IGNORED

almost 30 bikers down... Sheesh

LilBeaver

These M/C's pride themselves on a tight formation, but that is bad when things like this happen. A staggered formation with at least 2 second intervals would have cut down on the accident, or maybe prevented it.

But anytime you get over 15 or so bikes, you run the risk of a real problem with a sudden stop or slow down.

... anytime you get over 15 or so bikes, you run the risk of a real problem with a sudden stop or slow down.

:sign yeah that:

THIS is why I alway feel uncomfortable riding in any bike rallies or charity runs, etc...

I do a couple of them a year, but always stretch out the pack, trying to stay the #%$#$ away from people I don't know. I hate it when someone wants to ride along side me.

When we ride with friends, we always stretch out several car lengths between us. We meet at intersections only, just to check if everything is alright, potty breaks, butt breaks, gas, etc...

craigr

It is a PITA riding in a group, I have lead MANY rides and have had up to 30 bikes behind me. It can be challenging to say the least to make decisions for all the bikes. I like the idea of spreading the bikes out, but here in Michigan if you give a car enough room to squeeze into the pack they will try to do it, and that is a recipe for disaster.

The details are fairly vague, but I know that I have seen clubs (do not read biker gangs) keep tight formations and ride side by side. I have ridden beside folks that I know and am confident of their abilities, but I still pay extra close attention. No matter who they are, I know how not fun crashing on a bike is, I hope they all recover.

Fate, never passes up a chance to show me how fragile my people and I are. Its makes no sense to ride side by side or bunched up tight...to me. I can understand the cage thing thou, but you dont have too be up real close to fend them off most times. I use the staggerd 2 sec rule, and pull up side by side at the light etc if I need to chat. I'm sure it's doable by advanced riders, but out on the road there are just too many X factors. My goal is to eliminate all X factors from my ride. LOL I do my best. Oh and I feel for the guys that crashed, they have familys too. Sounds like a couple got hurt bad. Hope they make it fully back.

I saw that same formation while traveling across Nevada to Cody. I had a group of 7 V-Twin riders... probably all Harleys but not sure... that were runing at 75mph and they were so tight they squeeked. Side by side with less than 10' spacing, and the single drag was runing about 5'. My thought at the time was these guys are asking for it. If the one in front hic-cupped they would all have been in deep doo-doo. I suspect the same thing contributed to the accident on I-5. That's why I get upset with the request to tighten up a group ride. At that speed as far as I'm concerned they can spread out as much as they want....

I wonder why the SUV decided to make the sudden stop? Makes me think maybe he might have been trying to cause trouble. Either way, if your following close enough for that to happen, your too close. Here in WI. if it happened like that, it would be your fault even if the SUV was trying to be a jerk.

This make me feel pretty fortunate that I have had no close calls at all this year with any cagers. So far this year I've put on about 8000 miles and no close calls... I'm good with that. Last year I lost count of all the jerks. I wonder why the change from last year. I hope the trend keeps going that way.