IGNORED

Harley Exhaust Mod

Smilerider

I have recently purchased the harley mufflers to complete the exhaust mod for my RSV. From the posts I have seen, the baffle drill out is to be done with a 1 1/8" hole saw. My question is, is this the correct size? The pipe coming from the center of the muffler is closer to 1 5/8"... I also notice looking down the pipe from the tail end, that one pipe has a "wavey" baffle that does not complete a solid plate, while the other muffler has an area that looks like 4 parts coming together. Can someone help clue me in here so that i perform this correctly.. I am also curious if there are any changes that will need to be made to the carbs...

:bagpipes-emoticon:

Unless you have something different than I have the 1 1/8" hole saw is the ticket. You're going to need a 12" extension to reach the center piece. When you are done you should be able to look right through the muffler.

As far as the drilled out pieces, sometimes it will stick in the bit but most of the time the piece will just stay in the muffler. All of mine remained in the muffler. Don't think it is a problem.

No one I know had to re-jet the carburetors, seems to work fine.

Of course you need a bracket to attach the HD muffler to the RSV. Other than that they slip right on.

BOO

The left pipe when looking from the rear of the bike is easy to do. There is only one small part to break through.. It is the right side pipe that I am confused with. This pipe is MUCH heavier than the other and seems to be completely solid inside. There seems to be a lot more metal and the inside pipe does not seem to have a solid plate. I am not able to see through it or even see the transmission of light through it.

The left pipe when looking from the rear of the bike is easy to do. There is only one small part to break through.. It is the right side pipe that I am confused with. This pipe is MUCH heavier than the other and seems to be completely solid inside. There seems to be a lot more metal and the inside pipe does not seem to have a solid plate. I am not able to see through it or even see the transmission of light through it.

I bet you have a set of pipes with a Catalytic Converter in it and I'm not sure you can use that pipe. There was some talk here on the forum about the pipes have the converter in them but I didn't pay much attention to the post. Maybe you can do a search or someone will jump in that knows what to do with those pipes.

Sorry,

BOO

Here's an old post from Hilliss...

David -

You want "non-catalyst" mufflers. They need to be off a HD Touring Bike (Road King, and many other models). You can use other mufflers with the catalyst (I have) and these will be what your HD dealer will have as they are on the newer HD's.

Or you can look around, (craigslist, eBay, etc) for pipes taken off an older HD (new take offs are out there) without the catalyst.

Here are the P/N's (part numbers) you are looking for....

They will end with the following numbers if they are non-catalyst mufferls off a touring HD.

95a

or 98a

Make sure you check the P/N's on BOTH mufflers

I used a 1 3/16 hole saw on a 12" extension. It may have taken a little longer but the plug was TOTALLY taken out. There were no ridges on either end, just a smooth pipe from one end to the other.

The drilled out plugs did stay in the muff but I just dropped a 1" brass drift thru and it brought the plugs out.

OK, if you haven't done it yet, you need to drill out the catylitic converter. It's not hard at all, just get an aircraft drill bit, say 1/4", approx 12" long and drill a series of holes (as close as you can get to each other) around the OD of the converter, then a solid bar from the other end and knock it out.

Steve

Thanks once again to everyone that has responded. I have mounted these pipes and can not say that i honestly like the sound. I did try to drill out the cat but it was not working and just from the sound on the other side I think I will look for the correct ones, or even another brand.

Thanks again everyone. It is great to have such a huge knowledge base out there!

JM.......

Always smilin when I'm ridin!

:bagpipes-emoticon: