Finally, I am nearing the end of very long list of things that my fairly new to me 86 needed and that I wanted. From finding and fixing an oil leak to new pads, new tires, rebuilding the carbs, finding and repainting to match a few replacment body parts and numerous other things, starting yesterday I am finally on the road. But yesterday was really really hot. Temps were well over 105; my thermometer here at the house registered 108.7; but I rode anyway and two up at that. Went on about a 25 mile ride. Now to my concern. The Temp Guage was just a tad over 1/2 way and in stop and go traffic was 3/4 the way to the red and the fan was running more than it was off. Is this normal in these conditions or do I have another project in store for me? I will be heading up to the Intl Rally and I expect the temps to be well over 100 most of the time I am running in and through Texas. Should I pull the radiator and have it rebuilt? I changed coolant, am running Amsoil 20/50, carbs are right on. Did the needle mod installing three #4 washers and does this thing run strong. No leaks of any sorts. Looking for input here. Thanks to all.

Normal. Nothing weird about it. Just make sure your anti freeze is in good shape and the fan does kick on about the time it hits the red zone.

Some guys install a toggle switch on the fan to kick it on manually when doing the stop & go around town to keep the temp down a bit.

Go ahead and flush the radiator if you already haven't done so Herb. It'll give you piece of mind if nothing else. Add a little engine ice to the coolant mix. When you're finished make sure that the drain valve is set back to 'OFF'. You'll probably run a few degrees cooler, but when you get into situations where there's a lack of air flow the temps will climb. I ran acrossed Nevada in '07 in 105 degs. with the '83 and the engine temp ran just under the red zone. I couldn't tell if the fan was kicking on or not at 75mph as the road noise drowned everything out. I changed out the coolant just before our Sierra ride last year and it did run a tad cooler....

Edited by Condor

Hi Herb-

Maggie and I were out yesterday for the Lockhart run. The temps matched yours. We ran about 160 miles or so. At 75mph and 2 up the temp gauge matched yours at 1/2 or a needle width above. In stop/go it went to 3/4 or so and the fan kicked on a lot. So, it sounds like you are right on. I am thinking about a lower temp fan control and the muzzie fan. That and a bit of engine ice might help. However, when the BBQ cooks in the trunk, nothing will help!!!

JB

P.S. I put a bit more safety chrome on the old girl in anticipation of your possible arrival at Lockhart. I understand the heat and why you didn't make it. But, it would have been nice to have another 1st Gen.

Yup! I agree with these guys. Sounds like your good to me. Even in the 70* - 80* weather, my 84 was running a lot hotter than I liked, so I put in a new stat, new/used radiator cap (the seal had blisters), & flushed out the old coolant and put in some new stuff. That alone made quite a difference. Now it runs where you describe. At the same time I also did the manual override mod to the fan. I didn't just stick a toggle switch on it though. I used a rear window defroster relay/timer along with the momentary switch that used to be the seek button for the stereo. I swapped out the stock stereo for a CD stereo last spring, and it wasn't being used anymore. I also took out the mute switch and put an amber lens and the bulb out of the relay to indicate when the fan was on. That setup works pretty good. When I hit the button in traffic, it comes on for ~10 minutes, hit it again and it comes on for another ~5 minutes. If you need a new stat, there is a Napa #156 and on the Napa box was a #33708 that I was able to cross reference to a Stant #13758 at my local auto parts dealer. A stat at the MC stealer was ~$30 and at the auto parts dealer it was ~$7. All are 180* stats. If you want any help with a mod like this, I can give ya the info ya need.

Hey, I wanted badly to attend but I just could justify 220 miles one way just to get fatter. The only other person from up this way was someone from Belton and Belton is about 75 miles, maybe more, closer to Lockhart. I am sure I missed a good event but there will be more. Are you attending the Intl Rally? Hope so, but again nobody from the DFW area is going. Guess I'll go it alone. I can wait until you see Mocha's long missing sister. She is sweet, just a little tacky but.......

Hi Herb-

Maggie and I were out yesterday for the Lockhart run. The temps matched yours. We ran about 160 miles or so. At 75mph and 2 up the temp gauge matched yours at 1/2 or a needle width above. In stop/go it went to 3/4 or so and the fan kicked on a lot. So, it sounds like you are right on. I am thinking about a lower temp fan control and the muzzie fan. That and a bit of engine ice might help. However, when the BBQ cooks in the trunk, nothing will help!!!

JB

P.S. I put a bit more safety chrome on the old girl in anticipation of your possible arrival at Lockhart. I understand the heat and why you didn't make it. But, it would have been nice to have another 1st Gen.

Yup, normal. I'm in Tucson and can relate to your temps. The 87's fan comes on with the gage about 1/8" below the red, could call it 5/8 maybe on the gage, and shuts off at about 1/2. One trek across the Mohave desert, temps 108 (no fun, by the way) at 80-90 mph, the gage sat maybe 1/16" below the red. Fan must have been running constantly. Weird, seems like the extra airflow at speed would compensate, but evidently not.

I do notice a slight tendency to ping with hot like that, so I run higher grade fuel on such a trek.

Jeremy