IGNORED

Oil leaking. Help.

Just got back from Sturgis after 4,000 miles on my 2007 Venture. I noticed oil on the floor under the left side of my bike. It appears to be coming out of 1 of 4 drain hoses. Anyone know what causes this? I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to schedule an oil change. Could it be a problem that might be covered under the warranty?

Buck, most likely its overflow from the engine. Seems that if you add the full 3.9 qts when you change oil and due to the severe lean angle of the bike on its sidestand, some of that oul collects up top and drains out the tube. Next oil change you might try only adding 3.5 qts. It seems to work. I have been doing it for years with no problems.

Since it is under warranty by all means have the dealer look at it but im pretty sure thats your problem.

Buck, most likely its overflow from the engine. Seems that if you add the full 3.9 qts when you change oil and due to the severe lean angle of the bike on its sidestand, some of that oul collects up top and drains out the tube. Next oil change you might try only adding 3.5 qts. It seems to work. I have been doing it for years with no problems.

Since it is under warranty by all means have the dealer look at it but im pretty sure thats your problem.

:sign yeah that: I'm right with Ruffy on this one.

You didn't say how much oil, but if it is just a few drops, this is completely normal after several thousand miles of hard running, ESPECIALLY if the oil level is a bit high.

The crank case vent connects to the air plenums above the carbs, so all the hot oil mist that doesn't get sucked into the carbs collects on the inside of the plenem boxes and eventually works it's way down into the drain hoses. This is also why the left rear carb gets terribly nasty with oil film and dirt over time - some of that oil misses the drain hose while on the side stand and works it's way out the rubber tube above the carb and eventually makes a mess out of it all.

So, three things to know and do:

1. Make sure the oil level is NOT above the full line at the sight window when the bike is held straight up - that will make this problem much worse.
  2. Periodically spray some engine degreaser up on those left-side carbs under the tank when you are getting ready to wash the bike, then the hose will just blow all that ugly stuff off for you. No worry about aiming a spray nozzle up there - bikes are designed to get wet, and there is nothing in there to hurt.
  3. Once that oil starts to drip from the vent hoses, it will continue for quite some time, even if you correct the oil level. Nothing to worry about here, just know that it is the normal effect of oil mist coating the inside of the air plenums and vent hoses and SLOWLY working it's way down to drip out.

And when you see a bunch of nasty black mess on the end of your side stand at the end of a long day, well, that is just the same oil mist that has been coming out those vent hoses while you are riding. So no worries, mate, just enjoy the ride and keep some engine degreaser in the garage!

Goose

One small thing is make sure it Is Not the shock that has dumped the oil and gone bad. Mine looked like it was coming from the hoses until I investigated closer and saw the oil all over the shock....then I noticed the very bouncy ride and ease of pushing on the seat and it bouncing rather easy.

Why has nobody mentioned what the real cause is?!?!?!?!!

Heck - an RSV at Sturgis, amonst all them HOGS!!!!

sheesh - your RSV is just leaking to be "one of the boys" :smile5:

On a more serious side -- i had the same issue with my 07 - caused by both items mentioned, overfill after an oil change and defective shock. The shocks are a known issue...

Why has nobody mentioned what the real cause is?!?!?!?!!

Heck - an RSV at Sturgis, amonst all them HOGS!!!!

sheesh - your RSV is just leaking to be "one of the boys" :smile5:

On a more serious side -- i had the same issue with my 07 - caused by both items mentioned, overfill after an oil change and defective shock. The shocks are a known issue...

OH NO ITS THE HOG FLU IT MUST BE CONTAGIOUS :whistling:

My '07 RSV must be different. When I change the oil and filter I can put in 3 qt. and it is in the center of the site glass. My '97 took 3 1/2 qt to center line of site glass. When I drive it and then check the oil level it is still in the center of site glass.

tew47