IGNORED

Re-packed the Bub's

Yesterday I finally got around to re-packing my Bub mufflers. When I did the HD fishtail mod I found that all of the original packing had long gone and with the new tips there was now a 1/4" gap all around the rear baffle plate.

I found this packing on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-x-38-MOTORCYCLE-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-PACKING-WRAP_W0QQitemZ140148216528QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35573QQcmdZViewItem

I pulled the baffles back out and I was able to use 1/2 of a sheet and get about 3 wraps on each baffle. I used some high heat RTV silicone to fill the gap left around the rear baffle plate.

The muffs now have a deeper tone and are a lot quieter when cruising but still sound good when getting on the throttle.

Here's a link to the post about the HD fishtail install.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=114428#post114428

Did the same thing tonight myself. OK, here's my take:

1- BUBs stock are to loud, even w/earplugs

2- re-packed BUB's are still to loud... better but loud

3- BUBs construction quality is really good...

4- Getting the tail cones off to repack was a pain. Parts fit tight! which is good in the long run.

If you think that repacking will tame these babies, thinks again. Sell them and move onto HD pipes or modified stock.

My two cents as I search for some HD pipes.

Damn, if you think the Bub's are too loud, you should hear a set of Baron's Nasty Boys. Mine are wrapped (by the previous owner0 pretty tight. I think they're too quiet, but I'm too lazy to take em apart and redo it. I'll just wait till they blow out. I was told tonight that I sound like a NASCAR on the highway when it's almost on the rev limiter. I passed him with wide open throttle around 80 mph in 3rd gear. He was in his Dodge diesel pickup.

Did the same thing tonight myself.

If you think that repacking will tame these babies, thinks again. Sell them and move onto HD pipes or modified stock. .

Low threshold for pain there Bob???...LOL I thought the Bub's sounded fine before I repacked them. Now Mama likes them too.

You haven't heard loud until you've ridden a Roadie with V&H Longshots.

Wrapping the baffels to tight will not quiet you down. You should wrap them lose and use wire or tape to hold the wrap in place while you install the baffel. When you use to much packing it will act like a solid and not allow any sound to be baffeled.

I used some of that yellow pipe wrap insulation on the baffles for my shadow. Everyone said that itwill burn up quick. Well I took out the baffles after 2000 miles and it looked just like it did when I put it in. It was cheap only about $2.50 a pack and I had enough to do them several times.

Wrapping the baffels to tight will not quiet you down. You should wrap them lose and use wire or tape to hold the wrap in place while you install the baffel. When you use to much packing it will act like a solid and not allow any sound to be baffeled.

Thanks Eddie, that's what I did too.

Not so much a low threshhold of pain as my hearing is part of my living. I teach multi media production which includes critical sound mixing. I also consult on acoustic modifications to critical recording/mixing spaces. I've lost enough hearing to age and a few (well many) loud concerts. Got to hold onto what's left ya know.

It use to be that in our riding group, the HD's could not fire up until the metrics did (we are pretty quite and you could not tell we were running with the HD's throbbing)...No I have to wait with the HD's. Oh well.