IGNORED

LED flashlight and LED tail light

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

Something I don't understand. I have a mini-mag light, and put the conversion kit on it to make it a LED flashlight. Powered by 2-AA batteries. Man, that makes some light. Has 3 LED bulbs in it.

How come can I not get that brightness from LED lights on the back of the bike?

I have the same flashlight and it was a simple conversion. My son (a C.O. at Green Haven Correctional in NY) sent me the small mag lite with the 3 LED's and your right...It is bright!! Would be nice to have something that simple for the back of my bike, especially since I get off work at 11pm and it's always dark outside.

there are several different types of led's available and all have a different range, what you may want to notice is that the lights in your converted flashlight may be very bright, however try looking at it from a indirect angle and you wont see the brightness and that style light would only be good if the person behind you is in direct line with the light.

so when your looking at the l.e.d be sure and see how wide the band of light goes, and the wider the band , the dimmer the light will appear.... so you have to do your homework and decide what best fits your needs. there are several styles to choose from.

mike

To expand on what eusa1 said.

There are MANY different LEDs on the market.

The emitter puts out a set quantity of light.

this light can be shaped into any beam pattern by the optics on it, be it a lens, reflector or a combination of them.

On a tail light, you want a wide spread of light, up to a hemisphere of light.

On a flashlight you want a narrow spread of light, normally a cone that is 3 to 12 degrees wide.

IF you take the same amount of light and put in in a 12 degree beam or a hemisphere, the viewer will see more light in the tight beam of the flashlight, but someone that is 20 degrees off axis will see very little light.

SO with that said, the brake light of you bike should be as bright as you can afford to make it.

Guest Ken8143

helpful information. So - some of the LED lights I see on trucks - multiple LEDS - are they set at various angles to get that spread?

Check out the below thread about the Radiantz LED tail light change. Well worth the few minutes is took to install.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13349]New Handlebars & tail light - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

:thumbsup:

• 6 years later...