IGNORED

Drilling Stock Mufflers

So how many haw drilled there stock mufflers to get a louder sound? How many holes? What size? ans where did you drill. The Sampson Fishtails are just a bit to loud but i could deal with it if I need too.

Inlet side baffle. three (3) 1/2" diameter holes. it was loud enough for me!:missingtooth:

• 4 weeks later...

The way on the second gen, take a dremal tool with a cut off wheel, go up the output in of the muffler approx 1 1/2 inch and cut the tube all the way around, then push the tube to the side, that's it. sounds great and you can't tell the exhaust has been modified.

Gregg

If you look in the outlet end of your stock muffler, you will see a tube that runs the lenght of the muffler, these are a reverse flow type muffler, meaning the exhaust gases flow from the input to the back and then back to the frount and back again to be expelled. This is how the exhaust is muffled, there is no plate in the muffler full of holes to muffle the sound, the back and forth flow does it. So if you cut the tube approx 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches up the outlet end, and prize it over to one side, the muffler becomes straight through flow, with some backpressure formed by the part of the tube that is remains attached to the rear cone.

I have done this to my 2000 and my 2004, it gives a good sound under hard accelleration, and has enough back pressure to prevent the popping. Running down the highway it quiets down, I don't even notice the sound at highway speed.

But sounds great running at 55 and around town, but not loud enough to be noticed by Law enforcement.

If you look at the mufflers you can't tell that they have been modified, in daytona I have seen Law enforcement stick a billy stick up the end of the muffler to see if the baffle is there, it won't go in.

I will try to draw a diagram and post it.

You need a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to do this mod, it takes several wheels because they break easily.

To me it sound better than the road king mufflers.

I am willing to help.

Gregg

Gregg

Edited by footsie

You can see in the pics the reverse flow design, the exhaust gases flow to the back, pass back forward through the short tube then flow back out toward the outlet.

If you cut the outlet tube into, and push it aside, you can look straight through the muffler. Well not perfectly straight, but you can see through it.

The deeper you make the cut the more back pressure you keep, quieter.

I have mine cut about 1 1/4 inch from the outlet.

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David

Look at the third picture in the post above, toward the right side is the out end of the muffler, you see the tube going into the cone at the very end of the muffler, that is what you are to cut into with the dremel about 1 inch past the cone up in the muffler, once cut it will easily prize over to one side and open up the muffler.

Gregg

Great, I thought you would like it, I have really enjoyed mine, I have never been one that liked loud bikes, but I do like some sound.

You do not get this sound drilling holes in them.

This way you can not tell by looking, that you did anything to the mufflers.

Gregg

Edited by footsie

• 5 months later...
Anyone?

From all the various muffler mod and swap posts I've read, it's rare to find one where someone has had to rejet.

I have the Road Kings on mine with all the baffles drilled out (basically a straight-thru, unobstructed flow) and I don't need rejetting... at least I don't think I do... maybe the scoot does tho LOL

You may want to do a re-sync tho.

Guest scarylarry
David

Look at the third picture in the post above, toward the right side is the out end of the muffler, you see the tube going into the cone at the very end of the muffler, that is what you are to cut into with the dremel about 1 inch past the cone up in the muffler, once cut it will easily prize over to one side and open up the muffler.

Gregg

Question why not use a hole saw ab that size and pull the pipe out instead of moving it to the side....

I used a hole saw on mine and it worked fine. You have to wiggle the pipe to break the spot weld on the other end. I hit it in with a hammer and wiggled/twisted it and it came right out on mine. Rod