IGNORED

computer help

rod

My desk top fried the power supply. New one installed and it booted ok. 1 week of security uploads (automatic) and on restart windows loads (win 2000 pro) then freezes when IE starts. On restart (hard reboot) Error message... cannot find winnt\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys . When I try to recover with the win2000 cd it wants a boot disk A: I cant find it ( how long since you used a floppy disk). I have a external HD Western digital hard drive for a back up . I got a command prompt and got to the drive but can not open the recovery file. A long time since DOS and was not too good then. Can any one help me out. I have some work stuff that is not backed up and don't want to loose those files. I am useing my OLD laptop but it will die soon. Thanks for any help. Rod

Guest tx2sturgis

Just a guess here but it sounds like you have a bad ( or failing) hard drive. It may have even caused the power supply to work overtime, or maybe the power supply going south caused some voltage surges in the drive. Either way, I'd pull that drive if it has valuable data and hand it over to a recovery guru soon. In the meantime, try a new drive and reload the OS on the desktop.

Is the CD in the boot order ?

Does the CD work ?

if not ---

A: may be the only in the option till you change the setting in the Bios to boot from the CD

most computers press delete during boot on a Dell it is F2

You may be able to restore with a last known good config I have never found this to work worth a try

press F8 while windows is starting up you you will see a few options

I have also found some cases just starting in safe mode then restarting works

If you can get A win xp cd this may be a good time to upgrade

From Microsoft website

Windows 2000

To replace the Isapnp.sys file in Windows 2000, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
  2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
  3. At the C:\Winnt prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:expand cd-romdriveletter:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
    For example, type: expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers
    Note The steps in this article assume that you installed Windows 2000 to the C: drive. The actual location of your Windows installation may vary.
  4. After the file is successfully expanded, type exit to exit Recovery Console.
  5. Restart the computer.

IF nothing works I may have an Idea for you to get your DATA to a flash drive

using an Ubuntu cd I have to see if it will work

I will try it in the shop on Tuesday to make sue it actually works and post here in the Am

Good Luck