IGNORED

New Honda V4

CrazyHorse

I guess Hondas coming out with a new V4 motor

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/2wheeltuesday/a47519bf40f691d9527c6678c627391b

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/2wheeltuesday/80179491dbb16f3caf173d078525f5fa

http://feelv4.com/en_GB/pages/mainpage/nointro/cid:001/gap:003/lm:gb1/af:a01/ap:h01/cr:E03/ln:en_GB

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/26/spy-shots-new-honda-v4-motorcycle-caught-testing/

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/2wheeltuesday/a47519bf40f691d9527c6678c627391b

I guess it will be 200 hp V4 1200 cc motor and have cylinder shut off for better gas mileage what a concept.

Boy that would be nice in a 1st Gen package.

At least some manufacture is thinking ahead.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Well I know there are a few of us(SkyDoc17, Magnawake and I ) that are going to be waiting with anticipation for a look at this new V4 from Honda. My main ride has been a Honda V65 Sabre for the last 25 years. And the Beast is still running strong. The Venture Roayale was a bike I thought Honda should have developed as well and not just as an after thought like they did. Then they killed the Sabre and Produced the ST1100.

I was at a honda dealership this week and they said honda had discontinued the 1800 vtx. I didn't know that. The vtx was a bad bike but I didn't think it sold well. I hardly ever saw one. I believe if they had come out with a vtx with windshield, saddlebags and maybe fairing it would have sold better, but the Japanese didn't ask me.

Not for me either I just like the fact they are devolping new things and I like the fact that its a 1200 V4 with such innovations as cylinder deactivation. Do we really need 1800 cc's? I guess I'm disappointed with Yamahas lack of innovation pushing the envelope.

yep... another "crotch rocket" ... cool looking tho. One thing I don't understand (well, there's ton's of things I don't understand but..) ... why is there so much clearance at the rear between the tire and fender? These bikes aren't used for jumping hills, etc ... they're basically "flat-tracking" so what's the need for so much clearance....???

Coming from guys that ride 2nd gen barko-loungers I guess that's to be expected:rotfl::hurts:. The Sabre's and Magna's where much more like the V-max than anything else. But the Interceptors have been great Sport touring bikes like the new FJR 1300 and Concours1400. Maybe Honda's just trying to get a little peice of that market.

• 1 month later...

There is a review of the new Honda V4 along with pictures at Motorcycle.com.

Looks like a sport touring bike without the luggage. Has a drive shaft and is available in any color you want as long as it is red. Will be available sometime in 2010 with a dual clutch system, and even a fully automatic 6 speed. The article is worth reading. Probably not something I'd buy but its nice to know the V4 still has appeal to the major manufacturers.

I'm with you guys, just another crotch rocket,

and besides,

"Looks like a sport touring bike without the luggage"

What does that mean?

Steve

Steve,

It's about half way between a sport bike and a sport-tourer, hence the sport-tourer without luggage ... sport-tourers such as the Concours, Concours 1400, FJR, ST1300, etc, all come with hard bags (luggage).

This is redesigned VFR, and Honda is choosing to use the word "new". The current VFR has been a much used alternative for sport bike riders who don't want the "larger" sport-tourers, but still want the sport-touring aspect. Usually when I see current model VFR the rider has already installed hard bags, and some instances a top case. Aprilla had, may still have, their Futura which is a liter class sport-tourer but more sport-bike, and Ducati has their ST1200 ... both come with hardbags and are billed by the manufacturers as sport-tourers, but way more on the sport-bike side than say an FJR or Concours 1400.

If you look closely the bars are not as low as sportbike and there's a little more rake in the forks than on a sportbike. Bigger motor, smaller frame, shaft drive .. Honda is working both sides of the sport-tourer equation, with a little more the sport side. Might not be everyone's cup-o-tea .. but it is one hell of nice alternative for sport-touring riders.

Curt

I was at a honda dealership this week and they said honda had discontinued the 1800 vtx. I didn't know that. The vtx was a bad bike but I didn't think it sold well. I hardly ever saw one. I believe if they had come out with a vtx with windshield, saddlebags and maybe fairing it would have sold better, but the Japanese didn't ask me.

I'd like to have an 1800N with a six speed and electronic cruise. I had a 1300S and to me it was just geared to low.

Steve,

It's about half way between a sport bike and a sport-tourer, hence the sport-tourer without luggage ... sport-tourers such as the Concours, Concours 1400, FJR, ST1300, etc, all come with hard bags (luggage).

This is redesigned VFR, and Honda is choosing to use the word "new". . .

While it is true that all the bikes you mention come standard with hard bags, the original Concours and the ST1300 handle more like a Goldwing than a sport bike, and the FJR is as sporty a handler as the VFR 800 Interceptor. The FJR that I rode handled better than the Kaw ZR7-S 750 I use to have.

Also this is a brand new engine,, 76 degree V4, unlike the 800, the ST1300, and the Sabre which were all 90 degree V4s.