IGNORED

5 year warranty can't be beat!

wizard

My fuel pump got progressively worse on our ride to Sturgis, so I bypassed the pump to keep on the road. I knew there would be a few long distances between gas stations in a few areas, and was able to locate a pump from a crashed Royal Star. When we got back, I took the bad pump to the new Yamaha Dealer in Bakersfield. After explaining why I did not bring the bike in to have them diagnose the pump failure, Dennis said he would contact Yamaha and see if they would give me a new pump. Three days later, here I sit with a new one in my hand. A good shop, people who care, and a great warranty. I'm really liking Yamaha!!!

Speaking of warranty.... I had my clutch basket changed under warranty. The dealer said Yamaha would only do it once and if it didn't solve the whine, too bad...they would not do it again. I've come across more than one post where it was stated that Yamaha did the job several times until the right "match" was found. Is this correct? Who of you all have had your clutch basket changed out more than once and had Yamaha cover it in an attempt to reduce or eliminate the whine/chirp??

SilvrT, My dealer change mine out 5 times. and my warranty

was up by two months and Yamaha still covered it.

Some dealers will not do it more then once though.

They only get paid HALF there shop rate by Yamaha

from what my dealer told me.

Jeff

Kinda makes you wonder about the shop rate, don't it? Seems that Yamaha knows that the shop rates are too high, and will only pay what they think is fair. But, at least it gets taken care of in most cases! It seems only a few times that a dealership refuses to do the work, but, to tell the truth, I've only read about these cases. Nobody I know has ever had any issues with a dealership doing warranty work.

Let me get this straight. If you have this changed out it will get rid of the whine??? I guess I figured that was just a bike trait and was not a warranty isssue. Should I be concerned with this whine and have it repaired?????

Jeff

from the quality of some of the work I have seen dealer mechanics do to a bike, Half rate is twice of what they should get. The dealer here locally will butcher your bike.

Let me get this straight. If you have this changed out it will get rid of the whine??? I guess I figured that was just a bike trait and was not a warranty isssue. Should I be concerned with this whine and have it repaired?????

edger... there are literally TONs of posts about this subject....it's the biggest "bone of contention" there is with RSV owners. In a nutshell, if you have the clutch basket changed out to the " I " basket, there's no assurance that it will either reduce or eliminate the whine/chirp. I had mine changed...made no difference at all. Others had theirs changed, made a big difference. It's a "hit-and-miss" situation.

No, you need not be concerned about the whine...it is not a failure of components.

Thanks. I wasn't a bit concerned about it until I saw this thread. I have seen a lot of joking about it in other posts and such so just figured it was "nature of the beast". Then saw this and got a wee bit nervous. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Jeff... after changing it 5 times, has the whine been eliminated or at least reduced to an acceptable level?