)

Summary:

01 radio = No wind noise what-so-ever; with IC set somewhere between 10 and 15

07 radio = some noise, I don't know if it is wind or not but volume set in same range.

Your mileage may vary, and others will weigh in too I'm sure.

I saw a button on the rear speaker that said talk and another for adjusting volume. Dose the passenger have to push this to talk or is it fro the CB also?

Thanks

That reminds me... and not meanin to hijack this but there's also a volume control for the passenger but it doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound coming out of the speakers ... is it only for headset communication or what?

I saw a button on the rear speaker that said talk and another for adjusting volume. Dose the passenger have to push this to talk or is it fro the CB also?

Thanks

The "Talk" button on the passenger arm rest works the same way the 'talk' button does for the driver; that is, it opens the mic for CB communication.

All the passenger has to do to communicate (verbally anyways) with the driver is start yapping... Or whatever it may be :yikes::duck:

That reminds me... and not meanin to hijack this but there's also a volume control for the passenger but it doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound coming out of the speakers ... is it only for headset communication or what?

The volume control on the passenger arm rest only controls the volume of the passenger's headset speakers. Which means they can turn you down/off but can still talk if they choose to.

Just got my bike set up for Bluetooth wireless system. Now I don't have to get tangled anymore and actually gain better individual volume control. I am using the Chatterbox Xbi-2 system which allows linking up to 3 units up to 500 yard away along with a bluetooth dongle which I have plugged into the intercom system using an adapter that I found at Aerostich. Works great even if it's pricey!

Scooter