Back in June 09, I purchased a RSV and finally got my wife on the back of it after 27 years of hearing that there is no way she would ever get on a motorcycle. I guess after a couple of years working in ER that would do that to you. Well, I got her on and the question I have is, I feel the bike is a little top heavy and sometimes hard to control even when she is not riding with me. I have been told and have read that I should get a lowering kit, to help the balance and control of the bike. Just wondering if I should go ahead and make the adjustment or wait. I am suppose to get it done tomorrow. Any Ideas?:confused24:

Well all, I went and had the bike lowered, and for the short time I took it for a ride and come to a stop it was great. Just that short distance of 1 inch did make a difference. Thanks to all for the advice.:banana:

Edited by mick55
Add a comment

Back in June 09, I purchased a RSV and finally got my wife on the back of it after 27 years of hearing that there is no way she would ever get on a motorcycle. I guess after a couple of years working in ER that would do that to you. Well, I got her on and the question I have is, I feel the bike is a little top heavy and sometimes hard to control even when she is not riding with me. I have been told and have read that I should get a lowering kit, to help the balance and control of the bike. Just wondering if I should go ahead and make the adjustment or wait. I am suppose to get it done tomorrow. Any Ideas?:confused24:

Believe it or not, you do NOT want 'lowering' kits installed but instead "leveling" links which in fact will raise the rear of the bike a wee bit, enough to change the rake and trail geometry of the front end resulting in a much better handling bike. I installed them as I found the RSV a heavy sluggish bike, my buddy installed it as his 200 lbs girl friend rides with him a lot and others realized just how nimble the RSV really can be with those leveling links.

Don't lower the bike, if anything it will make it worse!

Diamond R sells them (ads seen here)

I lowered mine and experienced no problems at all. I did not experience the handling issues some talk about. It felt much more stable and I was able to put my feet flat on the ground.

I have a short 30" inseam.. it helped alot.

Another option that seemed to help alot is to lower the front about an inch.

I lowered my Rear 1.25 in... Liked it.. Then lowered the front an inch.. Liked that even better except the Kick stand was to long... So rather then going thru all the work to raise the front back up... I chose to remove the rear kit... and that seems to work pretty well.. Not as low as the back was..but better then stock.

Thats what my parts guy is telling me. I asked him about the leveling kit and he said that is what it would do just that make it level. I have short legs like you 30 inch legs. I know it sits high. What about your turns? Have any problems with that? Thanks for the input.

Thats what my parts guy is telling me. I asked him about the leveling kit and he said that is what it would do just that make it level. I have short legs like you 30 inch legs. I know it sits high. What about your turns? Have any problems with that? Thanks for the input.

A Leveling kit would RAISE the bike about an inch... it will improve handling... but in my case I wouldn't be able to touch the ground at all.

Baron's makes a lowering kit.. it sells for around $175.00 online... easy to install. I found the bike to handle just fine with the kit. With the bike sitting lower I felt in much better control while sitting still.. or backing out of Garage or parking. With the lowering kit I was able to sit flat footed. Without the lowering kit and the front lowered.. The Balls of my feet touch on flat ground.. still better then stock... but not quite as low. Lowering the front is FREE.... Just labor involved.

Honestly.. If I was to do it all over again.. I would have installed the lowering kit and called it good. Low speed turns were fine... Just drve to an emty parking lot and practice for a few minutes and you will be fine.

1. Zero psi in front forks

2. 35 to 45 psi in rear shock

3. There is in the TECH LIBRARY "Lower front end 1" Just need tools and time.

30" Inseam hmmmm the 1" lower above (free) a Rick Butler Seat Mod (see classifieds) and get M/C Boots that give ya 1 or 2 inches of heel.

Good Luck :)

Lots of controversy on this modification, it isn't for everone but lots of things aren't. I rode my bike a few thousand miles stock and then lowered the front end using the directions on this site. After riding with the front lowered for approx. 5,000 miles I lowered the rear using the Barons lowering kit and am very pleased with the results. You will need to shorten the kickstand about 2" to get enough lean. Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

I have the same issue on my venture. I lowered mine when I bought it. should have lowered the front too from what i hear. One thing I did do to improve the handling is put a roadstar front tire. seems to improve the handling. also at slow speeds practice using the rear break and NEVER put on the fronts with the front end turned either way. you want to be pointed straight ahead when finally stopping. Just my experience. I guess a lot depends on what bike you are comparing it to. when I bought my Venture the dealership manager even warned me that they were top heavy and I wasn't going to win any slow ride contests and most of the people he knew had put one on the ground. And this is from the dealer. I have learned to ride differently than when on my raider and have never put my venture on the ground. Mostly because I am aware of the issue. also a small bit of advice. never but never park on a downhill slope if the front escape route is blocked. The venture does not push uphill well. hope this helps..

My inseam is also 30. I had Rick Butler lower the seat and that helped. I was still on my toes.I did a lot of research and went with the Barrons lowering kit for the front and back. If you do this level the front and back even. There are two front kits from Barron,go with the best one and you will be happy.I rode 31000 miles stock and always was careful where I would stop and on what kind of surface. I just rode 7200 miles in 15 days with the lowering kits and don't know why I did not do this when it was new.I can now stand flat and firm on any surface. Hoe this helps.

• 1 year later...
Guest rosterer

I am new to this site & the bike also. My inseam is more like 29"! I am only 5'4". I can ride the RSV fine while moving (I am an experienced rider on smaller bikes), but with a rear passenger, and not touching flat foot, stopping can be somewhat touchy. I did drop it once with my wife on it standind still at an intersection (sloped down!!). What are my best solution(s)??

My 08 has the barrons kit in the front and rear I'm thinking about putting the rear back to stock. I have had no real major issues with the bike being lowered, it is very easy to control ay low speeds and my feet are firmly on the gound also, my in seam is 28".

I think all this discussion about raising or lowering, and what works best, accomplishes only one thing, and that is to confuse folks. Leveling is the key, and it doesn't make any difference how it's accomplished. The bike comes from the factory lowered in the rear to give it that 'cruiser' look. So if you're shorter, then lower the front, if you're taller raise the rear, and if you're into looks, and don't give a hoot, leave it stock..... Simple.....

I think all this discussion about raising or lowering, and what works best, accomplishes only one thing, and that is to confuse folks. Leveling is the key, and it doesn't make any difference how it's accomplished. The bike comes from the factory lowered in the rear to give it that 'cruiser' look. So if you're shorter, then lower the front, if you're taller raise the rear, and if you're into looks, and don't give a hoot, leave it stock..... Simple.....

That's a good point.. I'm soon to have the front end off the bike and would like to know more about trying the front end vice the lowering links (which work fine for me).. Hmm wonder where I put those!

:confused24::confused24::confused24: My inseam for jeans is 31 inches. So add an inch or so for touching the ground. I can flat foot my bike no matter what type of boots/shoes I am wearing. I have 40 psi in the rear shocks, and 4 psi in the front. WHY do so many people, with comparable inseams have a problem?? I have seen this many times on this site, and I could never understand, why someone with a 31 inch inseam could not flatfoot this bike????

:confused24::confused24::confused24: My inseam for jeans is 31 inches. So add an inch or so for touching the ground. I can flat foot my bike no matter what type of boots/shoes I am wearing. I have 40 psi in the rear shocks, and 4 psi in the front. WHY do so many people, with comparable inseams have a problem?? I have seen this many times on this site, and I could never understand, why someone with a 31 inch inseam could not flatfoot this bike????

It's the difference in builds. Light weights will sit low in the saddle, but those of us with more butt padding will sit a couple of inches higher..... just because.... :)