IGNORED

Tweaked Rear Tire: An Opinion or 2 Please!

fredster66

Dumped my RSTD back in August while riding through Glacier over very bumpy twisties. Landed in a mud puddle at about 30-35 mph. What a splash. Both of us were okay enough to finish the trip (4 days riding with 2 broken ribs).

After getting her home and taking her down, I noticed this tweak. (plz see my What is Tweaked gallery)

Is it

A) Swingarm

B) Frame

C) My imagination

D) None of the above

Thanks for looking!

PS Ibuprophen Rocks!

I'm with flb_78. If the swingarm was tweaked or any other running gear you would likely have noticed a handling problem like not being able to hold a straight line or crabbing down the road or some such. The frame and driveline are fairly well built compared to the brackets hanging the fender and bags.

Put a straight edge on them and find out if the rear wheel is aligned with the front wheel. Keep in mind the two are different widths so perhaps two straight edges would be easier to get a good check. Alternatively hire a pro to check them.

Well, it sure sems to track okay. But the fender just looks to be in line with the body. Maybe I should try one of those laser level thingies. Sure hope it's a relatively easy fix, 'cause the dealer just whacked me $2,300 for parts. $340 just for the left front engine guard. $289 for the right one. They want $1,700 for a gas tank. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, guys. It's been 5 weeks yesterday. Blasted ribs STILL hurt!

Edited by fredster66

Guest tx2sturgis

Looks to me like the fender struts and associated sheet metal and brackets are slightly bent to the left...(clutch side)...I'm guessing you landed it on the right side of the bike?

I think if there was any swingarm damage, you would either feel or hear the symptoms, and the bike would ride strange..either pulling to one side or crabbing....you can test this by getting the bike up to speed of about 50 or so, engage the cruise or throttle lock, and slowly let go of the grips, keeping your hands just above the grips. A VERY SLIGHT pull to one side is normal, but a hard pull to one side and the inability of the bike to track down the road on its own is a sign of misalignment.

Well, it sure sems to track okay. But the fender just looks to be in line with the body. Maybe I should try one of those laser level thingies. Sure hope it's a relatively easy fix, 'cause the dealer just whacked me $2,300 for parts. $340 just for the left front engine guard. $289 for the right one. They want $1,700 for a gas tank. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, guys. It's been 5 weeks yesterday. Blasted ribs STILL hurt!

Sounds like you need to contact pinwallcycles.com for parts. They salvage bikes and I have seen complete bikes with almost no miles salvaged. It would be a lot cheaper than any dealer at least. Gas tanks usually runn about $250.

My :2cents:

hi fred if you need a swing arm and i hope you don't. i have a spare new one , well almost new, suppose to just have a few hundred miles on it. came off a venture some place up on the north coast 2 years ago. some shop was doing a trike converison. i got the swingarm & the pumpkin for around $200. i was going to do that vmax / venture pumpkin upgrage but never have.

don c.