IGNORED

Zeus ZS 508W Modular Helmet

SaltyDawg

Ok, to start this off. Those who don't know me should know that I have a rather large mellon on my shoulders. So consiquently it's hard for me to find a helmet to fit properly especially a full face or modular helmet. Every one I tried on would push back on my chin uncomfortably so I have worn a 1/2 or 3/4 for the past 6 years. After going over the 100,000 mile milestone on my RSV I got to thinking just how lucky I have been not to have been in a major MC accident or a minor one for that matter.

The wife has been talking lately about going to a half helmet because of the heat or at least a 3/4 and I am somewhat ok with the 3/4, I am adamatly against her wearing a 1/2. Being the hypocrite that I am I used the excuse of my abnormally large "MELLON" as the excuse for my choice in helmet.

Putting all that together and I decided to get a Zeus Modular helmet and give it a try. Several years ago I tried on a Zeus XL at Myrtle Beach Bike Week and although it was a bit snug it did have chin room, more so than any other helmet I have ever put on. So after much deliberation I pulled the trigger and ordered a 3XL (told you it was a big mellon) Zeus ZS 508W helmet and here is my take on this $90.00 Modular helmet.

The helmet came with two helmet bags and extra hardware. Right out of the box I noticed that it had a pretty good finish on it. The flip mechanism worked easy and I was anxious to pull it over my head. The helmet slipped on like it was made for me, plenty of room inside(in fact I had to wear a schampa head rag to get that perfect fit feel). Now for the real test, closing the chin bar. When I dropped and locked the chin bar I was surprised to find about an inch to and inch and a half distance from the helmet to my chin. So far so good. Next thing I noticed was there was a lot of room around my ears, enough in fact for a headset with room to spare. The helmet feels sturdy as does the locking mechanism. Rode to work this morning and although it took some getting used to I really enjoyed the helmet.

Lets get the bad out of the way first off. Over 55MPH I started getting wind noise, it wasn't terrible but it was noticable and coming from around the face shield at the top. I closed all vents to make sure and it made no difference at all. Like I said it wasn't terrible but after things being quite for the low speed it was noticable. I usually wear ear plugs with my half and 3/4 anyway so no big deal for me. That was it for the bad.

The Good:

• No wind buffeting at all. (Most of my helmets have moderate buffeting)
  • Vents seemed to work well, I could feel cool air on top of my head with them open.
  • Chin vent directed air to face shield and kept it realativly fog free.
  • Face shield has several detent and locks securely in each one.
  • Fairly large view port so you don't get that claustraphobic feeling.
  • Plenty of room for sun glasses. No undue pressure on your ears.
  • Easy one handed operation.
  • Optional Dual Lense Face Shield
  • Optional Dual Lense "Electric" Fog Free Face Shield

If I were to give it an overall grade I would give it a A-.

Here is a link to a review of thier first gen modular.http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-helmet.htm

I just read on their site that the 2009 model is SNELL certified. That's a first for a Modular I do believe.

Here a a few pics of my helmet minus the neck roll. I hate those things.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/c72b7a22.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/7b213680.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/c3bc19e9.jpg

Edited by SaltyDawg

I have been looking at a few full helmets but the problem I have is weight. Anything that's just a wee bit too heavy will cause problems with my neck. Any idea what the weight of this particular helmet is?

EDIT: I found it.... "The Zeus 508 in size XL is a bit on the heavy side at 1741 grams (3 lbs. 13.5 oz"

Edited by SilvrT

Well the reason I sold my first RSV was because I had neck surgery and the Dr told me to never ride again. I had about 40% of the disk removed between the 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae.

That lasted 2 years before I was about ready to die from not riding. Helmet weight was a major concern for me too. This helmet just doesn't feel heavy, I can't explain it. I guess it may just be well balanced? Not sure, but I never even notice the weight difference between my shorty and the Zeus.

As a side note, I did notice a different feel with the chin bar up while riding. That could be from the wind hitting it and/or a change in balance on my neck. I will have to play with it on the way home today.

• 11 months later...

I bought a used Zeus modular helmet recently that was missing a hinge screw and washer. The Zeus website offers no support and I've tried several dealers local to the area with none having the Zeus brand. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find the washer and screw for the hinge or might have an extra set laying around?

Thanks for your help!

Salty,

When wearing my full face in good weather, I keep the shield up or if I don't like the temps, I tend to keep the face shield cracked, that little opening makes a big difference in the amount of "noise", for me anyways. Might give it a try..

I usually wear a 3/4 in summer, just a tad cooler :sun:

Good luck. I needed a hinge cover for my Nolan and like to have never found one. Finally got one at Dennis Kirk and it was the last one they had.

Thanks Don, I have a feeling I'll need some luck with this. I can make it work with a metric bolt and nylon washer but would prefer to have the factory hardware... something about being symmetrical :confused24:. I guess I could do the other side the same way. Anyone need a Zues helmet washer and screw?