IGNORED

Questions on Skyline Drive and BRP...

yamadawg

We are finalizing the plans for our upcoming trip and have a few questions regarding the Shenandoah Valley, riding Skyline Drive from Front Royal south to the Blue Ridge Parkway, then to the southern end of the BRP. We will be coming from Cape Charles VA to Fredricksburg, then Front Royal.

Any suggestions regarding the travel from Cape Charles to Front Royal?

How long should we expect to spend on these portions of the trip...

How much time does it take to make the run down Skyline Drive?

Any tips on points of interest during this section?

We would like to take our time, riding leisurely, enjoying the views, and tent camping along the way during this part of the trip. Internet access in the evenings will be desired.

How much time should we allow for the portion of the trip down the BRP?

Same as above, any points of interest and camping suggestions. Randya recommended Carolina Hemlocks Park, which sounds great, but we would like some additional suggestions just in case the timing does not work out.

Thanks!

Don

Don,

I have riden both a few times. Skyline is about 106 miles long at 35 mph. Tons of overlooks and only 2 cross points to get off early (At the third marks). I have done this trip in as little as 4 hours or as long as...... you get the picture. There are services on this route available and you will get a map with info when you pay your entrance fee.

The BRP is a different barrel of snakes. The BRP is about 480 miles end to end and has a posted speed of 45 mph (and they do check, ask my son). There are camping and food services available however last time I was there (last year) no fuel on the BRP. Any of the stops along the way should have a nice little map available and there is no fee to use. Again there are many overlooks available and many times the cross roads on and off the BRP are as fun and interesting as the BRP itself. Personally I find the route to be a Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde thing in a great way. The Virginia portion tends to be more laid back in nature while the N Caroline part more technical in nature. Either section is a ball and be always on the look out for action. From a wide selection of wild life to distracted drivers gazing.

As far as time on the route again this will be determined by your alotted time and desire to dig in to the surrounding pleasantries. I have done the whole thing in as little as two days but longer is better. You should also check out the web as there are lots of informative sights available. Also you can find out any sections that are being detoured as there was last year. I don't remember much of specific things that you need to do or see, I do remember a good meal at the Little Switzerland area however a good portion of the fun of this trip is the exploration. Also there usually are trials at many of the overlooks, never went far on any but they are there, just remember about the wild life.

I am going back up the BRP myself again at the end of August, maybe our paths will cross.

All the best,

Norm