IGNORED

Passing Light hollow bolt

Yep. First drop of my 97 Royal Star. Cager pulled out in front of me at a 4-way stop just as I started. I stopped (thank God) in time but dumped the Bike over as I avoided her. No real damage except to my pride and the right side passing lamp and turn signal. Have the replacement lamp and signal located but I'll be @#$% if I can find anyone who sells the (10mm I think) hollow bolt that connects the passing lamp to the turn signal mount. Anyone have any ideas? Help!

Michael Gardner

97 Royal Star

Wow, sorry to hear that happen, especially to a red and white one. Does Y sell those bolts separately? I don't know. I had to replace mine once too and figured they'd want too much. I didn't even ask. I got a regular metric bolt of the right thread and drilled a hole through it. Some metal has to be carved out of the inside of the lamp housing to clear the bolt head. I don't know if you're handy with tools. If you are, it's easy.

Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about your bolt. :no-no-no: I got a little busy last night, one of those minor emergency things at the house (gotta keep the warden happy!) I have written my self a note to dig through the toolbox and look for that bolt this afternoon.

Dave

Iquester,

Man, I looked all over the garage, tore through both toolboxes, checked my pockets, I searched evry where and cannot find those*&%$#ing bolts. :bang head: I'm sorry I got you all amped up and not have the dang things.

My bet is, I'll run across them in a couple of months looking for something else. Hopefully you can still get them at the dealership.

My apologies.

Dave

Hey man. Thanks for looking. Dealer was not helpful as there seems to be no separate part number for just the bolt. All they have is the $$$ complete mounting kit with bar, bolts and adjusting washers and turn signal mounts. This sucks. All for the want of a little hollow allen head 10mm hollow bolt. Unbelievable.

If any one else out there has one of these or knows where I can get one, give me a shout.

M Gardner

Hey Dr. Gardner,

I have been following this thread in hopes that someone would have a spare bolt for you.

With that being said, If you would be so kind as to send me a PM with the Diameter of the bolt, the thread pitch, and length of thread, I would be happy to make as many as you need and send them to you. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hi Doc,

Here are a couple of pics of the bolts

10mm standard thread, stamped 8.8 on head

Cap head bolt with hex key (allen head) fitment

A standard hex head shouldered bolt would work fine too as long as it is drilled out.

Hole is about 8mm, enough for a couple (four) wires to pass through.

1.170 threaded portion

1.568 overall length

Neither of these needs to be exact

PM me your address if you need me to send the bolt as I have it out. Thanks for your willingness to make a couple for me. How about 4 if I happen to drop it again, don't intend to, but you never know. You officially rock!

Mike Gardner

Hey Mike,

I just need one more measurement and that is the pitch of the threads. (number of threads per MM) Most any hardware store will have a board with row after row of female threads in it and you just keep trying the bolt in them until it screws in. Note what the pitch is and we are good to go. 4 will be no problem. That pitch number is going to be 1.0MM, 1.25MM or 1.75MM .

Option "B" is send me the bolt. Either way, I'm ready to help. :thumbsup2:

Earl

VR's rock. Got these today from Earl (SkyDoc) and they are perfect, stronger than OEM and with a hex head so I can really tighen them down withour worrying bout wires.

Thanks Earl, you rock.

Another member helped out. So kind. Thanks SkyDoc for showing the world what the word generious, kind, or just being a good human being is what it,s all about. I really enjoyed reading and following this thread, made my day.

James

Hey James,

Thanks for the kind words. Being a First Gen. owner, if it wasn't for the help and kindness of the members of this site, my bike could very well not be running today. I try to pay it forward every chance I get. The world would be a much better place if we would all get along together as well as we do on this site. Knowing that Mike can now ride his scoot with his lighting fully functional is my reward.

Earl

• 2 years later...

I have the exact same problem as iquester had with the hollow bolt that screws into the turn signal from the passing light bucket. Had to do a roadside temporary repair while on a trip.

Have searched, but have not found a commercial source for these. Does anyone know a source or part number?

Hey Mike,

I just need one more measurement and that is the pitch of the threads. (number of threads per MM) Most any hardware store will have a board with row after row of female threads in it and you just keep trying the bolt in them until it screws in. Note what the pitch is and we are good to go. 4 will be no problem. That pitch number is going to be 1.0MM, 1.25MM or 1.75MM .

Option "B" is send me the bolt. Either way, I'm ready to help. :thumbsup2:

Earl

People on this board absolutely ROCK.