Tnventurer

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck on your project. I had a VW trike back in the early 70's myself. Awesome machine. Had a 1 piece body with a Harley front end on it. Need any help or suggestions doing the build let me know. I'll be glad to lend what knowledge I have on them

Larry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/21651/VWTrike-mail.jpg?t=1191505961

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, had forgotten about it. I just went out and looked and it seems that I don't have much of anything. I thought I had a couple but must have sold them. The only thing I have left are the front forks from an '83 Venture. I don't think it will do you any good though because I gave away the triple tree off it.

Guest Provoker

Hello Fred:

I used a Norton 650 frame, and installed the VW engine so the VW wheels were roughly where the Norton back wheel was. It looked good but the first time I let out the clutch, I put the front wheel over my head. Friends still kid me about driving it up the garage wall...LOL

I installed the car battery as far forward as I could, but it made no difference. I sold it without ever getting in on the road because I couldn't let the clutch out slow enough to keep the wheel on the ground.

At that time there was an automobile racing formula called formula V, which was open wheeled VW powered cars. Every formula V car had the engine/transmission turned around so that they were mid engine rather than read engine, and I figured this would be an ideal configuration for a trike. The problem was that only VW transmissions from 1960 and earlier were capable of having the crown gear mounted on the other side of the pinion, which is necessary so you wouldn't end up with 4 speeds in reverse, and one in forward.

I couldn't find the right vintage of VW, and gave up on making a second VW trike.

OK , Thank you all, I have been taken care of by Mongo! Drove down to Cleveland Tn today and met and visited with Steve and he Hooked me up! Got everything I need and more!. Saw his operation for making the grill covers,and they are quality stuff, and he really provides a good quality product. He knows his stuff! If I ever am able to get a second gen It'll be the first thing I get for mine!Just wanted to give out a great big THANK YOU for all the stuff Steve just gave me ! Thank Steve ! We don't live that far apart, so well hook up and ride!......Fred :thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon::clap2::guitarist 2: