IGNORED

air filter modicication 1st gen

Guest paru

I saw on another site a modification to use a fram CA-37-17 air filter in a 1st gen air box. the filter lies flat across the air box with an adapter plate that sits where the ground off inside lip of the airbox was.

has anybody tried this? is there potential problems with this type of mod?

it sure would save soome cash if this really works.

paru

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey.

Been working on making the adaptor plate for the air box for my bike. I've talked to the guy that came up with this and he's been using it with much success and he's happy with the performanace. No down side it seems like. There is some grinding to do to the air box internally and there is no change in the air flow as far as restriction. No holes are added to the airbox The plate itself sits on the top lip of the box and we are both using 1/8 inch aluminum plate for that. The biggest part of the change is getting the plate to fit exactly to the box and the inner cut to fit of the filter (CA 3717) The corners of the filter need to be nipped a bit to fit right but that's not a problem.

Downside: You can't go back to the old filter after grinding the inner lips from the box.

Upside: Yammy filters run what, $42.00 to $55.00 bucks a crack so you put off as long as possible. The Fram CA 3717 runs $9.50 to $12.00 so it ain't a big expense. You change more often. Open the top, drop it in. Painless.

I'm looking forward to finishing mine. I'll keep ya posted.

Mike

there is no change in the air flow as far as restriction.

What's your evidence behind this statement, how do you know that the airflow is the same across both types of filters?:detective:

All the same, I am very tempted given that the Yammy ones cost $50 or there abouts. I'd really like to change mine more often but OUCH!

Watching with interest.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

• 3 weeks later...

My test for air flow through a Fram filter was aided by K&N (without their knowledge or consent I might add) at a local parts store. K&N had a display with a plexiglass box and a blower motor and a tube attached to the top with a ping pong ball inside. The top of the box had a hole cut in it to fit a K&N filter and a Fram filter. Of course the point they wanted to make was the increased air flow with the K&N filter. With the K&N filter in place the ball shot to the top of the tube showing unrestricted air flow. With the Fram in place the ball hovered towards the bottom. I went outside and pulled the stock filter out of my bike. It's about a month old. When I placed it over the hole the ball hovered at about the same place as it did with the new Fram filter. That told me the air flow restriction was similar on both the filters I using now and intend to use after the mod is finished to the air box. Good enough for me.

Thanks to K&N for providing the test equipment to answer my questions. :witch_brew:

Instead of an adapter plate has anyone taken the time to research if theres an alternate car or bike filter out there that would work just as well/ Just curious,of course a K&N would still be my first choice especially with it being cleanable.

Instead of an adapter plate has anyone taken the time to research if theres an alternate car or bike filter out there that would work just as well/ Just curious,of course a K&N would still be my first choice especially with it being cleanable.

A google search turned up these after several tries...

http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/NU-2267

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=4030803

http://www.onestopmoto.com/K_N_Air_Filter_YAMAHA_p/sbkn-raf-0673.htm

http://www.gdlcycles.com/asp1/modetails.asp?ItemID=12-94470

I have also looked for alternates after being hosed 68 bucks for mine 4 months ago..... would not that 1/2 thick industrial foam tape ( like weatherstrippng foam but wider and thicker) take up the gap and give you the seal, and it would be soft enough, so you would not have to do any grinding??? My local bike shop ( not the dealer) also mentioned a washable alternative, but never asked the price, when I pick up my new battery this week I'll ask him.............JOHN

The last one Dr_Bar listed sure looks interesting...

http://www.gdlcycles.com/general/PU/PU-12-94470--1.jpg

EMGO part number 12-94470 listed several places at $20

This might be a real thing...

Has anybody TOUCHED one to see about quality

The company DOES show it as a direct replacement item for the 83-93 Venture.

That was fantastic research i can't wait to see how these might work. I hope everyone looking this over. Thanks again Dr, Bar for the time taken to to look these up. Thats what makes this site great.:bowdown:Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious......how much cash will you be saving?

Airbox/filter flow is a science.....and Yamaha has it down to an art.

It affects mileage as well as noise (dB) ratings.

Know how deep the water is before you jump off the bridge......

I've been running that mod for two seasons now. My 83 gets 40-42 MPG running the dragstrip we call I95. I get 48-49 touring the White Mountains in NH.

No noticeable noise. No noticeable loss of power

I don't "get it" .... why go to all this trouble .... what's the difference? (or have I missed the point?) I use a K&N in this bike and had one in my '85. All I ever did is clean it occasionally. Since both bikes came with the K&N in them when I bought them, I haven't spent a dime. :D

Your lucky that the prvious owner had already installed the K&N's for you saving you alot of money. The thread was started because some one was wondering if there was an alternative to the OEM Yamaha part at a cheaper price. Of course the K&N's are a better alternative but the question was really about other alternatives.

Edited by PB&J
misspelling and ommisions

Your lucky that the prvious owner had already installed the K&N's for you saving you alot of money. The thread was started because some one was wondering if there was an alternative to the OEM Yamaha part at a cheaper price. Of course the K&N's are a better alternative but the question was really about other alternatives.

gotcha... but... wouldn't putting a K&N in be cheaper in the "long run"? How often does one change the stock air filter? I had my '85 for 6 years and now my '87 I've had...this will be the 3rd year. I guess it all depends on the length of time one keeps their scoot ... amount of riding (miles) ... etc, etc