IGNORED

Need Help in Butte Montana

StuD

Heading to "Cody Round UP" Outside of Butte the 85VR s engine cuts out, becuse its rolling down hill it sputters backfires as throttle is applied. Dash lites go out, rolling down the hill to catch up to lead rider coast for about a 2 miles, when the bike stops the head lite is very dim & goes out when ignition is turned. Left Vancouver with new battery, bike has run great all the way till now. Got towed to Best Westeren In Butte, No MC shops open Sun/Mon. Help or ideas are needed........... :canada::canada::canada:

Sorry to hear of the problems with the bike, I will be of little help, but the first gen guys should be waking up in a little bit and should be able to get you some help. I hope its nothing major and you can get back on the road today, you may need to give Squidly or some one a phone call (after the sun comes up) I know they are close to you but he has walked me through alot of things over the phone...

Good luck and best wishes..

K

Ok take a deep breath and start at the beginning.

Get a cheap voltmeter and a small battery charger. Something like 3 amps. Start charging battery.

Check main fuse in funky holder to left of battery. It has a fuse link between screws.

In the fuse holder there is a slot that may have replacements. If not I have seen them in a rack at Autozone, some cars had them.

Check glass fuses and holder clips. Might be brittle and bad spring tension or broken.

You can cut the wires on the clips and get an ATC fuse holder with pigtails and splice in.

Look for signs of water under airbox indicating possible wet ignition box. This doesn't sound like ignition. Most electronic ignition needs over 9vdc to fire at all. Sounds like low voltage to me.

Remove LH side cover and check connectors between regulator and stator. Regulator is mounted on back side of frame behind passenger foot peg mount. Connector may be melted from loose connection. Connectors are about 2-3 inches below side of seat on a long pigtail running up vertical frame strut.

Check regulator output. 13.5 or better at 2000 rpm.

Charge battery good, Pull headlight and unplug. Stop and charge frequently.

Once you get to Cody, we can get parts to you for repair as needed. I have a good regulator from an 86 that I just checked out. I think I have a stator cover gasket. There are a few folks with good stators stashed.

If plug on pigtail is melted, get wire splices and hard wire. I suggest Posi-Lock connectors. I think Autozone or Advanced Auto may have them. They don't need crimp pliers and hold great.

Voltmeter can be used to check stator output once battery is charged enough to start bike. You are looking for about 20 volts AC across the input wires from the stator. (Not to ground) There are 3 large wires. Disconnect stator or back probe connector.

Check ignition switch and make sure it turns ok. Check kill switch and give it a squirt of light lube and work it. Same for high beam switch. I doubt these items but check them anyway. Possible stuck contacts. Should not give symptoms you described.

My cell number is in my profile.

JB

I don`t know...:confused24: But I`m sticking with JB on this one.....:confused07:

Ok take a deep breath and start at the beginning.

Get a cheap voltmeter and a small battery charger. Something like 3 amps. Start charging battery.

Check main fuse in funky holder to left of battery. It has a fuse link between screws.

In the fuse holder there is a slot that may have replacements. If not I have seen them in a rack at Autozone, some cars had them.

Check glass fuses and holder clips. Might be brittle and bad spring tension or broken.

You can cut the wires on the clips and get an ATC fuse holder with pigtails and splice in.

Look for signs of water under airbox indicating possible wet ignition box. This doesn't sound like ignition. Most electronic ignition needs over 9vdc to fire at all. Sounds like low voltage to me.

Remove LH side cover and check connectors between regulator and stator. Regulator is mounted on back side of frame behind passenger foot peg mount. Connector may be melted from loose connection. Connectors are about 2-3 inches below side of seat on a long pigtail running up vertical frame strut.

Check regulator output. 13.5 or better at 2000 rpm.

Charge battery good, Pull headlight and unplug. Stop and charge frequently.

Once you get to Cody, we can get parts to you for repair as needed. I have a good regulator from an 86 that I just checked out. I think I have a stator cover gasket. There are a few folks with good stators stashed.

If plug on pigtail is melted, get wire splices and hard wire. I suggest Posi-Lock connectors. I think Autozone or Advanced Auto may have them. They don't need crimp pliers and hold great.

Voltmeter can be used to check stator output once battery is charged enough to start bike. You are looking for about 20 volts AC across the input wires from the stator. (Not to ground) There are 3 large wires. Disconnect stator or back probe connector.

