IGNORED

Drilling Stock Mufflers

A picture might be worth 1,000 words.. but is this correct on how you guys are modifying your pipes for a slightly louder 'throatier' sound?

I'm not sure if this is the correct way but I included a photo that shows how I think this is supposed to be done? Is this correct?

One photo shows in red where the pipe is cut from through the exhaust pipe to separate it from the rear cone, and the yellow basically shows how you move that cut pipe out of the way to 'open' it up? Is this how it's supposed to be done?

Other photo shows the pre cut exhaust flow before the cut mod in yellow and the post cut mod in red, basically in a straight line..

Is this the correct way?

(yeah I know, some of you guys shaking your head wondering why some aren't seeing it as clearly as you are but I received a few emails from others to shy to ask in public.. What do I have to lose asking for them as well lol.. nuttin.)

Cheers

44919.jpg 44918.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Alright, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't figure out how to get to that pipe to cut it. I have the rear portion of the exhaust removed, but how do I get inside to cut that pipe? What am I missing, and what is going to be required to put the exhaust back together once I get that pipe removed?

Alright, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't figure out how to get to that pipe to cut it. I have the rear portion of the exhaust removed, but how do I get inside to cut that pipe? What am I missing, and what is going to be required to put the exhaust back together once I get that pipe removed?

Ok so it wasn't JUST me then lol..

My take on the whole thing is that if you take a dremel or rotary tool and put a cutting disc on it, stick it in the exhaust pipe and start cutting the inside of the exhaust pipe proper, you can then force the inner part of the cut pipes aside so that now the exhaust flow will look more like the red line on the photo I previously provided..

(stick your finger inside the exhaust pipe as if to block the exhaust flow.. it's that pipe you have to cut and separate.)

I haven't tried this one yet.. I'm waiting for another cheap / inexpensive set of RK pipes to become available before giving it a try..

Bit the bullet today. I cut my stock RSV mufflers :yikes:

It took a whole two hours start to finish. It also took 20 little 1 inch Dremel cut off wheels.

I was scared as hell!

But I tell ya, it's day and night. I love the new sound.

So sweet.. so tell me, did the diagrams I did up sorta show the same way you did it then?

Are the Road King pipes the same internals as the RSV?

Bit the bullet today. I cut my stock RSV mufflers :yikes:

It took a whole two hours start to finish. It also took 20 little 1 inch Dremel cut off wheels.

I was scared as hell!

But I tell ya, it's day and night. I love the new sound. :thumbsup:

Did you use the reinforced cutting wheels or the regular ones? I'd think that it wouldn't take 20 if you used the reinforced ones.

Did you use the reinforced cutting wheels or the regular ones? I'd think that it wouldn't take 20 if you used the reinforced ones.

Local hardware store only had the "Grey cap" heavy duty wheels... I think the "heavy duty" specification was a bit pessimistic.:doh:

They were about a hard as an egg shell.

Local hardware store only had the "Grey cap" heavy duty wheels... I think the "heavy duty" specification was a bit pessimistic.:doh:

They were about a hard as an egg shell.

What color? The red/brick colored ones are exactly like you say... Egg Shells. I've got some black reinforced ones from HD that seem to take abuse very well. Surprised me after using the red/brick colored ones.

The thicker wheels seemed to break worst that the thin one's.

If anyone is having problems with this mod, please call me on the phone, I have been able to help a couple of members with it over the phone, anyone that lives near me I will be glad to help do the mod if you will come to my house.

Gregg

Hate to beat a dead horse .. no really...

but just to clarify..

There is a lot of suggestions in several threads about ripping the cone out, then drilling holes to mod the stock pipes.. maybe that is for 1st Gen?

This pic attached is the end of my pipes on 07 RSTD and I am thinking that is not the way to go on these.

I want to be able to bolt the tip back on the pipe, so I cannot loose the cone where the threaded holes are.

So, likely the method Footsie recommends cutting the pipe up in the tube and pushing aside is the way to go for 2nd Gen ?

Will the cone on the end still be intact so tip can be bolted back on?

Thanks!

45383.jpg

Edited by Freebird

attachment.php?attachmentid=44918&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1273520139

I did this to mine this week. I love the sound. I had RK pipes so my stock pipes were just sitting around collecting dust so I said "what the heck". One of the best mods I've made. I will keep the stock pipes with tips. They look and sound better.:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...
Guest rah33

Well hello everybody, This is my first of many posts. I've been lurkin here for a long time but when I followed the advice on this thread I just had to get off the sidelines. I made this mod to my 07 RSTD and I have to tell you. You guys saved me some bucks!!!! I was prepared to buy new pipes but took a chance and I love it. I'll post pictures on the inside of the pipes soon. Love the site and ride safe!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I finally drilled 4- 3/8" holes in cone tonight and really like the sound. I went thru 3 sets of harley muffs never liking the way they sounded. they would either sound good at idle and crappy at speed or visa versa. took 20 min. to drill both muffs and i do like the way they sound and letting off the gas they sound like an old flathead ford, gotta love it....

Alright I started to cut the pipes tonight with the Dremal tool. When I cut the first pipe it seemed that all I cut was a sleeve inside the pipe. Do I cut the pipe over the sleeve also. You can push back the sleeve in the pipe, but I can't push the pipe to the side. Did the rest of you notice a sleeve or double wall pipe ? 02 RSV :scratchchin:

This thread is cracking me up. Us humans are so funny about looking or sounding dumb, even to folks we've never met!

On that note, my turn!

I currently have about 5 holes, 3/8" in diameter in the cone of my mufflers, really improved the sound.

If I also cut the inner pipe, will I notice much difference/improvement in sound?

Or, should I not have drilled holes and cut pipe simultaneously?