Suddenly, my starter button went from silky smooth to hard to push. It doesn't hang up and keep grinding the starter. My first inclination was to remove that one screw on the bottom and "start exploring" but I thought to first check in here to see if that is wise. I did spray contact cleaner all around the switch without any success. Thanks for any input.

Carl and I took mine apart and cleaned it really well then loaded it up with dielectric grease. It was easier to get apart after I got it off the handlebar by taking the top part of the handlebar apart and then slipping the whole thing off the end of the bar. While I was in there I also cleaned and greased the kill switch. Not difficult but be careful. There is a small bearing behind a spring loaded clip.

Wayne

Hey Larry,

I live in South Central Pennsylvania, and our riding season is not the longest to begin with. With that being said, I try not to do any repairs that will "take my bike out" for any length of time unless it is something important.

I have had really good luck using WD40 on both the Kill Switch side and Choke side switches. Hold a rag under the switch housing, and drown that baby with WD40, keep working all of the buttons and see if that will loosen that pesky switch up. If this does work for you like it did for me, redo it every month or so thru the riding season or if you get caught in the rain or get "crazy" with the power washer!:thumbsup2:

January is a great time of the year to take those switch housings apart!

January is a great time of the year to take those switch housings apart!

In January, we're in Mercedes, TX, where you can ride all winter! Don't mean to be mean...I did my time in many years in Iowa winters.

I'll try the WD-40 before I take the switch housing apart. Thanks for the input everyone. I was concerned about springs flying around. Might still have to split the housing.