Check ignition switch and make sure it turns ok. Check kill switch and give it a squirt of light lube and work it. Same for high beam switch. I doubt these items but check them anyway. Possible stuck contacts. Should not give symptoms you described.

My cell number is in my profile.

JB

Got towed to Best Westeren In Butte, No MC shops open Sun/Mon. Help or ideas are needed........... :canada::canada::canada:

Ok StuD, looks like a truck & trailer will be coming up to you from Cody. As I just woke Condor to notify him of the problem. Good thing to have a trailer available, for these meets.

Will need your cell #...............

From what you describe, either your new battery is bad (which sometimes happens) or either your stator or voltage regulator took a dump. It also could be something as simple as the battery terminal wasn't tightened enough. What was the reason for the new battery?? Maybe the old one wasn't as bad as you thought...

Ok StuD, looks like a truck & trailer will be coming up to you from Cody. As I just woke Condor to notify him of the problem. Good thing to have a trailer available, for these meets.

Will need your cell #...............

Good to hear from ya.......... Cell # 360 221 3043 Thanks :canada:

Swapped battery from other bike.

Started but only showing 8-10 volts charging on the meter on dash

Had battery checked & OK needs to be charged (charging now)

Eliminated famous rectifer (3white wires) plug.

How do I determen if its rectifier or stator??????

Once I determin that, dose anyone have iether for sale?????????? Thanks :canada::canada:

Swapped battery from other bike.

Started but only showing 8-10 volts charging on the meter on dash

Had battery checked & OK needs to be charged (charging now)

Stu, I thought of something while having lunch (while we were waiting a call with update). If you got a pair of light jumper cables, you can run the both bikes down here, by alternating the batterys in the bikes. Depleting one in the problem bike & charging the other in the good bike. That could be a "limp in method", use the jumper cables to start the bike with the depleted battery......

As for testing a multimeter is needed, I have one with me.

I spoke with Condor, if you can do the "limp in method" partway along the route previously discussed, we can meet up on I-94. Also we can not contact you by phone, so you call Condor.......

Jack just called & switch batterys every 100 miles, as to not completly deplete the battery & the trip can be made all the way in.

Edited by Rocket
Added info

Let us know when they get there. I'm sure most of us would like to know.

Margaret

Current plan is they will overnight in Butte & use the limp in method tomorrow. They pulled the rectifer / regulator & tried it in the other bike (it worked), so that leaves the stator. StuD will try to get one OVERNIGHTED over to the motel. Seeing it is Sunday today, that means Tues at the earliest, that one will show up.

Too bad that I mailed my old one to Buckeye, earlier this week (from PIP location), as that one only had a partial failure & would have kept him running for the longer trips. As I was able to make it from Nelson BC back to Wainwright AB, with that failure & it was a 2 day ride.......

Having trouble with wifi. Hope to leave at 7am. Ordered on line a stator from Buckeye have not had confermation if he can overnight it to Cody. Paul if you could phone Rick Mon.am & confirm overnight delivery.as I will be on road. :canada::canada::canada::canada:

Having trouble with wifi. Hope to leave at 7am. Ordered on line a stator from Buckeye have not had confermation if he can overnight it to Cody. Paul if you could phone Rick Mon.am & confirm overnight delivery.as I will be on road. :canada::canada::canada::canada:

Ok will do.

I was gonna ask how the limp (ing) guys were doing but thought better of it.....LOL

Brian

Actually I am wondering how they are doing. ....seriously.......:smile5:

They are here & we are working on getting a stator for the scoot. Buckeye doesn't have any cores re-wound & that will take 2 weeks, to be done.

They are here & we are working on getting a stator for the scoot. Buckeye doesn't have any cores re-wound & that will take 2 weeks, to be done.

Dennis Kirk had 3 of Rick's Motorsports Electrics stators in stock & we are getting 2 of them shipped in overnight. We will have them this morning by the sounds of it. I am also getting 2 sets of gaskets overnighted in, as well, from the local dealer. So both bikes should be done by mid afternoon.

:fingers-crossed-emo

We needed a stator for Marvins bike (StuD's sidekick) & one for Grandpagaks as well (so much for putting that one off, with his spare battery in the trunk trick).