Do you need another starter or can you clean up the one you have and put new brushes in it. The only thing that would wear out a starter is the groved armature surface going bad. Or a bad winding. Most of the time a good cleaning and brushes will get it back up and working.

The spaces between the lobes on the armature can become gobbed up and create dead spots. Along with new brushes cleaning the slots can rejuvenate many starters.

Yep, sure can, and often if yo can't find the exact right brushes you can get something close ans shave it down to fit. I don't think your brushes would be worn that bad though, probably a good cleaning and lube, and you'd be back to having fun. I'm sitting here all day doing nothing, so if you want some help, it's a 2 hour run and a 1 hr fix if you don't need brushes.519.753.six eight five six.

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you,thank you for the offer.I have run a trickel charger for the past few day;s ,and all seems well .Right now!,starter is turning over pretty good.I did price the brushes and there around $140.00.Is it a big job to get the starter off,and do the brushes? Thanks..........Stan

There's two bolts and the wire holding the starter on, but it's in behind the front exhaust system, you'll have to lay down to get at it and maybe remove the chin faring in the front for easier access. Getting it back in is more fun. If you take it apart, make very sure that you mark up the outside of the case so that it goes back together identical to the way it came apart. That will save a lot of frustration when you go to install the wire again.

Before you do all that though, check your battery terminals to make sure they are clean (so you clean them) and tight. Also check the main ground at the lower, front, right side of the engine, close to the waterpump, clean and tighten it, and while you're at it, add a ground wire from the engine to the frame. You might find that the starter is no longer an issue, and can leave it there until you have to do 2nd gear.

Thanks for all the help ,2nd gear has all ready been done ,Iam told by the brier owner.It seems to act up when the motor is hot! Then the starter will have a klunk and maybe a miss and then maybe start!When the motor is cold no problem? What do you think.Maybe just in case I should get the starter from the earlyer post for $50.00 ? Thanks Stan

I got your PM but evidently you have your profile settings set to not receive PM"s so I posted my answer below.

Well if its that good maybe I should just buy it from you .LOL :)

Do you have pay-pal?

Any idea how many miles on that starter?

Thanks....................Stan

Well maybe you should LOL. I don't know how many miles on it I bought it off ebay and ended up not needing it but it is pretty clean and judgeing by that it probably doesn't have that many miles on it > I did test it and it does work fine. my paypal is charlesgraham4867@comcast.net $50.00 and $15.00 for shipping ought to cover it. As soon as I get notice on receipt of payment I will put it in the mail.

Thanks for all the help ,2nd gear has all ready been done ,Iam told by the brier owner.It seems to act up when the motor is hot! Then the starter will have a klunk and maybe a miss and then maybe start!When the motor is cold no problem? What do you think.Maybe just in case I should get the starter from the earlyer post for $50.00 ? Thanks Stan

The klunk is common on a hot start. Slow starting is mostly fixed with upgraded battery cables, clean connections and a cleaned up and properly lubed starter.