IGNORED

89 Venture, Cruise Control not working

louiepolly

I'm looking at a 89 Venture at a dealer, and it seems everything on the bike works except for the cruise control. They called the guy who had the bike for a year prior to trading it in and he said it never worked for him either. Where would be the first places to start checking. Thanks

When it is first turned on all the lights should come on. Then the resume and set lights should go out. If it does all that the diagnostics think the electronics are all good. If the thing doesn't light up at all look for a bad fuse or switch.

If it just won't set there is a very good chance it's the clutch lever pivot. Will it start in gear with the clutch out? That's another symptom of worn clutch lever pivot preventing it from depressing the switch.

Does the auto cancel on the turn signals work? The cruise uses the same sensor the auto cancel does. If the auto cancel doesn't work that pickup behind the speedometer may be the problem.

If you can press the set switch and the "set" light comes on but it doesn't hold there is a problem with the vacuum system. There is a hose that runs from the pump under the right fairing to the servo under the left fairing. At this age, it is suspect.

I think I have 2 complete spare cruise systems, so I should be able to come up with whatever you need.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's a bit more than I want to take a chance getting into unless I got the bike at a better price. The clutch pivot I could handle but don't want to start taking fairing pieces off ect., this time of year I want to be riding not working on a bike. Thanks Again, Looking at a couple of different one. Louie

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's a bit more than I want to take a chance getting into unless I got the bike at a better price. The clutch pivot I could handle but don't want to start taking fairing pieces off ect., this time of year I want to be riding not working on a bike. Thanks Again, Looking at a couple of different one. Louie

Its not really that bad.

Its not really that bad.

If you like it otherwise, offer them a ridiculously low price. Have the sales guy check with the service department on how much to fix it (A LOT!).

Ride without cruise until the first rainy day and then fix it yourself.

• 11 years later...
When it is first turned on all the lights should come on. Then the resume and set lights should go out. If it does all that the diagnostics think the electronics are all good. If the thing doesn't light up at all look for a bad fuse or switch.

If it just won't set there is a very good chance it's the clutch lever pivot. Will it start in gear with the clutch out? That's another symptom of worn clutch lever pivot preventing it from depressing the switch.

Does the auto cancel on the turn signals work? The cruise uses the same sensor the auto cancel does. If the auto cancel doesn't work that pickup behind the speedometer may be the problem.

If you can press the set switch and the "set" light comes on but it doesn't hold there is a problem with the vacuum system. There is a hose that runs from the pump under the right fairing to the servo under the left fairing. At this age, it is suspect.

I think I have 2 complete spare cruise systems, so I should be able to come up with whatever you need.

Had my 88 apart a few times. Your post is excellent and I checked everything you mentioned. If still not working where do I look next? Thanks again.

Had my 88 apart a few times. Your post is excellent and I checked everything you mentioned. If still not working where do I look next? Thanks again.

Your post implies that when you turn the cruise on all the lights operate properly. Is that correct?

What are the symptoms when you try to set the cruise? Does the "SET" light come on? If not you need to grab a multi-meter and check the clutch and both brake switches. If you don't find a problem with them the module may be defective.

Your post implies that when you turn the cruise on all the lights operate properly. Is that correct?

What are the symptoms when you try to set the cruise? Does the "SET" light come on? If not you need to grab a multi-meter and check the clutch and both brake switches. If you don't find a problem with them the module may be defective.

Going to take another ride and check . What module and where is it located?

Going to take another ride and check . What module and where is it located?

Cruise control module. It's behind the headlight.

As I recall a bad switch on the clutch or brakes will cause the "SET" light to flash briefly then the "RES" light comes on.

The clutch button on my 86 was broken in half, if I remember correctly the res light wouldn’t light with that switch open. I don’t recommend it but I tied the wires together, cruise works but it will start in gear without pulling the clutch. The brake switches can also do the same thing.