IGNORED

spark plugs and gap

I use Autolite #4163. because they are cheap and a good plug. I change them pretty often and gap them about 32. I just figure if I'm in there and they are only about $1.50 each I just change them if they look off color any at all. Cheap maint. Change your wires yet? They are 10 yrs old.

recommendations on the wires?

Pre-made set on E-Bay goes for about 35 bucks. Already got correct caps and ready to go. If you use them I take a sharp knife and cut a X across the face of the wire that goes into the coil. About 1/16 th inch deep. Helps the wire seat onto the spike in there so I was told by a old guy that knows more than I will ever know about these things.

I don't have the # for that wire set but it is on there pretty often. Anybody got it??

Found it!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Yellow-XVZ1200_W0QQitemZ390093048579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad35b8b03&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Pre-made set on E-Bay goes for about 35 bucks. Already got correct caps and ready to go. If you use them I take a sharp knife and cut a X across the face of the wire that goes into the coil. About 1/16 th inch deep. Helps the wire seat onto the spike in there so I was told by a old guy that knows more than I will ever know about these things.

I don't have the # for that wire set but it is on there pretty often. Anybody got it??

Found it!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Yellow-XVZ1200_W0QQitemZ390093048579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad35b8b03&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Nice if he had a 1st Gen.. ;)

Speaking of spark plugs and GAP.. the book states a MAX - MIN gap, is it usually better to have a bigger or smaller gap within that range?

I have purchased a few sets of wires from this Ebay supplier and if you email him he will create a set just for your Second Gen. but either the First Gen. Set or the VMAX set will work just fine. Now, about that spark plug gap, In theory, the gap should get larger as time go on, with the heat of the engine and the current flow. With that being said I have heard a few schools of thought on this subject, One is gap them "tight" to give the longest period before re-gap or replacement ( but with a tight gap you get less spark) The other school of thought is to gap them big for the largest amount of spark. I split the tolerance and gap them in the middle myself. ( old machinist habit) That way you get decent spark and decent plug life. This is one of those "Personal decisions" things, the bike should function anywhere in the plug gap range.

Earl

I have purchased a few sets of wires from this Ebay supplier and if you email him he will create a set just for your Second Gen. but either the First Gen. Set or the VMAX set will work just fine. Now, about that spark plug gap, In theory, the gap should get larger as time go on, with the heat of the engine and the current flow. With that being said I have heard a few schools of thought on this subject, One is gap them "tight" to give the longest period before re-gap or replacement ( but with a tight gap you get less spark) The other school of thought is to gap them big for the largest amount of spark. I split the tolerance and gap them in the middle myself. ( old machinist habit) That way you get decent spark and decent plug life. This is one of those "Personal decisions" things, the bike should function anywhere in the plug gap range.

Earl

OH! (red faced) lol.. I just got schooled =)

That's what I normally do with the spark gap, split the middle but for no apparent reason other than blind luck I guess.. So far so good, every time I change my plugs, the old ones look like new.. but they are inexpensive enough to warrant changing them when ever possible.. but that's just me...

Thanks for the schooling on both matters hehe

how hard is it to change the wires and plugs?????

I've never done the wires, seems simple enough though waiting to hear from the experienced guys on this one..

As for the spark plug on a 2nd Gen, it looks complicated but it's not really..

Remove the tank, front engine side braces and the plugs come out easily.. I take one brace off at a time and retorque it upon installation before undoing the opposite side one, out of force of habit from previous mech career.. first time might seem 'daunting' but once you do your first one, it's all easy after that..

The tank?? That sounds difficult by itself.

egads man.. if *I* can do it, trust me YOU can do it.

See if you can search up a RSV manual online or at a local shop and read up.. some of it does appear to be intimidating at first but once you've done some tasks, you'll ask yourself afterwards why you were so shy about it at first..

And you have all kinds of wonderful people here who are more than happy to help you out if you encounter any probs..

Cheers

i thought us second geners could not change the wires like you first geners. have i missed something somewhere?

don c.

No, you have not missed anything, but the others in this thread have! You cannot change the wires on a 2nd gen unless you have a device to splice them together after you cut the old wires off near the coil. I wouldn't even consider that unless a moisture test at night showed a corona or outright arcing from the existing wires.

Goose

No, you have not missed anything, but the others in this thread have! You cannot change the wires on a 2nd gen unless you have a device to splice them together after you cut the old wires off near the coil. I wouldn't even consider that unless a moisture test at night showed a corona or outright arcing from the existing wires.

Goose

Hi Goose, I never got the chance to see the new / old coils when they changed them out in PA this past summer so this might sound like a silly question:

Are you saying that the ignition wires from the spark plug to the coils are built into the coil, not a plug in or bolt onto type of deal like say a V-Star?

Never thought of that..

Always an education around here, thanks!!

• 3 months later...

What all has to be removed on a first gen to change plugs and wires? I just want to ensure that I am not going to do more work than I have to. I dont want to spend alot of time pulling parts and taking things apart, only to find that I did not have to do so much. Any help is welcomed Also, if anybody has a photo progression of this, please let me know.

Thanks alot!!!

What all has to be removed on a first gen to change plugs and wires? I just want to ensure that I am not going to do more work than I have to. I don't want to spend alot of time pulling parts and taking things apart, only to find that I did not have to do so much. Any help is welcomed Also, if anybody has a photo progression of this, please let me know.

I am not a wrench but I can share my experience with you. Others may have better advice. I found that with the right tools, all you need to do is remove the side cover. Personally, I would also use compressed air to clean out the wells before removing the plugs so nothing falls into the cylinder. I use a a combo of extensions and possible a flex joint with my 3/8 drive to allow me to reach and remove/install the plugs. I found that with the right length extension and some flexibility, I can easily do the job with only my side covers removed.